Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SOT: Wichita St. wants in Mt.West Conf.?
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
Westward ho?

Not sure why they would look west. MWC Commish states 'no interest'.

05-04-2016 04:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
RE: SOT: Wichita St. wants in Mt.West Conf.?
MWC requires its members to play football.

They would not allow BYU to be independent in football and park their other sports in the MWC. Why would they make an exception for Wichita State?

Now if Wichita St adds football, then that's a different scenario altogether.
05-04-2016 04:59 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
I would want WSU as a non-football member to offset Navy football only...but if they want to start some football team, no thanks.
05-04-2016 07:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
(05-04-2016 04:59 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  MWC requires its members to play football.

They would not allow BYU to be independent in football and park their other sports in the MWC. Why would they make an exception for Wichita State?

But Wichita is only desirable for their basketball program, their football would be dead weight. You don't let BYU do that because you actually want their FB program.

If I'm the MWC I would strongly consider adding Gonzaga and Wichita as non-football members.
05-04-2016 07:56 AM
TopCoog2016 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UH
(05-04-2016 07:56 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 04:59 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  MWC requires its members to play football.

But Wichita is only desirable for their basketball program, their football would be dead weight. You don't let BYU do that because you actually want their FB program.

If I'm the MWC I would strongly consider adding Gonzaga and Wichita as non-football members.
yes, they can do that while they wait on Texas Tech, TCU, Okie Lite and Kansas state.
05-04-2016 08:54 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Me too. The MWC has lost a lot of ground in basketball. UNLV was crippled this offseason, with the coaching controversies and losing so many of their players in the process.
05-04-2016 08:54 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
In this age of uncertainty why start football and attempt to jump to FBS? More than half of FBS will be relegated to the new FCS at some point and is that even worth the time and effort. Just play good hoops.
05-04-2016 09:00 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
if I'm the MWC...and I want to expand...I'd go after UTEP (they can't be happy with their new TV deal) if not UTEP, then NMSU. (they both have decent to strong hoops as well)
05-04-2016 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
No question Wichita State has a respectable basketball program... Good FBS conferences however aren't interesred in second best material... Now, if Wichita State football had the same appeal as their basketball pretty certain some leagues would look into skinning the cat other ways and welcome them with open arms.

I like to add the Shockers to offset Navy, basketball only of course, just not sure if this league wants to go bring back some old not so memorable experiences/moments they had with the old Big east.
05-04-2016 09:41 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Wichita is a no brainer as an Olympic sports addition. I would want nothing to do with their start up football program.
05-04-2016 10:13 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
The best option for them is not to attempt to immediately take the plunge into DI football. They need to take their time and give it a few years to see if it really is something they want. Don't bite off more than they can chew. Just nibble at first. Independent football or stay in the Valley and try a start up at that level first. In the end they could be wasting millions on something that will hurt the entire athletic program.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 05:55 PM by rabidTU2.)
05-04-2016 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-04-2016 09:00 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  In this age of uncertainty why start football and attempt to jump to FBS? More than half of FBS will be relegated to the new FCS at some point and is that even worth the time and effort. Just play good hoops.
That's good advice, most of the time. Wichita State might be an exception to the rule if the Koch Bros. are truly willing to finance an FBS-level football program. Question is, are they? I've heard yes and no from different sources.
05-04-2016 06:16 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(05-04-2016 05:54 PM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  The best option for them is not to attempt to immediately take the plunge into DI football. They need to take their time and give it a few years to see if it really is something they want. Don't bite off more than they can chew. Just nibble at first. Independent football or stay in the Valley and try a start up at that level first. In the end they could be wasting millions on something that will hurt the entire athletic program.

I think they should try it but only if they have the funds available to them.

No risk no reward, mentality at work.
05-04-2016 06:29 PM
Stooky57 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCONN, BC
i like withita for all sports but football for now................
05-04-2016 10:06 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
I dont even want their basketball. It doesnt add much in value at all. BBall doesnt account for much income and their market totally sucks. Id take VCU over them.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 12:27 PM by mtmedlin.)
05-05-2016 12:27 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(05-05-2016 12:27 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  I dont even want their basketball. It doesnt add much in value at all. BBall doesnt account for much income and their market totally sucks. Id take VCU over them.

Says the guy who thinks Antigua is a good coach
05-05-2016 12:37 PM
Advertisement

rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
(05-05-2016 12:27 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  I dont even want their basketball. It doesnt add much in value at all. BBall doesnt account for much income and their market totally sucks. Id take VCU over them.

VCU is in the east, but we need a western team to balance the league. Its really about geography. The key is having drivable games to and from Houston, Dallas, Memphis and Tulsa. That promotes rivalries and increases attendance. Having WSU in the west would give every team in the west an additional home game (home and away) with them and vice versa every season. WSU fans travel very, very well and sells out every game in their 10,500 seat arena. VCU adds none of that to the west. Again, its about geography and having a program that has been to the NCAA and Final Four multiple times, has a soldout venue every week and unlimited financial backing and potential. And lastly does VCU even want to leave their league? WSU does.
05-05-2016 03:56 PM
TopCoog2016 Offline
Bench Warmer

I can't believe a UCF fan would say this. Didn't UCF and USF start their programs in the 1990'? This is like the pot calling the kettle black. Wichita state could easily do the same thing.
05-10-2016 07:54 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(05-10-2016 07:54 AM)TopCoog2016 Wrote:  

I can't believe a UCF fan would say this. Didn't UCF and USF start their programs in the 1990'? This is like the pot calling the kettle black. Wichita state could easily do the same thing.

Ucf has been playing football since the 70's in a cow pasture.
05-10-2016 08:05 AM
TopCoog2016 Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-10-2016 08:05 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 07:54 AM)TopCoog2016 Wrote:  

Ucf has been playing football since the 70's in a cow pasture.

OK even so ucf is new to d 1 football. There is no reason to think Wichita state would be any different. My question with them would be "are you making the necessary commitment to be competitive." add them to the league in all sports except football. After five years at the FCS level add their football program.
05-10-2016 08:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.