Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Good news/bad news Big XII
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Good news/bad news Big XII
Not sure if this is good news or bad news, and yes I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but the article implies something is finally going to happen regarding Big XII expansion.

However, we're not mentioned, so every anti-MAC person can start praising the AAC (and pissing off MadDawgz). In lieu of the other thread on budget cuts, financial woes, keep in mind the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/3/1...cu-memphis
05-03-2016 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pgreen822 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Good news/bad news Big XII
(05-03-2016 02:01 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Not sure if this is good news or bad news, and yes I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but the article implies something is finally going to happen regarding Big XII expansion.

However, we're not mentioned, so every anti-MAC person can start praising the AAC (and pissing off MadDawgz). In lieu of the other thread on budget cuts, financial woes, keep in mind the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I'll admit.. I have been on the "NIU to the Big 12" bandwagon for a while. I thought that if we could renovate our stadium and actually fill the seats, it would be a huge step. This past weekend I changed my mind. I helped a buddy move from Carbondale, IL down to Austin, TX. On the way, we drove past the Baylor and University of Texas football stadiums. There is such a huge difference between athletic funding/fundraising at these schools versus NIU that I just don't see how we could make that leap.
05-04-2016 04:25 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(05-04-2016 04:25 PM)pgreen822 Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 02:01 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Not sure if this is good news or bad news, and yes I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but the article implies something is finally going to happen regarding Big XII expansion.

I'll admit.. I have been on the "NIU to the Big 12" bandwagon for a while. I thought that if we could renovate our stadium and actually fill the seats, it would be a huge step. This past weekend I changed my mind. I helped a buddy move from Carbondale, IL down to Austin, TX. On the way, we drove past the Baylor and University of Texas football stadiums. There is such a huge difference between athletic funding/fundraising at these schools versus NIU that I just don't see how we could make that leap.
Don't tell that to maddelusional... errr, i mean maddawg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
05-04-2016 04:36 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Are you sure pgreen82? Those may have been local high school stadiums you saw.
05-04-2016 04:47 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(05-04-2016 04:47 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

Are you sure pgreen82? Those may have been local high school stadiums you saw.

Hahaha no kidding. I went to a Texas High School Playoff game at Allen High School's stadium this year and it was so much beyond nicer than Huskie Stadium. It was night and day. Sure it couldn't fit as many people (but not by much), but my god it was just so much nicer...and in a horseshoe. Big time stuff.

also, I have been to a baylor game and went to UT's stadium to check it out once. Yes.......LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of NIU. But we all knew this. The thing is Baylor's old stadium, although still nicer than Huskie Stadium now, was pretty terrible compared to most B12 stadiums today. But they were smart and built a smaller stadium (I think 45K may be the max), but made it very technology centered (order food and drinks with an app to your seat) as well as double the amount of luxury seating. They saw into the future and nailed it. Luxury seating is the money maker and then making the rest of the stadium student friendly with technological advancements.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 06:15 PM by DogPoundNorth.)
05-04-2016 05:53 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Even in the Big 12 there are huge differences in financial budgets. The bad thing for college athletics is that if the differences continue to grow and you thin out many of the smaller power 5's and G5s , simply no one is going to watch anymore. A group of 30 really good teams competing at a high level has already been done, its called the NFL. Noone will care about college sports anymore, I know for one I wont.
05-04-2016 06:02 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Totally agree but...

How much money can you spend (within the rules) and have it still make a difference on the field?

How many locals and NIU alums don't care about NIU athletics because we are in the MAC and would show up pretending they have been fans since forever if we moved to the B12?

NIU doesn't need to have its stadium measure up to the rest of the B12. It needs to bring in more eyeballs via TV ratings to the conference and those eyeballs dont even have to be watching NIU games. The only way this NIU to the B12 works is with a B12 TV network which would be distributed in the Chicago and Rockford TV markets.

With all this very recent talk of pressure to get to 12 and to have a TV network I have renewed hope that it still is possible.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 08:03 AM by HuskieJohn.)
05-05-2016 08:00 AM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
With an AD that is potentially one foot out the door and the ongoing budget mess in Illinois, it just seems like terrible timing for there to be more conference shifting from NIU's perspective. If there is movement over the near term I just don't see how NIU is a part of that discussion (Big 12, AAC, other) especially if the AD positions ends up open.
05-05-2016 10:14 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(05-05-2016 10:14 AM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  With an AD that is potentially one foot out the door and the ongoing budget mess in Illinois, it just seems like terrible timing for there to be more conference shifting from NIU's perspective. If there is movement over the near term I just don't see how NIU is a part of that discussion (Big 12, AAC, other) especially if the AD positions ends up open.
Our AD will always have one foot out the door.
05-05-2016 10:57 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(05-05-2016 10:14 AM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  With an AD that is potentially one foot out the door and the ongoing budget mess in Illinois, it just seems like terrible timing for there to be more conference shifting from NIU's perspective. If there is movement over the near term I just don't see how NIU is a part of that discussion (Big 12, AAC, other) especially if the AD positions ends up open.

the big 12 will never happen. we are so far apart on budgets and money it just cannot happen. Iowa St is the bottom feeder of the Big12 and we are no where near them in budget, endowment etc. Also, I don't think our AD's should be characterized as one foot out the door. I think they are tremendously committed to us to do a good job, however, if they do, opportunities come knocking just like in our jobs.
05-05-2016 11:07 AM
StevenNIU Offline
1st String

Matt Rodewald wrote an article about this.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/05/05/r...ing-again/
05-05-2016 11:32 AM
Advertisement

sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Let's face it, NIU isn't and shouldn't be going anyplace.
The B12 just won't happen as there is no interest on their part and to fill spots in the AAC or elsewhere that may be vacated by team(s) moving into the B12 won't work either.
It's money. Plain and simple. We have a master plan but no dollars with which to execute it. Haven't even been able to begin even one phase of it. STF must be really frustrated as it's not his fault. Situation won't be changing anytime soon either.
This PP thing; is it binding in any way or are these just what they think should happen? Does anyone know for sure? You cannot expect an athletic department to take on way heavier travel costs by going into the AAC when you barely have the money to keep things going in a bus league like the MAC. For the immediate future, NIU needs to be the best it can be in the MAC, like it or not. Maybe the MVC Football Conference and the Horizon or Summit Leagues are in our future; in my mind that's as likely as the B12 or even the AAC right now.
05-05-2016 11:34 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
I guess the Big12 expanding, and NIU back-filling a gap in the AAC is obviously the most likely movement scenario if any right now. I am not a MAC loyalist and would love to see that move, even if they lose a team in the mix. I don't think the Illinois budget issues will scare anyone off, but pray they go away soon as they are certainly not helping.

Michigan/Ohio MAC opponents, aside from the fun occasional Toledo flair-ups, have never been exciting to our fans, we may as well bring in slightly glossier foes from the AAC and see if that ends up feeling more like home.

Hoping for a quick budget resolution and some positive athletic facility news so we can shake our tail feathers again!!!!

GO HUSKIES!
05-05-2016 11:36 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(05-05-2016 11:36 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  I guess the Big12 expanding, and NIU back-filling a gap in the AAC is obviously the most likely movement scenario if any right now. I am not a MAC loyalist and would love to see that move, even if they lose a team in the mix. I don't think the Illinois budget issues will scare anyone off, but pray they go away soon as they are certainly not helping.

Michigan/Ohio MAC opponents, aside from the fun occasional Toledo flair-ups, have never been exciting to our fans, we may as well bring in slightly glossier foes from the AAC and see if that ends up feeling more like home.

Hoping for a quick budget resolution and some positive athletic facility news so we can shake our tail feathers again!!!!

GO HUSKIES!

I think that is 100% spot on

05-05-2016 11:49 AM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
(05-05-2016 11:07 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  

the big 12 will never happen. we are so far apart on budgets and money it just cannot happen. Iowa St is the bottom feeder of the Big12 and we are no where near them in budget, endowment etc. Also, I don't think our AD's should be characterized as one foot out the door. I think they are tremendously committed to us to do a good job, however, if they do, opportunities come knocking just like in our jobs.

I agree on the Big 12 move as well and think that's total pipe dream for NIU. I was thinking more the dominoes as a result of a Big 12 move (ie AAC).

NIU's AD is a realistic candidate for the Minnesota opening. I am not questioning the commitment but rather saying if there is realignemnt over the coming months its very possible NIU is in the midst of an AD search which would likely hinder any chance of moving out of the MAC. I have a hard time seeing NIU even entertaining a move to another league (ie AAC) without the current AD who seems to have a good pulse on the landscape. I hope he stays but as you said, you never know when opportunity will come knocking and there seems to be a big one hanging out there right now.
05-05-2016 11:58 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

To talk about moving to the B12, our donor base and donation amounts would have to increase 10 fold. We would need to have 10 million plus committed from Alumni and donors.
05-05-2016 01:52 PM
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(05-05-2016 01:52 PM)klake87 Wrote:  To talk about moving to the B12, our donor base and donation amounts would have to increase 10 fold. We would need to have 10 million plus committed from Alumni and donors.
I'd argue more...

05-05-2016 01:55 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

NIU was 100 and majority is from student fees. If anything, student fees might go down over time.
05-05-2016 01:59 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I thought we put the "NIU to the Big12" thing to bed already, about 20 times?
05-05-2016 03:36 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(05-05-2016 03:36 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I thought we put the "NIU to the Big12" thing to bed already, about 20 times?
Not to MD lol

05-05-2016 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.