Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNC's academic scandal leaves professors, university in peril
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
UNC's academic scandal leaves professors, university in peril
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-in-danger

Quote:Belle Wheelan can tell you. The president of the regional accrediting agency charged with approving North Carolina's academic credentials remains troubled.

In her 11 years as head of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission, she has never seen anything like it -- a school this prominent being put on probation by her organization.

"It was devastating, it really was," Wheelan said. "Everybody keeps saying this is an athletic issue. This is much more than an athletic issue."

True, this is an entire University of North Carolina issue. Boiled down, it's an issue of whether the entire system is about handing out degrees or actually educating its students.

Last June, Wheelan's organization put North Carolina on probation for alleged "non-compliance with the principle of … academic integrity." Of course it stemmed from the ongoing NCAA investigation that seeks to determine whether there was systemic academic fraud for almost two decades in the Tar Heels' athletic department.
05-01-2016 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: UNC's academic scandal leaves professors, university in peril
One thing for sure, if UNC loses their accreditation? Than, the NCAA have no choice but boot them from the organization like they did with some of the HBCUs. Plus, UNC could lose their AAU status as well.
05-01-2016 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(05-01-2016 01:38 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-in-danger

Quote:Belle Wheelan can tell you. The president of the regional accrediting agency charged with approving North Carolina's academic credentials remains troubled.

In her 11 years as head of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission, she has never seen anything like it -- a school this prominent being put on probation by her organization.

"It was devastating, it really was," Wheelan said. "Everybody keeps saying this is an athletic issue. This is much more than an athletic issue."

True, this is an entire University of North Carolina issue. Boiled down, it's an issue of whether the entire system is about handing out degrees or actually educating its students.

Last June, Wheelan's organization put North Carolina on probation for alleged "non-compliance with the principle of … academic integrity." Of course it stemmed from the ongoing NCAA investigation that seeks to determine whether there was systemic academic fraud for almost two decades in the Tar Heels' athletic department.

I knew they'd wind up trying to take the rest of us with them. Before its all said and done, we'll all pay for their misdeeds. And they'll still end up with a slap on the wrist. **** them with a tetanus-laced rusty spike.
05-01-2016 02:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-01-2016 01:44 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  One thing for sure, if UNC loses their accreditation? Than, the NCAA have no choice but boot them from the organization like they did with some of the HBCUs. Plus, UNC could lose their AAU status as well.

The problem is that is the "nuclear option." They won't use it on an institution like UNC.
05-01-2016 03:19 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
There is a point where the quest for justice becomes injustice itself.

The UNC scandal has almost reached that point.

The folks responsible and involved with the fraud need to be done away with but the cold hard truth is that UNC does do a lot of good for the state and the people in it.

Yes, they need to clean house, but the University itself does not need to be crushed under heel. That would be an injustice.
05-01-2016 03:35 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
UNC isn't losing its accreditation. SACs has the power but rarely exercises it. Look at SC State, they've been a financial mess for years and finally get put on probation. They and the state don't do much until the start of the second year of probation and within a year it looks like they'll be fine. A school like UNC will have the people in place to provide the reports and all will be fine in regard to SACs.
05-01-2016 03:42 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
The accrediting body could have made it much worse for UNC, but this does look bad on paper. What doesn't help UNC is that their initial response to the inquiries were not sufficient, making it look a bit dire.

However, if you work at a school, and have even missed one of the metrics covered by the accreditation reviews, it's more common than not you DON'T come into compliance after the first time around. These guys give you a long enough leash to pass the process. If you bungle something up, they make you sweat it out. Honestly, you deserve to. Because it really has to be something bad to get nicked on these things.

That's all that's happening here. It's the "oh crap, will they or won't they make it" thing, and it's almost always for show. If the commission wanted to make a point with UNC, they could have made this harder for them. UNC can still be morons about this for a couple of years and still get out of this with their credentials untouched.
05-01-2016 09:59 PM
RIFRAF Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
Just like the new NCAA NOA on North Carolina, SAC's decision will be no more than a slap on the wrist. I hate to be so cynical...try not to be in most cases...but being a native/life long resident of NC I believe nothing significant will happen to Carolina...that's the way of life in the ole North State.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 07:33 AM by RIFRAF.)
05-02-2016 07:32 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
There will be a lot of hem and hawing, some very stern words put in print, but in the end absolutely nothing substantial will come to UNC. Not academically, not athletically.
05-02-2016 08:16 AM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
[Image: 57589984.jpg]
05-02-2016 08:30 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-02-2016 08:16 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  There will be a lot of hem and hawing, some very stern words put in print, but in the end absolutely nothing substantial will come to UNC. Not academically, not athletically.

It sure seems like the tea leaves are reading that way, and I do not know why, as it would appear that UNC has committed some very serious infractions requiring severe punishment.

And it's not like in recent years the NCAA always defers to big programs. Just ask USC and Penn State.
05-02-2016 08:38 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-01-2016 02:28 PM)AppinVA Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 01:38 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-in-danger

I knew they'd wind up trying to take the rest of us with them. Before its all said and done, we'll all pay for their misdeeds. And they'll still end up with a slap on the wrist. **** them with a tetanus-laced rusty spike.

For once I agree with an App fan. 04-cheers
05-02-2016 09:47 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Kept waiting for them to say UNC is guilty, time to put NC STATE on probation to make sure Chapel Hill learns their lesson. I am so disgusted that UNC really will get away with this.
05-02-2016 10:03 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
The NCAA has already shown how week they are in regards to this scandal. If this had been a smaller less powerful school, the book would have already been thrown at them.
05-02-2016 10:06 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
zero chance UNC loses its accreditation. If the NCAA wanted to go nuclear they would just give UNC the SMU death penalty. My guess is the worst case for UNC is an NCAA tourney ban and scholarship losses.
05-02-2016 10:14 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-02-2016 10:03 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Kept waiting for them to say UNC is guilty, time to put NC STATE on probation to make sure Chapel Hill learns their lesson. I am so disgusted that UNC really will get away with this.

It wouldn't be NC State, more like ECU,Charlotte,App, etc. State has some clout. I can see UNC Cheat trying to make it a "system" issue to cover up it's own shenanigans though.
05-02-2016 10:39 AM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(05-02-2016 10:14 AM)bluesox Wrote:  zero chance UNC loses its accreditation. If the NCAA wanted to go nuclear they would just give UNC the SMU death penalty. My guess is the worst case for UNC is an NCAA tourney ban and scholarship losses.

Comparatively speaking, I would say worse than USC's punishment, so postseason bans and scholarship losses for 4-6 years.
05-02-2016 11:58 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
UNC could self-impose their own punishment. Not doing so is especially douche-y. They really think stern words should be enough down there?
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 12:11 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
05-02-2016 12:10 PM
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
(05-02-2016 11:58 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 10:14 AM)bluesox Wrote:  zero chance UNC loses its accreditation. If the NCAA wanted to go nuclear they would just give UNC the SMU death penalty. My guess is the worst case for UNC is an NCAA tourney ban and scholarship losses.

Comparatively speaking, I would say worse than USC's punishment, so postseason bans and scholarship losses for 4-6 years.

No, that's what is justified. Unfortunately, they are successfully going to pin the brunt of the scandal on WBB, despite mountains of hard evidence to the contrary. I'd expect a sternly worded reprimand to MBB and Football, and a fine of $3.50. Meanwhile WBB will be cratered to atone for all sins.
05-02-2016 02:56 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-02-2016 10:14 AM)bluesox Wrote:  zero chance UNC loses its accreditation.
This is the bottom line on the link-bait subject thread ... accreditation is not a "one strike and you're out" sport. While reprehensible, and certainly deserving of massive NCAA penalties, a more honest heading would be "UNC's academic scandal leaves professors, university in peril of being in peril if there is another scandal this bad or worse."
05-03-2016 07:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.