Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trouble in ODuh land
Bookmark and Share
Oldduke Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes!
Trouble in ODuh land
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...db1b7.html

Old Dominion anticipates a $600,000 to $700,000 yearly decline in revenue from Conference USA’s new TV contracts – down from the $1 million per school that league teams currently receive.

A decline in TV revenue for 2016-2017 has been expected since January, but at the time, it was thought fees would decrease by about $500,000 per school.

ODU’s estimate indicates that C-USA’s yearly TV revenue would be about $6 million – a sharp drop from the $14 million in contracts the league signed with Fox Sports and CBS Sports Network in 2011.

ODU athletic director Wood Selig called the decline “a huge hit,” adding, “we’ve got to work to get the value of Conference USA back up.”
04-29-2016 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Trouble in ODuh land
For reference, how much does JMU get from the CAA and its TV deals? I was looking online, but couldn't find anything.
04-29-2016 08:20 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
(04-29-2016 08:11 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...db1b7.html

Old Dominion anticipates a $600,000 to $700,000 yearly decline in revenue from Conference USA’s new TV contracts – down from the $1 million per school that league teams currently receive.

A decline in TV revenue for 2016-2017 has been expected since January, but at the time, it was thought fees would decrease by about $500,000 per school.

ODU’s estimate indicates that C-USA’s yearly TV revenue would be about $6 million – a sharp drop from the $14 million in contracts the league signed with Fox Sports and CBS Sports Network in 2011.

ODU athletic director Wood Selig called the decline “a huge hit,” adding, “we’ve got to work to get the value of Conference USA back up.”

Unless CUSA can find other sustainable revenue streams they will have to cut expenses. Travel cost will be the first large expense to be evaluated. I anticipate if the conference cannot make up the lost revenue School ADs will feel the pressure to shrink the conference footprint. Down the road CUSA may desolove into two regional conferences.
04-29-2016 08:59 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-29-2016 08:59 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  
(04-29-2016 08:11 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...db1b7.html

Unless CUSA can find other sustainable revenue streams they will have to cut expenses. Travel cost will be the first large expense to be evaluated. I anticipate if the conference cannot make up the lost revenue School ADs will feel the pressure to shrink the conference footprint. Down the road CUSA may desolove into two regional conferences.

If worse comes to worse, one bodybag game at an SEC school will more than cover that.
04-29-2016 09:08 AM
jmufbs Offline
Special Teams

This does make you think that Selig and other CUSA AD's have to be shaking in their boots a little bit - kind of the perfect storm between mandated reduction in reliance on student fees and huge hits to top line revenue - would think that Selig should be back to his ways of pushing CUSA to look at bringing in more regional rivals ( JMU) for travel and expense reductions for non-revenue sports as well. At least that's logical but in no ways has conference membership been determined based on logic.
04-29-2016 10:08 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

Forced reduction in student fees coupled with significant less TV revenue has to be a big hit to ODU. Add to the fact the conference USA only got one win at at the men's NCAA bb tournament and all of a sudden the income statement for ODU athletics department looks less promising.

When the football team has to add an additional payday game to its scheduling it becomes difficult for the team on different levels. Usually, CUSA teams participate in one money game a season but if ODU has to add a second then that's one less home game against a quality opponent like App State or Va Tech. Selig already has to ensure one home cupcake game a year.
04-29-2016 10:40 AM
Advertisement

JMUDuke25 Online
All American

I pretty much said this two years ago. These conferences spread out over half the country with small TV contracts will never survive. There isn't unlimited TV money and the G5 contracts aren't getting any bigger at best. The best thing for all these schools is to be regional and make money by saving on travel costs and selling tickets because of the rivalries.
04-29-2016 11:19 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Trouble in ODuh land
I hate to say it and I'm sure as hell not giving Alger credit, but maybe we are going to look smart in hindsight for waiting for the dust to settle.
I see all of these low end fbs or new fbs schools that have clearly bitten off more than they can chew and they're beginning to wonder if fbs football outside of the P5 is feasible for some.
The media and tv viewers don't seem to care about G5 football.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2016 11:28 AM by Potomac.)
04-29-2016 11:27 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Trouble in ODuh land
Georgia State is the only program that has bitten off more than they can chew IMO. ODU, App State, Georgia Southern, Charlotte have all made the proper decision to play FBS football. It is easy to argue that those are 4 schools who JMU should be aligned with in athletics.

You can choose to play cost containment football in the FCS, but it is also revenue containment.
Not to mention the cowering away from good competition and hanging out with bad company in an FCS that weakens every time another school moves up.

ODU has multiple ACC schools visiting Foreman field. They are living the dream.
04-29-2016 01:25 PM
Purple agitator Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MadJames
(04-29-2016 01:25 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Georgia State is the only program that has bitten off more than they can chew IMO. ODU, App State, Georgia Southern, Charlotte have all made the proper decision to play FBS football. It is easy to argue that those are 4 schools who JMU should be aligned with in athletics.

You can choose to play cost containment football in the FCS, but it is also revenue containment.
Not to mention the cowering away from good competition and hanging out with bad company in an FCS that weakens every time another school moves up.

This. The purple lens crowd is cowering for something to justify their propensity to settle.
04-29-2016 04:18 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Trouble in ODuh land
So living the dream means buying a really nice house only to realize you can't afford it?
04-29-2016 04:37 PM
Advertisement

JMUETC Offline
1st String

(04-29-2016 04:37 PM)Potomac Wrote:  So living the dream means buying a really nice house only to realize you can't afford it?

Seems to me they can afford it but it might not be appreciating in value as fast as they anticipated. Still a nice place to live and raise a family though.
04-29-2016 04:50 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Trouble in ODuh land
(04-29-2016 04:50 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  
(04-29-2016 04:37 PM)Potomac Wrote:  So living the dream means buying a really nice house only to realize you can't afford it?

Seems to me they can afford it but it might not be appreciating in value as fast as they anticipated. Still a nice place to live and raise a family though.

You mean the home's value just plummeted to 40% of what it was once worth.
04-29-2016 04:53 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

LESS money is different than NOT ENOUGH money. ODU wouldn't trade places with us, that much is certain.

I love how we try to back into feeling good about where we are.
04-29-2016 04:55 PM
JMUDuke25 Online
All American

No one is trying to justify anything or make anyone feel good (You seen the bipolar that posts here?). I'm just saying these large spread out conferences aren't going to last very long because of the travel costs. Especially for the Olympic sports.
04-29-2016 05:33 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(04-29-2016 04:53 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(04-29-2016 04:50 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  

You mean the home's value just plummeted to 40% of what it was once worth.

Well if they plan to live there a long time the value today is irrelevant. See everyone who bought a home 10 years ago and is still living in it.

Its now incumbent on them (as the ODU AD states) to restore the value to the conference and off set the loss of revenue in other ways
04-29-2016 05:42 PM
Advertisement

JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

As a school in the Commonwealth, I hope and want it to work out for ODU. I believe their institution made the correct choice, but declining revenue will be difficult. However, so would have been staying in FCS and trying to to build the case for expanding their football stadium and living off the CAA revenue stream.

Long term - 15 years or so, they will be fine. They will be in a more regional conference ore they will be in a higher profile conference.

The NCAA created this mess. To fix it:
1) Allow new conferences to charter and play at the FBS level.
2) Expand the playoffs to 12 teams
3) Guaranty the P5 champions 1 to 5 seeds
4) Guaranty the highest 4 rated other champions 9 to 12 seeds
5) Pick the next 3 highest ranked teams (odds are P5) as the 6 to 8 seeds
6) Give a bye to the top 4 seeds and bracket the other 8 to play them
7) Give a total revenue share to each conference participating, plus a matching share to each P5 school participating
8) Limit the bowls to 15 games and make them bid for rights to have the game, with revenue going to the conferences

The aim would be to allow the non-p5 schools to organize/create conference alignments that make sense - by regions or market if this is the model. Get at least 1 P5 school into the playoff and have slots for 3 more. Make the revenue distribution helpful for the other conferences, but slant it heavily to give more to the power conferences. Limits to bowl games helps eliminate some saturation and bidding rights makes the best situations survive.

Get to this and compelling conferences like the old Big East can form along good business models among similar institutions.
04-29-2016 07:11 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2016 05:42 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  Its now incumbent on them (as the ODU AD states) to restore the value to the conference and off set the loss of revenue in other ways

and they're kidding themselves if they think they'll offset a 57% drop in TV revenue. there's only so much you can restore at that point. High bills and dropping revenue.
I'm pro-fbs but I'm not naive enough to realize there's serious financial concerns for many G5 schools.
04-29-2016 07:40 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(04-29-2016 07:40 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(04-29-2016 05:42 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  Its now incumbent on them (as the ODU AD states) to restore the value to the conference and off set the loss of revenue in other ways

and they're kidding themselves if they think they'll offset a 57% drop in TV revenue. there's only so much you can restore at that point. High bills and dropping revenue.
I'm pro-fbs but I'm not naive enough to realize there's serious financial concerns for many G5 schools.

According to the headline they need to make up $600K. They can do that with increased donations (possibly) and a payday game (probably).

There are financial concerns for P5, but this is similar to buying a house. If you like your apartment and are comfortable in it continue to live there and rent (JMU/FCS). If you aspire to own a bigger house (ODU/FBS) and assume you will live there for a long time, you buy a house because you think it will appreciate over time.

The key will be ODU's next move. They could absorb a $600K loss for a few years, get a new stadium built and make that money up in the next several years and move up a conference or 2. I am sure that's in their plan. Even if it doesn't materialize they won't regret moving up.
04-29-2016 08:11 PM
atljmualum Offline
All American

Trouble in ODuh land
(04-29-2016 01:25 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Georgia State is the only program that has bitten off more than they can chew IMO. ODU, App State, Georgia Southern, Charlotte have all made the proper decision to play FBS football. It is easy to argue that those are 4 schools who JMU should be aligned with in athletics.

Spot on! Alger and JMU did not have foresight that allowed them to make the right decision here. They still have. $40M budget (higher than most, if not all, of the CUSA teams as well as our reliance on student fees) to play in the CAA. To me, that is a much worse ROI.
04-29-2016 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.