ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA and ESPN Negotiating?
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
CUSA and ESPN Negotiating?
So I go to the conference board to find out HM has posted an article or tweet, not sure which, saying ESPN is talking to CUSA about mid week games.
Wonder why the ODU board is slow to post this? Because the satellite ban thread is so timely?
At any rate, there may be interesting news coming about TV
04-28-2016 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: CUSA and ESPN Negotiating?
Well that would certainly eliminate any need to increase stadium capacity.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
04-28-2016 04:17 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

04-28-2016 04:52 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

also, it says Thurs and Fri night games. I don't consider that "Mid-week." ACC plays Thurs night games too.
04-28-2016 04:53 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to wonder if we can afford this conference, if our revenues are dropping $1million a year between TV and fees. How do we make that up. Big blue donations certainly won't do it. You'd need 2000 NEW $500 donors to give annually. Not going to happen. The G5 should go on strike against playing the P5 bodybag games until we get $3million per game. Thats a drop in the bucket to those teams and they've basically priced us out and taken all the revenue for themselves anyway.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2016 05:13 PM by monarx.)
04-28-2016 05:12 PM
Friar Tuck 4400 Offline
2nd String

(04-28-2016 04:17 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Well that would certainly eliminate any need to increase stadium capacity.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

[Image: dog_with_bone.jpg]
04-28-2016 08:40 PM
Advertisement

Obiwan Offline
1st String

So what marquee match ups would we reschedule to be on a TV game if applicable?
04-28-2016 09:57 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

Re: RE: CUSA and ESPN Negotiating?
(04-28-2016 05:12 PM)monarx Wrote:  I'm starting to wonder if we can afford this conference, if our revenues are dropping $1million a year between TV and fees. How do we make that up. Big blue donations certainly won't do it. You'd need 2000 NEW $500 donors to give annually. Not going to happen. The G5 should go on strike against playing the P5 bodybag games until we get $3million per game. Thats a drop in the bucket to those teams and they've basically priced us out and taken all the revenue for themselves anyway.

ODAF makes their money from the really big donors, not the ones who give the bare minimum.
04-29-2016 02:23 AM
bit_9 Offline

1000 ppl x 100 is probably easier and more sustainable than one person donating 100k a year.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
04-29-2016 06:38 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

Selig also said he doesn't want to play Thursday night since so many students are in class.
04-29-2016 06:48 AM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
A Thursday or Friday night home game won't be more than once a season. It is a small impact giveaway for a big return on revenue and exposure. If the TV contract is really going to be reduce as far as expected, need to find some flexibility.
04-29-2016 06:53 AM
Advertisement

ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(04-28-2016 09:57 PM)Obiwan Wrote:  So what marquee match ups would we reschedule to be on a TV game if applicable?

This year? Maybe Marshall or Southern Miss. In the future our games with any of the ACC teams. I would much rather have that on a Thursday or Friday night than an afternoon start on a Saturday.
04-29-2016 07:04 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

Unless ODU changes it's stance we won't be playing any Thursday games at home. There would be too much of a constraint on campus due to late ending classes.

Personally, I have nothing against Thur. or Fri. night games, however I do understand that there are many fans who travel from out of town, or must get up for work very early on Fri. morning.
04-29-2016 07:21 AM
blewbyu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
The truth is CUSA has not turned out to be what we thought it would be.When we joined it was a lot better than it is now.With the loss of several good schools and them being replaced with several not so good schools CUSA is now a very weak conference. We should try to form a new league with schools closer together. It is time for ODU to start a movement to take the best east coast teams such as ODU.ECU.Navy,Richmond,JMU,W&M,Charlotte, Marshall,MTS,Delaware etc.and form a new and better league. It would be a much better product and cut our travel cost by millions.
04-29-2016 07:38 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Put the pipe down (or gas mask/bong, as the case may be)
04-29-2016 08:15 AM
BigBlue23 Offline
2nd String

(04-29-2016 07:38 AM)blewbyu Wrote:  The truth is CUSA has not turned out to be what we thought it would be.When we joined it was a lot better than it is now.With the loss of several good schools and them being replaced with several not so good schools CUSA is now a very weak conference. We should try to form a new league with schools closer together. It is time for ODU to start a movement to take the best east coast teams such as ODU.ECU.Navy,Richmond,JMU,W&M,Charlotte, Marshall,MTS,Delaware etc.and form a new and better league. It would be a much better product and cut our travel cost by millions.

I get where you are trying to go with this, but there is NO CHANCE of this happening.

First, you would be asking JMU, W & M, Delaware and any other FCS schools to make the jump to FBS.

Next, none of those school pull any weight (except for Navy) when it comes to TV attraction. We don't and nor would any of the others listed. It would essentially be the new CAA which means Comcast Mid Atlantic would like the conference, but nothing on a national scale. It would be in line with CUSA or the Sun Belt. Why jump through hoops for much of the same?

Could it cut travel costs? I will give you that, but not by much. Football and basketball will still fly everywhere. Hotels are still hotels for all sports. Might allow for some bus travel versus flights for the olympic sports, but on such a large budget, you are talking inconsequential numbers.

The hopes are to either strengthen CUSA or somehow get an invite to AAC.

ESPN is a good thing for the conference. More exposure period.
04-29-2016 08:21 AM
Advertisement

paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(04-29-2016 08:21 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  
(04-29-2016 07:38 AM)blewbyu Wrote:  The truth is CUSA has not turned out to be what we thought it would be.When we joined it was a lot better than it is now.With the loss of several good schools and them being replaced with several not so good schools CUSA is now a very weak conference. We should try to form a new league with schools closer together. It is time for ODU to start a movement to take the best east coast teams such as ODU.ECU.Navy,Richmond,JMU,W&M,Charlotte, Marshall,MTS,Delaware etc.and form a new and better league. It would be a much better product and cut our travel cost by millions.

I get where you are trying to go with this, but there is NO CHANCE of this happening.

First, you would be asking JMU, W & M, Delaware and any other FCS schools to make the jump to FBS.

Next, none of those school pull any weight (except for Navy) when it comes to TV attraction. We don't and nor would any of the others listed. It would essentially be the new CAA which means Comcast Mid Atlantic would like the conference, but nothing on a national scale. It would be in line with CUSA or the Sun Belt. Why jump through hoops for much of the same?

Could it cut travel costs? I will give you that, but not by much. Football and basketball will still fly everywhere. Hotels are still hotels for all sports. Might allow for some bus travel versus flights for the olympic sports, but on such a large budget, you are talking inconsequential numbers.

I agree with this. I will add that when ODU announced their move to CUSA in May 2012 this is what the conference looked like...

ECU, UTEP, Tulsa, Marshall, UAB, Rice, So. Miss., and Tulane were existing members...

Charlotte, UTSA, UNT, FIU, LT, we're teams which had already announced their moves to CUSA.

Since ODU signed on CUSA lost ECU (definitely a blow to us as we lost a good football program that was a travel partner), Tulane, and Tulsa, and we gained MT, WKU, and FAU. While ECU hasn't been replaced as far as football, WKU is up an up and coming program which was ranked as high as #24 last season, and WKU and MT basketball more than make up for the loss of Tulsa's bball program.

I think the major differences we are now seeing are mostly financial. Lowered conference payouts are something that Selig probably knew were on the way as the departure fees from the school's which left had a set end date. Lower payouts from TV contracts were probably less predictable, and are not necessarily permanent.

ODU just has to keep improving it's performance and facilities in order to make itself as attractive to the AAC as it can should the day come that they are looking for a new program or two.
04-29-2016 09:29 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2016 09:29 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(04-29-2016 08:21 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  

I agree with this. I will add that when ODU announced their move to CUSA in May 2012 this is what the conference looked like...

ECU, UTEP, Tulsa, Marshall, UAB, Rice, So. Miss., and Tulane were existing members...

Charlotte, UTSA, UNT, FIU, LT, we're teams which had already announced their moves to CUSA.

Since ODU signed on CUSA lost ECU (definitely a blow to us as we lost a good football program that was a travel partner), Tulane, and Tulsa, and we gained MT, WKU, and FAU. While ECU hasn't been replaced as far as football, WKU is up an up and coming program which was ranked as high as #24 last season, and WKU and MT basketball more than make up for the loss of Tulsa's bball program.

I think the major differences we are now seeing are mostly financial. Lowered conference payouts are something that Selig probably knew were on the way as the departure fees from the school's which left had a set end date. Lower payouts from TV contracts were probably less predictable, and are not necessarily permanent.

ODU just has to keep improving it's performance and facilities in order to make itself as attractive to the AAC as it can should the day come that they are looking for a new program or two.

I see your point, but in spite of us losing to MTSU all the time, their program doesn't come close to replacing Tulsa.
04-29-2016 09:34 AM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(04-29-2016 09:34 AM)monarx Wrote:  I see your point, but in spite of us losing to MTSU all the time, their program doesn't come close to replacing Tulsa.

You're probably right, but WKU's arguably does.
04-29-2016 10:01 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

You forgot SMU. They sucked at the time and still aren't very good at football, but now they have a top 15 calibur basketball program.
04-29-2016 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.