Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone aware of bids on next season's basketball tournament?
Bookmark and Share
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Anyone aware of bids on next season's basketball tournament?
Usually we know by this time of some of the bids that schools and cities have made to get the C-USA basketball tournament for the following year. Awfully well kept secrets if bids have been made.

Will it be Birmingham for a 3rd straight year? Maybe back to El Paso? How about Norfolk? Biloxi, Shreveport... somewhere.
04-28-2016 08:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Anyone aware of bids on next season's basketball tournament?
(04-28-2016 08:34 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Usually we know by this time of some of the bids that schools and cities have made to get the C-USA basketball tournament for the following year. Awfully well kept secrets if bids have been made.

Will it be Birmingham for a 3rd straight year? Maybe back to El Paso? How about Norfolk? Biloxi, Shreveport... somewhere.

I'm guessing that all of the cities you mentioned will bid on it.

I bet Birmingham and El Paso are the most likely landing spots.

USM will probably still suck next year, so attendance would probably be pretty poor in Biloxi. I think that'd be a cool location in the future, but I'd rather it coincide with USM having a solid team.

Personally, I'd like to see it go to Birmingham or Norfolk, but I'm clearly biased since I'm in the east.
04-28-2016 08:58 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

Wasn't there a rumor they were considering Myrtle Beach?
04-28-2016 09:57 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
I heard they were going retro, and that it would be in Memphis.
04-28-2016 10:21 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
Rumor at UAB is we won't be bidding on it anymore as long as the host isn't assured of playing in the evenings. So cross Birmingham off the list until that's changed.
04-28-2016 12:32 PM
Herdmeister Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
(04-28-2016 12:32 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Rumor at UAB is we won't be bidding on it anymore as long as the host isn't assured of playing in the evenings. So cross Birmingham off the list until that's changed.

Finish 2nd in the regular season and you are guaranteed to play in the evening's first game.. Problem solved
04-28-2016 12:34 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2016 12:34 PM)Herdmeister Wrote:  
(04-28-2016 12:32 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Rumor at UAB is we won't be bidding on it anymore as long as the host isn't assured of playing in the evenings. So cross Birmingham off the list until that's changed.

Finish 2nd in the regular season and you are guaranteed to play in the evening's first game.. Problem solved
This. Host already has an advantage. No need to make it even greater.
04-28-2016 12:43 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

If host is not guaranteed a prime time slot, might as well have it at a neutral sight.
04-28-2016 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MIDDLEFAN Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
I understand the reasoning for wanting the host to have a guaranteed evening spot for ticket sales. I don't think that should be a consideration however. Let the host play where they are seeded in my opinion.
04-28-2016 12:49 PM
LRdawg Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Neutral site! I wish it was in Dallas. Fans can easily fly to Love Field or DFW. You got plenty of shopping, lodging, restaurants, and entertainment. I imagine a good amount of alumns from each CUSA school live in the area.

Split the Men's and Women's to the below arenas.

Allen Event Center
Allen, TX

Dr Pepper Arena
Frisco, TX
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2016 12:55 PM by LRdawg.)
04-28-2016 12:55 PM
Herdmeister Offline
1st String

(04-28-2016 12:45 PM)ICB Wrote:  If host is not guaranteed a prime time slot, might as well have it at a neutral sight.

How many more would have been at the UAB quarter final had the game been at night? Maybe 2-3 thousand? Even 4,000 wouldn't have made a big difference financially.
Look at the average UAB home attendance. Do you think you would have that many at a quarter final game paying an inflated price PLUS the students would have to pay, not free like regular season.
04-28-2016 12:58 PM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
I wish they could stagger the women's and men's games better, and hopefully not have the teams (from the same university) play at the same time.
04-28-2016 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Herdmeister Offline
1st String

(04-28-2016 01:14 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  I wish they could stagger the women's and men's games better, and hopefully not have the teams (from the same university) play at the same time.

That was a great part of El Paso hosting. You could literally walk across the side walk and see the women play if you were attending the men's game.
04-28-2016 01:19 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
I also don't want to see our city host if we don't get selection of start time. For years and years the host team would select their time slot and no one had a problem with it or complained. Ever since CUSA3.0 was formed we got a bunch of whiners. Until your school has hosted a conference tournament you don't know what a big disadvantage having a noon start time is.

Let it be at some neutral site or some school who averages 3k per game.
04-28-2016 01:23 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(04-28-2016 01:23 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  I also don't want to see our city host if we don't get selection of start time. For years and years the host team would select their time slot and no one had a problem with it or complained. Ever since CUSA3.0 was formed we got a bunch of whiners. Until your school has hosted a conference tournament you don't know what a big disadvantage having a noon start time is.

I agree with you and the UAB folks. It's not difficult to swap bracket play times so that a crowd can gather to watch and the conference can make a buck or two.
04-28-2016 01:32 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2016 12:58 PM)Herdmeister Wrote:  
(04-28-2016 12:45 PM)ICB Wrote:  If host is not guaranteed a prime time slot, might as well have it at a neutral sight.

How many more would have been at the UAB quarter final had the game been at night? Maybe 2-3 thousand? Even 4,000 wouldn't have made a big difference financially.
Look at the average UAB home attendance. Do you think you would have that many at a quarter final game paying an inflated price PLUS the students would have to pay, not free like regular season.

Don't just look at the average...we had an awful home schedule. Look at the last 6+ games when we playing some of the better teams in the conference. This is not just a UAB debate... The reason we have school hosted tournaments is for attendance. So if you are going to disregard attendance, then play it at a neutral site.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2016 01:36 PM by ICB.)
04-28-2016 01:35 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Compromise on tourney times would be to let the host school select an evening time in their first game only.Following games would be however the bracket shakes out.This suggestion holds true even if host school gets a bye.
04-28-2016 01:41 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(04-28-2016 01:32 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(04-28-2016 01:23 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  I also don't want to see our city host if we don't get selection of start time. For years and years the host team would select their time slot and no one had a problem with it or complained. Ever since CUSA3.0 was formed we got a bunch of whiners. Until your school has hosted a conference tournament you don't know what a big disadvantage having a noon start time is.

I agree with you and the UAB folks. It's not difficult to swap bracket play times so that a crowd can gather to watch and the conference can make a buck or two.

The city and the university have to at least break even from the event. It's called a bid because serious cash is involved in being awarded the tournament. The school should have a competitive team who can make a championship run. They should also get their desired time slot. We need to sell tickets and have a big crowd. Everyone wins in this situation. It looks better on TV, the city is happy they didn't lose money, and the teams get to play in front of an actual audience.
04-28-2016 01:47 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-28-2016 01:35 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(04-28-2016 12:58 PM)Herdmeister Wrote:  

Don't just look at the average...we had an awful home schedule. Look at the last 6+ games when we playing some of the better teams in the conference. This is not just a UAB debate... The reason we have school hosted tournaments is for attendance. So if you are going to disregard attendance, then play it at a neutral site.

Agreed. USM is almost always in play to host the baseball tournament each year as we are usually in Top 3 for CUSA attendance and Top 25 nationally. I'm sure the ante has risen but I remember Coach Palmer stating back in the late 2000's it was $35k minimum bid to host. With our attendance numbers and central location he knew we would cover that and then some with attendance, parking and sponsorships.

But back to basketball.....I feel like the "host" team should get priority as that is the main reason their school or town bid on hosting it
04-28-2016 02:00 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion

Didn't UAB push to make the 1st seed go have the longest time in-between games? So by virtue of how time works they go first? Make up your minds!!!!
04-28-2016 02:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.