Idaho expected to drop from FBS to FCS tomorrow
04-27-2016 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Idaho expected to drop from FBS to FCS tomorrow
How they have been FBS for 20 years is beyond me. They play in a 16,000 seat indoor practice facility and are simply horrible.

EMU, you're next.
04-27-2016 05:54 PM
magoo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TOLEDO
(04-27-2016 05:54 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  How they have been FBS for 20 years is beyond me. They play in a 16,000 seat indoor practice facility and are simply horrible.

EMU, you're next.

Like I said.... see EMU.
Ball ST. Kent, and Akron are next
04-28-2016 08:57 AM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
Went back a ways for this thread, but Idaho's decision to go FCS is changing things. Wyoming has dropped Idaho from its 2018 schedule. Originally it was a home-and-home, but not anymore. Looks like the 2019 game at Wyoming will be played.

According to the article (the link is below) Idaho is scheduled to play at Northern Illinois in 2018.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/08/wyomi...-schedule/
08-04-2016 11:41 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
Eastern Michigan is in an entirely different situation than Idaho found itself in because unlike Idaho, EMU actually has choices so if they do drop football or drop down to FCS it will be because they chose to do so for financial reasons, not like Idaho that had no realistic alternate and had to do so. Frankly, I doubt if the loss of TV money and prestige can be adequately offset any savings gained by dropping down, so I expect it is very likely that EMU is going to remain in the MAC for a long time unless the MAC kicks them out (which I don'T think is likely either----but of course, you never know.

Idaho football was doomed from the time of the collapse of the WAC several years ago. The Sun Belt suffered a major loss of members to C-USA about the same time as the WAC collapsed so the Sun Belt in an act of desperation to save themselves threw Idaho and NM State a temporary lifeline for their FBS football programs. Of course the Sun Belt was much better positioned to pick up a few new members than Idaho was to find a new conference. As soon as the Sun Belt was able to build up its football membership to a "safe" level that would allow the conference to withstand further defections and still continue to sponsor FBS football, the Sun Belt immediately dumped Idaho and NM St in order contract their footprint to something resembling a more reasonably compact travel friendly geography.

The only possible conference that made any sense for Idaho was the Mountain West and (as people often seem to forget) no matter how badly a school may want or may need to join a new conference, unless the conference extends an invitation, membership is not going to happen.... and the MWC has Boise and wanted no part of Idaho.

Thus Idaho had two choices: take football independent or drop back to FCS and get back in the Big Sky which made the most sense for them.

Besides, unlike many MAC fans, I see no real need to get rid of EMU. Sure their 6,000 football attendance looks poor compared to UT's 20,000 but then compare UT to East Carolina's 40,000 a game and that doesn't look so great either. And then, East Carolina is a far cry from tOSU or Michigan or Tennessee or Penn State, etc where 100,000 a game is expected. It is all relative.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016 09:53 PM by T-Town.)
08-04-2016 02:31 PM
Advertisement

IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

T-town's comments are spot-on IMO
08-04-2016 02:34 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2016 02:31 PM)T-Town Wrote:  I can't understand the great enthusiasm among so many MAC fans to get rid of EMU. Sure their 6,000 attendance looks poor compared to UT 20,000 but then compare UT to East Carolina's 40,000 a game and that doesn't look so great either. After all, East Carolina is a far cry from tOSU or Michigan or Tennessee or Penn State, etc where 100,000 a game is expected. It is all relative.

I love the fact I can drive just 45 minutes up north to watch my Rockets play in Ypsi. I do it every time but that gameday atmosphere is nothing but depressing, except of course the W the Rockets bring home every time. Rocket Nation outnumbers the EMU crowd every time. It's not the type of experience any college football fan would want to take in at a Division 1 FBS game.
08-04-2016 02:39 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(08-04-2016 02:39 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 02:31 PM)T-Town Wrote:  I can't understand the great enthusiasm among so many MAC fans to get rid of EMU. Sure their 6,000 attendance looks poor compared to UT 20,000 but then compare UT to East Carolina's 40,000 a game and that doesn't look so great either. After all, East Carolina is a far cry from tOSU or Michigan or Tennessee or Penn State, etc where 100,000 a game is expected. It is all relative.

I love the fact I can drive just 45 minutes up north to watch my Rockets play in Ypsi. I do it every time but that gameday atmosphere is nothing but depressing, except of course the W the Rockets bring home every time. Rocket Nation outnumbers the EMU crowd every time. It's not the type of experience any college football fan would want to take in at a Division 1 FBS game.

Hey, last time I went they had a bouncy castle.
08-04-2016 02:48 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(08-04-2016 02:31 PM)T-Town Wrote:  Eastern Michigan is in an entirely different situation than Idaho found itself in because unlike Idaho, EMU actually has choices so if they do drop football or drop down to FCS it will be because they chose to do so for financial reasons, not like Idaho that had no realistic alternate and had to do so. Frankly, I doubt if the loss of TV money and prestige can be adequately offset any savings gained by dropping down, so I expect it is very likely that EMU is going to remain in the MAC for a long time unless the MAC kicks them out (which I don'T think is likely either----but of course, you never know.

Idaho football was doomed from the time of the collapse of the WAC several years ago. The Sun Belt suffered a major loss of members to C-USA about the same time as the WAC collapsed so the Sun Belt in an act of desperation to save themselves threw Idaho and NM State a temporary lifeline for their FBS football programs. Of course the Sun Belt was much better positioned to pick up a few new members than Idaho was to find a new conference. As soon as the Sun Belt was able to build up its football membership to a "safe" level that would allow the conference to withstand further defections and still continue to sponsor FBS football, the Sun Belt immediately dumped Idaho and NM St in order contract their footprint to something resembling a more reasonably compact travel friendly geography.

The only possible conference that made any sense for Idaho was the Mountain West and (as people often seem to forget) no matter how badly a school may want or may need to join a new conference, unless the conference extends an invitation, membership is not going to happen.... and the MWC has Boise and wanted no part of Idaho.

Thus Idaho had two choices: take football independent or drop back to FCS and get back in the Big Sky which made the most sense for them.

Besides, unlike many MAC fans, I see not real need to get rid of EMU. Sure their 6,000 football attendance looks poor compared to UT's 20,000 but then compare UT to East Carolina's 40,000 a game and that doesn't look so great either. After all, East Carolina is a far cry from tOSU or Michigan or Tennessee or Penn State, etc where 100,000 a game is expected. It is all relative.

What can I do to get Toledo kicked out of the MAC??????? 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
08-04-2016 03:45 PM
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

Seriously what does EMU bring to the table besides crappy attendance and a bouncy castle?
08-04-2016 04:00 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

We don't have a bouncy castle.

I really find value in municipal universities and would hate to see EMU give up without a real fight. I've been up there a few times. It's close to a vibrant downtown, has it's own little mini-off-campus, a great stretch of unique service, food and goods stores along Washtenaw, which is starting to get spill-over new-starts from a way over priced Ann Arbor.

What they need to do (says the expert :) ) is to clean house in that AD's office and get some marketing people in there. As Detroit is doing so successfully, take on the role forced. Take on the "we aren't Ann Arbor" role and the anti-people will flock to you. All those Ann Arbor, UM wannabes that can't actually get or afford tickets will have a ship to jump on to and they will.

Same discussion we have here and my opinion is the same. People aren't looking for someone to do their winning for them. They're looking to be part of something; events, traditions, something to tell the kids about and get their kids into. Possibly EMU is about to take this approach, I've noticed EMU light-pole banners proudly waving along Washtenaw Ave. Would LOVE to see the same thing on the major approaches to UT, Secor Highway to Central, Dorr, Douglas and Westwood. Something "renaissance festivally" with UT's shield. Inexpensive, dramatic and inclusive. Heck, I'd find a way to play the UT fight song and alma mater on the hour along Secor. The entire stretch from highway to Central, Noon O'clock Boom. Fight song played from the light poles. Time to claim back the home territory from the Bucknuts and Weasels.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016 04:19 PM by eastisbest.)
08-04-2016 04:18 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-04-2016 04:00 PM)utpotts Wrote:  Seriously what does EMU bring to the table besides crappy attendance and a bouncy castle?

Not much in football, I am afraid and they are not all that in basketball either, however, the EMU men have been to the NCAA tournament 4 times since the UT men was last there and the EMU women have been to the NCAA tournament twice since the UT women were last there.
08-04-2016 10:56 PM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(08-04-2016 02:31 PM)T-Town Wrote:  Eastern Michigan is in an entirely different situation than Idaho found itself in because unlike Idaho, EMU actually has choices so if they do drop football or drop down to FCS it will be because they chose to do so for financial reasons, not like Idaho that had no realistic alternate and had to do so. Frankly, I doubt if the loss of TV money and prestige can be adequately offset any savings gained by dropping down, so I expect it is very likely that EMU is going to remain in the MAC for a long time unless the MAC kicks them out (which I don'T think is likely either----but of course, you never know.

Besides, unlike many MAC fans, I see no real need to get rid of EMU. Sure their 6,000 football attendance looks poor compared to UT's 20,000 but then compare UT to East Carolina's 40,000 a game and that doesn't look so great either. And then, East Carolina is a far cry from tOSU or Michigan or Tennessee or Penn State, etc where 100,000 a game is expected. It is all relative.

One big factor to UT's recent attendance woes is half the home games ( and some of the biggest) have been played on week nights.
08-05-2016 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
04-bow
(08-05-2016 08:52 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  

One big factor to UT's recent attendance woes is half the home games ( and some of the biggest) have been played on week nights.

You are correct, Sir!!!!!! 04-bow
08-05-2016 11:57 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2016 10:56 PM)T-Town Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 04:00 PM)utpotts Wrote:  Seriously what does EMU bring to the table besides crappy attendance and a bouncy castle?

Not much in football, I am afraid and they are not all that in basketball either, however, the EMU men have been to the NCAA tournament 4 times since the UT men was last there and the EMU women have been to the NCAA tournament twice since the UT women were last there.

My reaction to opening the door to that mind-blowing fact:

Ahhhh
08-05-2016 07:39 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-05-2016 07:39 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 10:56 PM)T-Town Wrote:  

My reaction to opening the door to that mind-blowing fact:

Ahhhh

I agree. It is totally crazy. The UT men and women both have had very good teams during their respective droughts, some of which were even preseason media favorites to win it all and they have even won regular season championships, HOWEVER, when it comes to the MAC tournament where all the marbles are up grabs, some how they always manage to come up short. It is frustrating---- with as many strong teams as they have fielded over the years the law of averages says they should have come away with at least a few championships between them.
08-05-2016 11:49 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-04-2016 02:48 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 02:39 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

Hey, last time I went they had a bouncy castle.

OK, that is there indoor practice facility. Come on now...
03-wink
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 10:15 AM by Toledo Football 1st.)
08-06-2016 12:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.