Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN a sinking ship?
Bookmark and Share
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
ESPN a sinking ship?
Saw yesterday where Skip Bayless (to Fox) and Mike Tirico (to NBC) are leaving ESPN. Bayless - who cares. Tirico is a loss. It does seem that either on their own or with a bit of urging from corporate headquarters, ESPN is losing quite a bit of their significant on-air talent.
04-27-2016 07:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: ESPN a sinking ship?
Good riddance, they've become the TMZ of sports,
04-27-2016 07:45 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
I imagine with some of these outrageous contracts ESPN is signing along with people "cutting the cord" ESPN has less dollars to spend and this is probably part of it.
04-27-2016 08:24 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Cowherd is gone too, isn't he?

And yes, I think that we are going to hit a cap. ESPN is losing dollars hand over fist and Disney is not messing around. The money is going to dry up because people are refusing to pay the ridiculous rates and are changing the channel. I think we are going to see a renaissance of college football.
04-27-2016 08:47 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I think talking heads are a dime a dozen. There are plenty of talk radio hosts that can do what those guys do. So, if ESPN wants to cut costs---that's a great place to start. But since ESPN's real dominance is based, not on its talking heads, but on its massive catalogue of live sports rights, its not going to be easy to maintain those rights packages and cut costs in that area (as we are already seeing with the Big-10 rights). Sources are saying ESPN's bid wasn't even competitive. Did that hold down the cost of the Big10 rights? Nope. The reason is that ESPN is still hugely profitibale---much more profitable than the other sports networks. Thus, the other sports networks know they can become much more profitable if they have some of the rights packages that draw in the viewers. Disney's pig headed requirement that ESPN cut costs and hit certain levels of profitability will actually undermine ESPN's ability to continue to be the most profitable sports network. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 10:44 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-27-2016 10:40 AM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
ESPN is smart to let everyone walk.

ESPN made most of the "talent" that's exited. I don't blame them for taking more money but they are trading cash for relevance because the audiences are smaller. There's a line around Bristol of people hoping to take any spot that opens. Sure, ESPN isn't riding as high as a few years ago but the competition is almost non-existent. A few have tried to hawk their schtick elsewhere only to return to the world wide leader because if no one is watching they can't hear you scream.
04-27-2016 10:42 AM
Advertisement

eaglenjxn Offline
All American

Considering their top competition (Fox) will be paying Skip Bayless $5 million a year, I don't think they feel too, too bad about it.

They're both idiots but Stephen A. Smith is the reason people watch that God awful show.
04-27-2016 10:56 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(04-27-2016 10:56 AM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  Considering their top competition (Fox) will be paying Skip Bayless $5 million a year, I don't think they feel too, too bad about it.

They're both idiots but Stephen A. Smith is the reason people watch that God awful show.

Not me. I can handle any of the talking heads but I'll change it in a heartbeat the moment I see/hear him.
04-27-2016 11:01 AM
RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
ESPN is being smart letting them walk. Same reason NFL teams let running backs walk, they're a dime a dozen. No one is tuning into Monday Night Football to listen to Mike Tirico talk, they tune in to watch the game. Sure good announcers make it more pleasant but they're not the driving force. ESPN can just hire me, I'll get on TV and piss people off like Skip Bayless and I'll do it for a fraction of his contract.
04-27-2016 11:13 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(04-27-2016 11:13 AM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  ESPN is being smart letting them walk. Same reason NFL teams let running backs walk, they're a dime a dozen. No one is tuning into Monday Night Football to listen to Mike Tirico talk, they tune in to watch the game. Sure good announcers make it more pleasant but they're not the driving force. ESPN can just hire me, I'll get on TV and piss people off like Skip Bayless and I'll do it for a fraction of his contract.

This! It appears ESPN may be getting back to actual sports, rather than having so much air time for the talking heads.
04-27-2016 11:28 AM
LR Eagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
I like Tirico but Bayless is a clown of the highest order. Now if only they Stephen A and Chris Berman and we'll be talking.
04-27-2016 11:36 AM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-27-2016 10:40 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I think talking heads are a dime a dozen. There are plenty of talk radio hosts that can do what those guys do. So, if ESPN wants to cut costs---that's a great place to start. But since ESPN's real dominance is based, not on its talking heads, but on its massive catalogue of live sports rights, its not going to be easy to maintain those rights packages and cut costs in that area (as we are already seeing with the Big-10 rights). Sources are saying ESPN's bid wasn't even competitive. Did that hold down the cost of the Big10 rights? Nope. The reason is that ESPN is still hugely profitibale---much more profitable than the other sports networks. Thus, the other sports networks know they can become much more profitable if they have some of the rights packages that draw in the viewers. Disney's pig headed requirement that ESPN cut costs and hit certain levels of profitability will actually undermine ESPN's ability to continue to be the most profitable sports network. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

love this line, never heard it before!
04-27-2016 11:47 AM
UNT15 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(04-27-2016 11:01 AM)usm99 Wrote:  
(04-27-2016 10:56 AM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  Considering their top competition (Fox) will be paying Skip Bayless $5 million a year, I don't think they feel too, too bad about it.

Not me. I can handle any of the talking heads but I'll change it in a heartbeat the moment I see/hear him.

Same here. Bayless is bad, but Stephen A Smith is the worst
04-27-2016 01:25 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(04-27-2016 11:36 AM)LR Eagle Wrote:  I like Tirico but Bayless is a clown of the highest order. Now if only they Stephen A and Chris Berman and we'll be talking.

I can't stand Chris Berman and would be thrilled if he went back, back, back, back, back to somewhere else.
04-27-2016 01:32 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Smith never gets to the freckin point, loves to hear himself talk, and is so arrogant he cant see any other opinion but his own. Bayless is a sellout, who is told to take the opposite view of Smith, just so they can pretend to argue, and try to boost ratings. The only show worth watching is PTI
04-27-2016 03:13 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(04-27-2016 03:13 PM)moehler Wrote:  Smith never gets to the freckin point, loves to hear himself talk, and is so arrogant he cant see any other opinion but his own. Bayless is a sellout, who is told to take the opposite view of Smith, just so they can pretend to argue, and try to boost ratings. The only show worth watching is PTI

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner...........my thoughts exactly.
04-27-2016 03:22 PM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk Award
(04-27-2016 03:13 PM)moehler Wrote:  ....just so they can pretend to argue, and try to boost ratings.

You follow this with:

(04-27-2016 03:13 PM)moehler Wrote:  The only show worth watching is PTI

lol...wut?
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 03:58 PM by demiveeman.)
04-27-2016 03:58 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(04-27-2016 08:24 AM)usm99 Wrote:  I imagine with some of these outrageous contracts ESPN is signing along with people "cutting the cord" ESPN has less dollars to spend and this is probably part of it.

But I thought many on here said cable cutting was irrelevant and cable and ESPN held a captive audience where every household was held hostage to pay whatever cable threw at them as a necessity?

04-27-2016 04:06 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(04-27-2016 11:36 AM)LR Eagle Wrote:  I like Tirico but Bayless is a clown of the highest order. Now if only they Stephen A and Chris Berman and we'll be talking.

they are all full of it....

I can't remember the last time I watched any of that bs as it started to change....DP at espenis is my best guess....

I still watch DP and the dannettes when I can.....and would listen every morning until our AM outlet burned down last year....
04-27-2016 06:19 PM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
I can't stand Tirico and wish they'd get rid of A. Smith too.
04-28-2016 08:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.