Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Baseball
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
CUSA Baseball
Some shocking stats for hitting. 12 teams in CUSA baseball. We're dead last in runs, doubles, homers, RBI, total bases, on base pct and hit by pitch.
We're next to last in batting average, hits, triples and slugging pct. And we're 10th in stolen bases. But we're only one sacrifice short of being successful to being 2nd in sac bunts.
04-25-2016 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
RE: CUSA Baseball
(04-25-2016 06:11 PM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  Some shocking stats for hitting. 12 teams in CUSA baseball. We're dead last in runs, doubles, homers, RBI, total bases, on base pct and hit by pitch.
We're next to last in batting average, hits, triples and slugging pct. And we're 10th in stolen bases. But we're only one sacrifice short of being successful to being 2nd in sac bunts.

My belief is that, when your offense has problems like ours, every run is precious and you have to play small ball. If you can't hit, better learn how to bunt.
04-25-2016 06:28 PM
wheredidmypantsgo Offline
All American

I Root For: the Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
What's worse is that the other teams' offensive stats are depressed by having to face our pitching.

There's no question this offense is atrocious. We knew that going into the season, but likely not to the extent it's played out to date.
04-25-2016 07:14 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Just don't think we're recruiting the same offensive talent anymore. Up to our athletic department and coaches to make sure we remain competitive for top talent.
04-25-2016 07:24 PM
Old Sammy Offline
1st String

I Root For: truffles

New Orleans BowlDonators
(04-25-2016 06:11 PM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  Some shocking stats for hitting. 12 teams in CUSA baseball. We're dead last in runs, doubles, homers, RBI, total bases, on base pct and hit by pitch.

OTOH, we're 4th in conference RPI, .001 behind the Pac-12, ahead of Big12 and B1G
04-25-2016 09:38 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-25-2016 09:38 PM)Old Sammy Wrote:  

OTOH, we're 4th in conference RPI, .001 behind the Pac-12, ahead of Big12 and B1G

We also now rank in the Top 10 nationally in ERA, BAA and strikeouts.
04-25-2016 09:51 PM
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

Wonder if Berkman would have been able to help recruit some offensive talent?
04-26-2016 12:48 AM
owlsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
"Just don't think we're recruiting the same offensive talent anymore. Up to our athletic department and coaches to make sure we remain competitive for top talent."

This. Look at our line-up; there basically are no 3,4 and 5 hole hitters. We recruit middle infielders and center fielders, which is terrific for our middle infield and outfield depth. For our hitting, it is not so good. I think this is a choice we make (and I have said that for years). With a DH, 1B and LF to play with, you would think we would find a kid every year who can just drive the ball. That is simply something we do not do. Given the chance to pick up a slick fielding CF or a hitter, when that is the choice, we go one direction, every time.
04-26-2016 06:43 AM
davidw Offline
Special Teams

I'll say it again; we've got to get on a level playing field with TCU, Baylor, Vandy etc in terms of scholarship money. It simply costs too much to go to Rice on a half scholly for most of these kids, while the other private schools are giving full rides (with need based supplements). Of course this doesn't even count the public schools. We continue to have our hands tied when we're going after the best prospects.
04-26-2016 08:36 AM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

(04-26-2016 08:36 AM)davidw Wrote:  I'll say it again; we've got to get on a level playing field with TCU, Baylor, Vandy etc in terms of scholarship money. It simply costs too much to go to Rice on a half scholly for most of these kids, while the other private schools are giving full rides (with need based supplements). Of course this doesn't even count the public schools. We continue to have our hands tied when we're going after the best prospects.

+1000
04-26-2016 09:22 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(04-26-2016 09:22 AM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  
(04-26-2016 08:36 AM)davidw Wrote:  I'll say it again; we've got to get on a level playing field with TCU, Baylor, Vandy etc in terms of scholarship money. It simply costs too much to go to Rice on a half scholly for most of these kids, while the other private schools are giving full rides (with need based supplements). Of course this doesn't even count the public schools. We continue to have our hands tied when we're going after the best prospects.

+1000

while this is true, it doesn't explain why we can recruit pitchers but not hitters.
04-26-2016 09:25 AM
Advertisement

Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
(04-25-2016 09:38 PM)Old Sammy Wrote:  

Not sure it is any accomplishment to rank ahead of the B1G, but being ahead of the Big12 is great.
04-26-2016 09:26 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-26-2016 09:25 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

+1000

while this is true, it doesn't explain why we can recruit pitchers but not hitters.

Perhaps our/The OG's well-earned reputation for developing pitchers just may have something to do with this.
04-26-2016 10:51 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(04-26-2016 08:36 AM)davidw Wrote:  I'll say it again; we've got to get on a level playing field with TCU, Baylor, Vandy etc in terms of scholarship money. It simply costs too much to go to Rice on a half scholly for most of these kids, while the other private schools are giving full rides (with need based supplements).

Is there a realistic way that Rice can provide merit-based aid to baseball recruits (on par with what baseball peer schools provide) without having to provide the same aid to essentially every single student on campus? Rice's student body profile makes this a real challenge -- one which TCU, Baylor and even Vandy don't quite face.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016 12:32 PM by georgewebb.)
04-26-2016 12:31 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(04-26-2016 10:51 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-26-2016 09:25 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

+1000

Perhaps our/The OG's well-earned reputation for developing pitchers just may have something to do with this.
\

maybe, but the flip side of that coin would be his reputation for NOT developing hitters? Could that possible be right?
04-26-2016 01:03 PM
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Winning
(04-26-2016 12:31 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(04-26-2016 08:36 AM)davidw Wrote:  I'll say it again; we've got to get on a level playing field with TCU, Baylor, Vandy etc in terms of scholarship money. It simply costs too much to go to Rice on a half scholly for most of these kids, while the other private schools are giving full rides (with need based supplements).

Is there a realistic way that Rice can provide merit-based aid to baseball recruits (on par with what baseball peer schools provide) without having to provide the same aid to essentially every single student on campus? Rice's student body profile makes this a real challenge -- one which TCU, Baylor and even Vandy don't quite face.

Dang. Almost made it the month without stumbling on a post about our scholarship disadvantage. Not surprisingly it comes right on the heels of a weekend series loss. We're up into the top 20 in several polls without the merit-based aid and if it weren't for some early losses and two hard loss games in Hattiesburg we'd be in solid hosting position. Can we save the we're at a disadvantage talks for the offseason and stay focused on winning games? I get we lost a couple but the excuses posts don't make it feel better.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016 01:29 PM by BufflOwl.)
04-26-2016 01:28 PM
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

Can Rice just jack up tuition $1,000 for all students, then say that all students gaining admittance to Rice earn a $1,000 merit scholarship because they cross the minimum threhold for merit scholarships ... with additional amounts to be determined based on other factors?
04-26-2016 02:52 PM
HawaiiOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
(04-26-2016 01:28 PM)BufflOwl Wrote:  
(04-26-2016 12:31 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  

Dang. Almost made it the month without stumbling on a post about our scholarship disadvantage. Not surprisingly it comes right on the heels of a weekend series loss. We're up into the top 20 in several polls without the merit-based aid and if it weren't for some early losses and two hard loss games in Hattiesburg we'd be in solid hosting position. Can we save the we're at a disadvantage talks for the offseason and stay focused on winning games? I get we lost a couple but the excuses posts don't make it feel better.
There was a recent thread w comments from a former player stating that in fact that a large percentage of his teammates actually took the need-based route and received more financial support than what would have been received by getting, say, 1/4-1/3 of a schollie
04-26-2016 03:02 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(04-26-2016 02:52 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Can Rice just jack up tuition $1,000 for all students, then say that all students gaining admittance to Rice earn a $1,000 merit scholarship because they cross the minimum threhold for merit scholarships ... with additional amounts to be determined based on other factors?
Sure, but those other factors can't be sports-based -- and it's hard to come up with non-sports-based factors that would apply to baseball recruits but not to the student body as a whole.
04-26-2016 04:02 PM
75src Offline
All American

Rice needs to be cutting tuition instead of raising it. It is too much considering what it was in the past and William Marsh Rice's desire to have Rice tuition free.
04-26-2016 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.