beginning of the end for EMU football?
04-25-2016 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
RE: beginning of the end for EMU football?
No. It will have no bearing. This is beyond dumb, and really, it's nothing new from the same old cry-baby corner. They are completely out of touch. Laughable to suggest that football should do DII or DIII.
04-25-2016 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(04-25-2016 01:08 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  No. It will have no bearing. This is beyond dumb, and really, it's nothing new from the same old cry-baby corner. They are completely out of touch. Laughable to suggest that football should do DII or DIII.
This thing has been terrible press for EMU and sadly it has gotten a fair bit og attention and exposure at the college level of sports. Truly unfortunate for y'all that time warner's smear campaign seems to be working

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
04-25-2016 01:14 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(04-25-2016 01:08 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  No. It will have no bearing. This is beyond dumb, and really, it's nothing new from the same old cry-baby corner. They are completely out of touch. Laughable to suggest that football should do DII or DIII.

I was hoping you would chime in dave. I value your opinion and hope this blows over soon with EMU remaining unchanged!
04-25-2016 01:19 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
If student government is saying football is too expensive -- and that seems to be what is being said here -- that seems like it would carry more weight than a faculty-only recommendation.
04-25-2016 01:51 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
When it comes to this issue, the (tired and not new) opinions of student government, are like a flea on the back of a bear. Annoying.
04-25-2016 02:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
(04-25-2016 01:19 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  

I was hoping you would chime in dave. I value your opinion and hope this blows over soon with EMU remaining unchanged!

If the football team would just win some damned games. In the meantime, EMU has won 134 MAC championships over its 43 years in the conference.
04-25-2016 02:03 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
beginning of the end for EMU football?
(04-25-2016 02:03 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  

If the football team would just win some damned games. In the meantime, EMU has won 134 MAC championships over its 43 years in the conference.

Congrats on the underwater basket weaving championships. But in reality no one gives a **** about them. Hey if you guys want to stay D1 FBS and be a doormat. That's fine. We will take our easy W and an extra home game every other year.

Outside of the 20 guys on the EMU board, no one cares about EMU especially at the FBS level.
04-25-2016 02:50 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
(04-25-2016 01:14 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
This thing has been terrible press for EMU and sadly it has gotten a fair bit og attention and exposure at the college level of sports. Truly unfortunate for y'all that time warner's smear campaign seems to be working

Thanks Stay Cool. I appreciate your perspective.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2016 02:57 PM by HuronDave.)
04-25-2016 02:57 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-25-2016 02:50 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

Congrats on the underwater basket weaving championships. But in reality no one gives a **** about them. Hey if you guys want to stay D1 FBS and be a doormat. That's fine. We will take our easy W and an extra home game every other year.

Outside of the 20 guys on the EMU board, no one cares about EMU especially at the FBS level.

In reality, almost no one gives a **** about the MAC, period. If it ain't top 25, it doesn't exist in the national perspective outside the major conferences. You've got a few thousand MAC alums at each school that "care" about football and/or basketball and a couple hundred fans here who blow hard. We have some fans who live in the fantasy world that because some games are on ESPN and get some ratings, that it means something bigger than it does. What it means is that people will watch the only college football game on in the middle of the week. Nobody would seek those match-ups out if they were played at the same time as P5 games. The difference between EMU and other MAC programs is only noticeable from the MAC myopia. To the vast majority of American sports fans, there is no difference at all: it's all mostly irrelevant except for a few blips on the radar once in a while.
04-25-2016 04:05 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
With all this press, I'd make sure I was selling tickets and getting donations for the program on national basis. Definitely hit up HBO/Time-Warner for $$$. Bewkes' compensation is about $32-33 million a year.
04-25-2016 04:12 PM
Advertisement

UAZippers Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Akron
(04-25-2016 04:05 PM)axeme Wrote:  

In reality, almost no one gives a **** about the MAC, period. If it ain't top 25, it doesn't exist in the national perspective outside the major conferences. You've got a few thousand MAC alums at each school that "care" about football and/or basketball and a couple hundred fans here who blow hard. We have some fans who live in the fantasy world that because some games are on ESPN and get some ratings, that it means something bigger than it does. What it means is that people will watch the only college football game on in the middle of the week. Nobody would seek those match-ups out if they were played at the same time as P5 games. The difference between EMU and other MAC programs is only noticeable from the MAC myopia. To the vast majority of American sports fans, there is no difference at all: it's all mostly irrelevant except for a few blips on the radar once in a while.

Thank you! In the eyes of 99% of the college football fans in this country, the entire MAC might as well be one, almost completely irrelevant, entity. They do not care that NIU/BG has been to so many recent MAC championships. They would rate those two teams as being on the same level as the EMU/UMASS/UAs. Which teams are the best in the MAC is really important to us, but that "us" is a very small group of people.
04-25-2016 05:46 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(04-25-2016 05:46 PM)UAZippers Wrote:  
(04-25-2016 01:19 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  I was hoping you would chime in dave. I value your opinion and hope this blows over soon with EMU remaining unchanged!

Thank you! In the eyes of 99% of the college football fans in this country, the entire MAC might as well be one, almost completely irrelevant, entity. They do not care that NIU/BG has been to so many recent MAC championships. They would rate those two teams as being on the same level as the EMU/UMASS/UAs. Which teams are the best in the MAC is really important to us, but that "us" is a very small group of people.

Great perspective from 2 akron fans, speak for yourself.
04-25-2016 06:45 PM
Copy Cat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ohio
(04-25-2016 01:19 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  I was hoping you would chime in dave. I value your opinion and hope this blows over soon with EMU remaining unchanged!

There's some truth here, but it's so much worse at EMU. Yes, all MAC sports programs are subsidized by student fees. Not all MAC sports programs have so little measurable interest. At least at most other MAC schools a sizeable percentage of students go to at least one sporting event a year. That makes those subsidies they're forced to pay a bit easier to swallow. The "if only EMU would win" argument has already been disproved. The basketball team wins. It plays in a beautiful building. Parking is easy. Buses are free from dorms. The last time I was there, they gave away food and T-shirts and the team was good. No more than 200 students were there.

Unlike many people on this board, I don't like piling on with respect to attendance. I enjoy visiting Ypsi and hope EMU can turn things around. I just sincerely question if it's possible for it to happen. Less than half of the student body is 18-22, so there are a ton of non-traditional students, and the school is marketing to get more. Then you have the shadow of UM that will never go away. Other MAC schools have issues and some student and alumni apathy, but none are as acute and intractable as EMU's.
04-25-2016 06:58 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC

My school sucks in football so I'll discredit the conference as a whole to soften the blow to my ego!

My school sucks in football so I'll discredit the conference as a whole to soften the blow to my ego!

I agree because I'm a fan of the same school! Let's help ourselves feel less crappy about our team being garbage in football by saying the whole conference blows!

[Image: 200w.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2016 07:02 PM by Stay Cool.)
04-25-2016 07:01 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-25-2016 06:58 PM)Copy Cat Wrote:  Unlike many people on this board, I don't like piling on with respect to attendance. I enjoy visiting Ypsi and hope EMU can turn things around. I just sincerely question if it's possible for it to happen. Less than half of the student body is 18-22, so there are a ton of non-traditional students, and the school is marketing to get more. Then you have the shadow of UM that will never go away. Other MAC schools have issues and some student and alumni apathy, but none are as acute and intractable as EMU's.

Well said.
04-26-2016 09:46 AM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!

Those 134 championships would hopefully point toward continued similar success at the FCS level for those non-marquis sports. Is there though any hope of getting success and more importantly "actual" butts in the seats for football? For EMU the only accurate gage for attendance is TV and that has a 1-5k appearance for most games, and this has been the case for a while.

While all MAC schools have had some form of winning or attendance droughts, EMU's stretches have been longer and more concrete in nature, with little sign of hope for a substantial and extended turnaround.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016 10:41 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
04-26-2016 10:39 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I'm pulling for EMU this season outside of our game in Ypsi, I really am. If there was ever a program that needs a turnaround season, it's the Eagles. Your coach is in his third year and you guys return some good players IIRC, that's usually a positive sign.
04-26-2016 10:45 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
What happened at UAB should be a wakeup call. Granted UAB was something of a special situation but long suffering programs losing millions of dollars for hundreds of fans are in real trouble.
04-26-2016 11:02 AM
IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
My opinion...the problem with EMU isn't football, it is the fact it offers 21 sports while most other similar institutions offer only 17 or so. If EMU did only offer 17, it could funnel the money into football, improve, and then not lose as much money as it has been (all G5 lose money on football, it is just a matter of degree) and hopefully improve merchandising, alumni relations, and giving in the process. If the students government is worried about athletic spending, perhaps they should consider the portfolio of sports rather than just discussing eliminating football.

One other comment, not specific to EMU, but it drives me crazy because it was brought up here. The "cost" of athletics includes scholarships. This is a bogus cost (for the most part) other than board and books. A class with 3 athletes in it does not cause the university to pay the professor more money nor does it likely create the need for another class section. My understanding is that UAB figured this out after they dropped football and this is one reason why it is coming back.

I hope it works out for EMU!
04-26-2016 12:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.