Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

East Carolina plans a $55 million expansion to their stadium
Bookmark and Share
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
Very impressive. Reminds me of some of the things being done by the Mud Hens.
UT is fixing the bathrooms on the east side of the Glass Bowl plus cleaning up some clutter.
http://footballscoop.com/news/video-ecu-...n-stadium/
04-22-2016 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: East Carolina plans a $55 million expansion to their stadium
(04-22-2016 04:46 PM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  Very impressive. Reminds me of some of the things being done by the Mud Hens.
UT is fixing the bathrooms on the east side of the Glass Bowl plus cleaning up some clutter.

Although the Rockets often put as good a product on the field as the Pirates, whereas in recent years while Toledo has been averaging around 20,000 a game in the stands East Carolina has been putting over 40,000 a game in their stands.

It is their attendance, not their football prowess, that provides both the incentive and the revenue to expand their stadium to a capacity of 65,000. This is all possible because ECU enjoys one tremendous advantage that Toledo will NEVER have and that makes all the difference in the world.....Namely ECU has the good fortune to be a school in a state that is not totally dominated by one super football powerhouse that sucks in all the people in the entire state like a giant industrial grade vacuum cleaner and thus dwarfs all other programs by comparison. Not to rain on anybody's parade but Toledo is a victim of its environment and that is not likely ever going to change.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 07:06 PM by T-Town.)
04-22-2016 06:56 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
And don't compare to the Mud Hens either. That is a county owned team. Since the county won't use extra revenues to pay down stadium debt the team spends the excess on old banks and hockey teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-22-2016 07:34 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-22-2016 06:56 PM)T-Town Wrote:  
(04-22-2016 04:46 PM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  Very impressive. Reminds me of some of the things being done by the Mud Hens.

Although the Rockets often put as good a product on the field as the Pirates, whereas in recent years while Toledo has been averaging around 20,000 a game in the stands East Carolina has been putting over 40,000 a game in their stands.

It is their attendance, not their football prowess, that provides both the incentive and the revenue to expand their stadium to a capacity of 65,000. This is all possible because ECU enjoys one tremendous advantage that Toledo will NEVER have and that makes all the difference in the world.....Namely ECU has the good fortune to be a school in a state that is not totally dominated by one super football powerhouse that sucks in all the people in the entire state like a giant industrial grade vacuum cleaner and thus dwarfs all other programs by comparison. Not to rain on anybody's parade but Toledo is a victim of its environment and that is not likely ever going to change.

Absolutely correct. That's why I have to roll my eyes when people talk about adding seats to the Glass Bowl. How many schools in the country are within easy driving distance to three of the greatest football programs ever (UM,OSU,ND)?

Keep the Glass Bowl and Savage up-to-date and fan friendly.
04-22-2016 08:33 PM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(04-22-2016 07:34 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  And don't compare to the Mud Hens either. That is a county owned team. Since the county won't use extra revenues to pay down stadium debt the team spends the excess on old banks and hockey teams

You sure about that??? http://www.wtoc.com/story/21948160/fifth...t-paid-off

Quote:The county expects to make the final bond payment in 2016, which is five years earlier than originally anticipated...Back in 2010 the county refinanced the ballpark debt, which resulted in savings of $9 million...Gerken says when the ballpark debt is paid off the county will be able to use a portion of the profits from the Mud Hens to make extra payments on the construction debt for the Huntington Center arena.
04-22-2016 08:48 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

So Gerken actually did something right. Wow. Never thought much of the pickle

Previous county commissioners have transferred extra revenue to the general fund. And this extra revenue has gone to purchase bank buildings for the "music hall"

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 10:02 PM by indianasniff.)
04-22-2016 09:57 PM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(04-22-2016 07:34 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  And don't compare to the Mud Hens either. That is a county owned team. Since the county won't use extra revenues to pay down stadium debt the team spends the excess on old banks and hockey teams

We've known for years that the stadium would be paid off early. Attendance has been so solid that they're not only paying it of years early (also saving interest), but doing renovations as well. Now we've got the Hensville expansion to boot. It's the best management and result anyone could expect from a governmental body IMO.
04-23-2016 04:40 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2016 04:40 AM)toledobigmike Wrote:  

We've known for years that the stadium would be paid off early. Attendance has been so solid that they're not only paying it of years early (also saving interest), but doing renovations as well. Now we've got the Hensville expansion to boot. It's the best management and result anyone could expect from a governmental body IMO.

Centralizing the stadium, a big risk and building a quality stadium, they get credit that paid off. What they're doing with the revenue, reinvesting in government, I think there's legitimate challenge as to whether that is a best result. The extra rev could have gone directly to the other facility or developing retail/entertainment space for PRIVATE investment. Maybe I don't have a clear picture of "Hensville?"
04-23-2016 06:19 AM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
(04-22-2016 08:33 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(04-22-2016 06:56 PM)T-Town Wrote:  

Absolutely correct. That's why I have to roll my eyes when people talk about adding seats to the Glass Bowl. How many schools in the country are within easy driving distance to three of the greatest football programs ever (UM,OSU,ND)?

Keep the Glass Bowl and Savage up-to-date and fan friendly.
East Carolina has South Carolina, North Carolina, Clemson, and Wake Forest (not exactly a powerhouse) in the Carolinas. We don't need more seats but we need to be more fan friendly which includes playing on Saturday.
04-23-2016 08:17 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Hensville is a Hens development that is a government investment through the shell of the Hens board. And their investments are resulting in businesses move from private office space to the Hensville space. Cool new space to watch game. Love it. But businesses moving their office space there is a negative impact on private developers. One seagate for example has lost tenants to Hensville

Hensville is nice. But those dollars should be paying off debt

And you should ask. When so much if government cannot meet needs should government be investing in office space when streets are falling apart

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2016 03:37 PM by indianasniff.)
04-23-2016 03:33 PM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Hensville is fine. Maybe some exaggerations going on, and there are those on this board who will tell you I know exaggerations ;-) Local government isn't the bogeyman some, including the media, like to make it out to be. Plenty of good work being accomplished for our greater community every day. National level? Yeah, maybe not as much.

Back to ECU and their stadium...I think weather plays at least some role in attendance for mid-majors. Never been to North Carolina in October or November but I'm guessing it's a bit more stable than around here? Besides, what else is there to do in Greenville, NC?
04-24-2016 09:01 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-24-2016 09:01 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Hensville is fine. Maybe some exaggerations going on, and there are those on this board who will tell you I know exaggerations ;-) Local government isn't the bogeyman some, including the media, like to make it out to be. Plenty of good work being accomplished for our greater community every day. National level? Yeah, maybe not as much.

Back to ECU and their stadium...I think weather plays at least some role in attendance for mid-majors. Never been to North Carolina in October or November but I'm guessing it's a bit more stable than around here? Besides, what else is there to do in Greenville, NC?

The weather in Greenville vs. Toledo certainly favors ECU in November as does playing mostly Saturday games with 1 or 2 Thursday games usually thrown into the mix.; however, Toledo also usually has decent weather in October so it is probably not that much of a factor for October games. Toledo has a decent fall season thanks to the lake, it is the Spring season that is shortchanged around here.

Don't know what exactly there is to do in Greenville, but something (maybe jobs) is attracting people to the place because their population grew 36% between the 2000 and the 2010 census (Toledo dropped about 8 1/2% during that same period).

My take on their attendance is that they are the beneficiary of regional pride from Coastal Plain region of NC (eastern third of the state) whereas what regional pride (if any) there is in NW Ohio is not directed toward UT football because of the total dominance of THE Ohio State across the entire state. In NC football interest is divided among NC State, Duke, Carolina (UNC), Wake Forest AND East Carolina---no giants there but then no dwarfs either among the Division I type teams.
04-24-2016 04:41 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(04-24-2016 04:41 PM)T-Town Wrote:  
(04-24-2016 09:01 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Hensville is fine. Maybe some exaggerations going on, and there are those on this board who will tell you I know exaggerations ;-) Local government isn't the bogeyman some, including the media, like to make it out to be. Plenty of good work being accomplished for our greater community every day. National level? Yeah, maybe not as much.

The weather in Greenville vs. Toledo certainly favors ECU in November as does playing mostly Saturday games with 1 or 2 Thursday games usually thrown into the mix.; however, Toledo also usually has decent weather in October so it is probably not that much of a factor for October games. Toledo has a decent fall season thanks to the lake, it is the Spring season that is shortchanged around here.

Don't know what exactly there is to do in Greenville, but something (maybe jobs) is attracting people to the place because their population grew 36% between the 2000 and the 2010 census (Toledo dropped about 8 1/2% during that same period).

My take on their attendance is that they are the beneficiary of regional pride from Coastal Plain region of NC (eastern third of the state) whereas what regional pride (if any) there is in NW Ohio is not directed toward UT football because of the total dominance of THE Ohio State across the entire state. In NC football interest is divided among NC State, Duke, Carolina (UNC), Wake Forest AND East Carolina---no giants there but then no dwarfs either among the Division I type teams.

You forgot Charlotte and Appy State....
04-24-2016 06:50 PM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-24-2016 06:50 PM)Terry Wrote:  
(04-24-2016 04:41 PM)T-Town Wrote:  

You forgot Charlotte and Appy State....

Thanks for the correction. However, they are both newbies (both moved up in the past 2 years) and probably won't be much of a threat to the established programs for sometime to come, if ever. It will be interesting to see how they fare----Appalachian State is the only Division I school in the state in the Mountain Region but some folks in western North Carolina are already Tennessee fans.
04-24-2016 07:34 PM
Rocket_Tree Offline
2nd String

Having spent a semester of grad school at East Carolina prior transferring to Toledo I've experienced living in both areas. Greenville is the regional center in the coastal plain of NC, right smack in the middle. It is only about an hour from Greenville to the Raleigh Metro and about two hours to Charlotte Metro area. It isn't an area that had much of an influx of northerners (when I lived there anyway). It is still a good hour inland from the coast, so you have to add about an hour to any other part of the coastal plain to travel to the other closest metros. Pro-ball is a more recent development there so, it doesn't have the same draw as the Lions, Browns or Bengals do to Toledo. So location wise they are more removed from the Pro influence and have weaker college football competition than Toledo. In addition, they don't have as much competition in other college or pro sports either with the exception of college hoops. There wasn't much entertainment competition as a whole in the coastal plain to ECU, this has helped them build a stronger brand image over the years.

Oh, BTW, they consider Toledo to be a very strong academic institution. They screwed me over to offer a Toledo undergrad the assistant-ship they had given me to come to ECU for the following semester.
04-25-2016 12:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.