Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU Stadium
Bookmark and Share
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
ODU Stadium
Voted down. The timing isn't right. I guess there is a limit to the investment in FBS football that they are making in a CUSA with decreasing $ media rights package.

Do you think this will have an impact on the some of the BCS teams lined up to visit Norfolk in the coming years since a new stadium is delayed indefinitely?

Are you guys sure prudent ODU fans wouldn't trade places with JMU?
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 08:21 PM by NJDuke97.)
04-21-2016 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
ODU Stadium
There isn't a fan of any fbs level program that would willingly downgrade. You won't find them.
Stadium funding issues or not, they're not wishing they were still in the CAA.
04-21-2016 08:22 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
RE: ODU Stadium
Facilities represent a significant cost- they dwarf COA, added scholarship cost, conference entrance/exit fees. If you don't have facilities you will get out recruited by FCS schools with them, big schools probably will be less inclined to visit.

People often give the ODU Administration credit for having foresight and for taking risks- what happens when they are seriously in the red (reduced media rights deal, attendance dwindles, no new stadium on the horizon, on field product can't get off the ground)- will the ODU admin still be lauded?

No one ever gives JMU credit for having foresight and building/preparing through infrastructure. Infrastructure takes longer to build and is more costly. JMU is light years ahead of these other FBS schools in terms of infrastructure.
04-21-2016 08:33 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
ODU Stadium
The stadium that was voted down was Ballard's attempt to force his design. The BOV meets in June to hear the study/consultant results and will decide a course of action then. Ballard's proposal never had a chance.

Moving along.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 08:40 PM by JMU2004.)
04-21-2016 08:40 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(04-21-2016 08:33 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Facilities represent a significant cost- they dwarf COA, added scholarship cost, conference entrance/exit fees. If you don't have facilities you will get out recruited by FCS schools with them, big schools probably will be less inclined to visit.

People often give the ODU Administration credit for having foresight and for taking risks- what happens when they are seriously in the red (reduced media rights deal, attendance dwindles, no new stadium on the horizon, on field product can't get off the ground)- will the ODU admin still be lauded?

No one ever gives JMU credit for having foresight and building/preparing through infrastructure. Infrastructure takes longer to build and is more costly. JMU is light years ahead of these other FBS schools in terms of infrastructure.

You sure are jumping to a lot of conclusions. Its a good thing you were not around during the late 70's and throughout the 80's you would have despised Uncle Ron. I'm not going to say he was loved by all, because he surely was not, but talk about vision. Everyday was an adventure.
04-21-2016 09:59 PM
Purple agitator Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MadJames
(04-21-2016 08:19 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Voted down. The timing isn't right. I guess there is a limit to the investment in FBS football that they are making in a CUSA with decreasing $ media rights package.

Do you think this will have an impact on the some of the BCS teams lined up to visit Norfolk in the coming years since a new stadium is delayed indefinitely?

Are you guys sure prudent ODU fans wouldn't trade places with JMU?

You seem to have some insight into basketball and be a big JMU fan, but that last sentence in your post is asinine. I know a bunch of them (ODuh fans) and the answer is a resounding "no!" They have already had Appy, nc state, Marshall, w Kent, middle tenn etc come through, left us in the dust and no turning back. Our arrogance as fans to even think that way is laughable, delusional, and freaking sad
04-21-2016 10:37 PM
Advertisement

JMUNation Offline
All American

Wow, what an amazing list of schools you just posted. Right up there with Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama. ODUs FBS schedule is amazing. So much better than playing schools you have some tradition with. Western Kentucky? Gosh, I wish JMU could get them on the schedule.
04-21-2016 10:56 PM
Purple agitator Offline
Water Engineer

(04-21-2016 10:56 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Wow, what an amazing list of schools you just posted. Right up there with Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama. ODUs FBS schedule is amazing. So much better than playing schools you have some tradition with. Western Kentucky? Gosh, I wish JMU could get them on the schedule.

Yeah, their rpi was about 30 at this past season's end. They beat an sec school and competed with Big and MAC schools and played LSU , won a bowl for at least 2nd year in a row. They certainly suck. I've been rooting a very long time for Madison, but I am not blind from looking through purple lenses too long. My earlier statement about ODU fans stands based on first-hand knowledge, and I hate ODU
04-21-2016 11:14 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Don't care what their RPI was. They don't move the needle as far as interest goes. They are not a storied program. They simply had a good year. Two years from now they will be back to obscurity. Do you remember the Orange Bowl with N. I'll.? What have they done since? Even as an FCS school, does BFS sell out if West. Kent. or N. I'll. comes to JMU?
04-21-2016 11:22 PM
Purple agitator Offline
Water Engineer

(04-21-2016 11:22 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Don't care what their RPI was. They don't move the needle as far as interest goes. They are not a storied program. They simply had a good year. Two years from now they will be back to obscurity. Do you remember the Orange Bowl with N. I'll.? What have they done since? Even as an FCS school, does BFS sell out if West. Kent. or N. I'll. comes to JMU?

i want us to compete on the highest level , and going fbs is a move in that direction. any way you slice it W Kentucky has blown by us: I am not going to recount every p5 win they have and the games they are playing. You want to settle; that's your prerogative
04-21-2016 11:26 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

W. Kent. went 2-22 their first two seasons in FBS. Yes they have made two bowl games. Played Cent. Mich. both times. Yippee! That is big time football. Let me ask you something. If you put lipstick on a pig, does it stop being a pig?
04-21-2016 11:38 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

ODU Stadium
So if we can't play in the ACC, the next best thing is a CAA with s bunch of schools like URI, Maine & Elon? I don't understand your position that FBS isn't worth playing because we won't immediately be facing ND or Bama. Can't we progress towards that? Boise never would be who they became if they thought this way.

Just like you don't care for an FBS schedule with "lowly" WKU, I don't care for an FCS schedule with Elon. At least the FBS schedule offers the POSSIBILITY of playing schools people have heard of in the OOC, whether initially or eventually. Our FCS schedule provides one road opportunity against a big program & the only other solid opponents with name recognition we see are W&M, Richmond, Delaware (and honestly, that's not name recognition, they're local schools we have history with, nothing more).
04-22-2016 05:23 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
ODU Stadium
(04-21-2016 11:22 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Don't care what their RPI was. They don't move the needle as far as interest goes. They are not a storied program. They simply had a good year. Two years from now they will be back to obscurity. Do you remember the Orange Bowl with N. I'll.? What have they done since? Even as an FCS school, does BFS sell out if West. Kent. or N. I'll. comes to JMU?

You're right on this point. Let's say emu drops their program out of the Mac and we take their place. There isn't a single Mac opponent that will be an instant sellout for bridgeforth, and that's assuming it's a Saturday game. We won't show up for any Sunday-Friday game. We will have a barrage of excuses as to why we can't attend those games.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 06:44 AM by Potomac.)
04-22-2016 06:43 AM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

(04-21-2016 10:56 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Wow, what an amazing list of schools you just posted. Right up there with Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama. ODUs FBS schedule is amazing. So much better than playing schools you have some tradition with. Western Kentucky? Gosh, I wish JMU could get them on the schedule.

Norfolk state and central Connecticut is moving the needle for you?? Cause without a move that's what we're getting!
04-22-2016 07:19 AM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
can't we all just agree that we can point at them and laugh? Sounds good.
04-22-2016 07:47 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion

Not wishing to rub anything in, but you might want to look a littler closer.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa...narchs.php
04-22-2016 07:54 AM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't think VT will play out that home & home w/ ODU. They might get the first game in Norfolk in and then the return game. Would have to think VT had something built into the agreement about ODU having a new, larger stadium though for the rest of the series to come to fruition. But kudos to their AD for having the balls to go after and get a home & home with the best FBS school in the state. They are really leveraging their location (recruiting).
04-22-2016 08:12 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

(04-22-2016 07:54 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

Not wishing to rub anything in, but you might want to look a littler closer.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa...narchs.php

ODU's OOC schedule kicks ass! Nation, our OOC consist of Morehead St, Alcorn St, Central Connecticut St, Norfolk St, and St. Francis.... to use your words "yippee."
Who would not want to trade OOC schedules with ODU?
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 08:15 AM by Rock House Duke.)
04-22-2016 08:13 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2016 08:12 AM)olddawg Wrote:  I don't think VT will play out that home & home w/ ODU. They might get the first game in Norfolk in and then the return game. Would have to think VT had something built into the agreement about ODU having a new, larger stadium though for the rest of the series to come to fruition. But kudos to their AD for having the balls to go after and get a home & home with the best FBS school in the state. They are really leveraging their location (recruiting).

I think that the second VT series does stipulate a new stadium, but not the first.

In any case, I would hope that it would be complete by then, though it's moving slower than we would like. But it's a big decision and one that we need to get right.
04-22-2016 08:30 AM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

ODU Stadium
I don't get the animosity between some of your posters and some of our posters. Fact is our administration has publicly advocated to CUSA that JMU be considered if expansion occurs. Anyone with a brain should know we are not adversaries, we are allies.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 08:46 AM by ODU1986.)
04-22-2016 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.