UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Even Without Football, The Show Goes on for the UAB Marching Band
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Even Without Football, The Show Goes on for the UAB Marching Band
Some band updates from one of our contributing band members, Connor Gentry.

https://thedailydragon.com/2016/04/20/ev...hing-band/
04-20-2016 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Even Without Football, The Show Goes on for the UAB Marching Band
Sue Samuels said they wanted to march 300 by the time football came back. I thought that was probably optimistic, but then I had a band director friend point something out to me that I hadn't considered.

He said losing football might have been a blessing in disguise for the band (remember, he's a band guy, not a football guy). He asked me how many high school exhibitions they typically played.

Two.

And how many did they play this year?

About six.

And how many more thousands of high school band kids across Alabama did they get in front of this year than last year?

Many.

And as objectively as I can possibly be as a proud alum and even more proud father of a Marching Blazer, they put on one hell of a show last year, and it did not go unnoticed among the high school kids.
04-20-2016 07:42 PM
KSUBlazer Offline
Special Teams

(04-20-2016 07:42 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Sue Samuels said they wanted to march 300 by the time football came back. I thought that was probably optimistic, but then I had a band director friend point something out to me that I hadn't considered.

He said losing football might have been a blessing in disguise for the band (remember, he's a band guy, not a football guy). He asked me how many high school exhibitions they typically played.

Two.

And how many did they play this year?

About six.

And how many more thousands of high school band kids across Alabama did they get in front of this year than last year?

Many.

And as objectively as I can possibly be as a proud alum and even more proud father of a Marching Blazer, they put on one hell of a show last year, and it did not go unnoticed among the high school kids.

This. A thousand times this. People tend to forget that the best recruitment a marching band can do is a performance at a high grade competition or exhibition. The BOA performances in particular are great for recruitment. This is one way JSU's band has gotten so impressive - they do many, many more performances for the crowds where they can find recruits.

I really hope the Marching Blazers find a way to come back to metro Atlanta this year. There are about a gajillion top grade high school music programs around here that would be a great supplement to the existing recruiting approach.
04-20-2016 08:03 PM
Advertisement

BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

Clark's praise and respect of the band is one of the biggest reason's I've admired him so much. He knows they are the blood that fuels the beating Blazer hearts.
04-20-2016 08:38 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Excited to see a Fambrough run show.
04-20-2016 08:58 PM
Advertisement

BandGrad Offline
Heisman

It will be interesting to see who is chosen as the next Director of Bands. If I had a doctorate degree, I would put my name in for the job.
04-21-2016 09:48 AM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I wonder what the timeline of hiring a new director will be?
04-21-2016 10:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I'll be pissed if Fambrough throws his name into the hat and doesn't get strongly considered.
04-21-2016 11:19 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(04-21-2016 10:05 AM)UABslant Wrote:  I wonder what the timeline of hiring a new director will be?

Gene Fambrough is basically on a one-year interim Director basis, giving a little bit of time for the process to take place.
04-21-2016 11:23 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
Great Job Marching Blazers! It'll be great to see them back at the football games.
04-26-2016 06:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.