Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Fred Smith reflects upon his time with The USMC and working with The Navy Seabees
Bookmark and Share
Seabee TIger Fan Offline
No Ma'am

I Root For: Merica
Fred Smith reflects upon his time with The USMC and working with The Navy Seabees
Probably NTR, but it's an interesting read, and I know there are a few here that would read this.

http://www.seabee75.org/seabees-and-mari...ach-other/

#SeabeeDiamondAnniversary Ambassador, Fred Smith, recently reflected on his experience in the Marines and how it shaped the revolutionary delivery service that he founded, FedEx. Take a moment to read Fred's story and what he had to say about working with the Seabees!
04-19-2016 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Fred Smith reflects upon his time with The USMC and working with The Navy Seabees
What an amazing asset to this city he is ...
04-19-2016 08:41 PM
bengltgrs Offline
All American

Fred Smith reflects upon his time with The USMC and working with The Navy Sea...
(04-19-2016 07:37 PM)Seabee TIger Fan Wrote:  Probably NTR, but it's an interesting read, and I know there are a few here that would read this.

http://www.seabee75.org/seabees-and-mari...ach-other/

#SeabeeDiamondAnniversary Ambassador, Fred Smith, recently reflected on his experience in the Marines and how it shaped the revolutionary delivery service that he founded, FedEx. Take a moment to read Fred's story and what he had to say about working with the Seabees!

No one or no subject is more Tiger related than Fred Smith.
04-19-2016 09:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
RE: Fred Smith reflects upon his time with The USMC and working with The Navy Seabees
He's a very good man.
04-19-2016 09:55 PM
Advertisement

80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

True story - on the elevator over on Shady Grove going up for some meetings with other FedEx brass, doors open, there stands Fred Smith. "Hey guys, how we doing today ? Here to do a little business ?" ... then a handshake and a smile as we exchanged places elevator to hallway and vice versa. Just as friendly and approachable as could be. Great guy.
04-19-2016 10:17 PM
tiger86 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-19-2016 08:41 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  What an amazing asset to this city he is ...

We need to rename the airport to Frederick Smith International Airport and have the ICAO code be FWS.

It's the least we can do for him.

When I retire from FedEx in a few years, I am going to start the petition process to get this done, hopefully before he leaves us.
04-19-2016 11:30 PM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(04-19-2016 11:30 PM)tiger86 Wrote:  
(04-19-2016 08:41 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  What an amazing asset to this city he is ...

We need to rename the airport to Frederick Smith International Airport and have the ICAO code be FWS.

When I retire from FedEx in a few years, I am going to start the petition process to get this done, hopefully before he leaves us.

It would have been done years ago, but Fred said, "No." Not how he rolls.
04-20-2016 01:15 AM
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(04-19-2016 10:17 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  True story - on the elevator over on Shady Grove going up for some meetings with other FedEx brass, doors open, there stands Fred Smith. "Hey guys, how we doing today ? Here to do a little business ?" ... then a handshake and a smile as we exchanged places elevator to hallway and vice versa. Just as friendly and approachable as could be. Great guy.

Years ago the wife and I had a table next to Fred and a few other couples at Grisanti's. Very nice and made some conversation with us.
04-20-2016 09:24 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Good story. A few years ago, I walked up to Mr. Smith after a game over in Jonesboro and offered my hand, which he graciously shook.

My father was a SeaBee in WWII (serving mainly at Midway Island) and spent the rest of his life as a heavy equipment operator. We were poor but proud and moved a lot, living in Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and finally Tennessee (he refused to live in Yankeeland where there were unions and much better pay). I still have his old SeaBee ring.

There is a good John Wayne movie called "The Fighting SeaBees" which tells the story of how that branch came about. You have to already have a construction skill to join.
04-20-2016 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

Donators

Do it... DO IT NOW ! ! !

Great things are learned in the service of our nation. Semper Fi , Fred ! ! 04-rock

If you're still in college, consider getting a commission through ROTC or Officer Candidate School of one of the services. You won't regret it. Qualifications are high for all of them.
04-20-2016 11:29 AM
Advertisement

danny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(04-20-2016 10:58 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Good story. A few years ago, I walked up to Mr. Smith after a game over in Jonesboro and offered my hand, which he graciously shook.

My father was a SeaBee in WWII (serving mainly at Midway Island) and spent the rest of his life as a heavy equipment operator. We were poor but proud and moved a lot, living in Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and finally Tennessee (he refused to live in Yankeeland where there were unions and much better pay). I still have his old SeaBee ring.

There is a good John Wayne movie called "The Fighting SeaBees" which tells the story of how that branch came about. You have to already have a construction skill to join.

Bless your father for his service. Truly part of "The Greatest Generation."
04-20-2016 01:10 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Fred Smith is a special man.

The positive impacts that he has had on our university and our city are immeasurable.

Thanks to him for his service to our country in so many capacities. I bet he is most proud of his service in The Corps.
04-20-2016 01:16 PM
tiger86 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-20-2016 01:15 AM)George CantStandYa Wrote:  

Not what I hear. Local politician idiocy more likely the culprit from what I am told.
04-20-2016 03:46 PM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(04-20-2016 03:46 PM)tiger86 Wrote:  
(04-20-2016 01:15 AM)George CantStandYa Wrote:  

Not what I hear. Local politician idiocy more likely the culprit from what I am told.

I don't know what you are hearing, but it is incorrect. Several politicians over the years have floated the idea, and every time, Mr. Smith stops it in its tracks.
04-20-2016 11:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.