Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Sports on the AAC Basketball Coaching hires...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
CBS Sports on the AAC Basketball Coaching hires...
From the article:

The level of coaching in the American Athletic Conference has went up a notch

This league has been vastly underrated in terms of its caliber of coaches over the past few years and that narrative should probably stop now.

The American Conference currently has three coaches who have won a national title -- Larry Brown (SMU), Kevin Ollie (UConn), Tubby Smith (Memphis) -- as well as another that's led a program to a Final Four in Houston's Kelvin Sampson when he was at Oklahoma in 2002.

Add two others in Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) and Johnny Dawkins (UCF) that have taken to the teams to the Sweet 16 during their career and Mike Dunleavy Sr. (Tulane), who's coached four NBA teams and you've got a heck of a league from a coaching perspective. Tulsa's Frank Haith was also National Coach of the Year in 2012 at Missouri and Temple's Fran Dunphy is now the winningest coach of the history of the Big 5 in Philadelphia.

The American Conference had four teams in the NCAA Tournament last season.

Don't be surprised if that number becomes a more consistent theme moving forward thanks to the caliber of the guys pulling strings from the sideline in this league.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...lling-away
04-18-2016 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: CBS Sports on the AAC Basketball Coaching hires...
If this trend keeps up, and some of the new hires in football pan out, it will be hard for the P5 to keep treating the AAC like a second class citizen.

Hopefully we don't see major slippage at schools like Memphis when they have a coach poached. (No, I don't mean Pastner)
04-18-2016 11:42 AM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(04-18-2016 10:41 AM)Maize Wrote:  From the article:

This league has been vastly underrated in terms of its caliber of coaches over the past few years and that narrative should probably stop now.

The American Conference currently has three coaches who have won a national title -- Larry Brown (SMU), Kevin Ollie (UConn), Tubby Smith (Memphis) -- as well as another that's led a program to a Final Four in Houston's Kelvin Sampson when he was at Oklahoma in 2002.

Add two others in Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) and Johnny Dawkins (UCF) that have taken to the teams to the Sweet 16 during their career and Mike Dunleavy Sr. (Tulane), who's coached four NBA teams and you've got a heck of a league from a coaching perspective. Tulsa's Frank Haith was also National Coach of the Year in 2012 at Missouri and Temple's Fran Dunphy is now the winningest coach of the history of the Big 5 in Philadelphia.

Don't be surprised if that number becomes a more consistent theme moving forward thanks to the caliber of the guys pulling strings from the sideline in this league.

has went?

Hey CBS, Where do I forward my resume?
04-18-2016 11:47 AM
Advertisement

ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(04-18-2016 11:47 AM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  
(04-18-2016 10:41 AM)Maize Wrote:  From the article:

has went?

Hey CBS, Where do I forward my resume?

Apparently editing and journalist grammar skill has went down a notch.
04-18-2016 11:53 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I appreciate the thought though.

#AmericanRising 04-cheers
04-18-2016 11:59 AM
Advertisement

PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
uh..hello?? Lebo has won 99 games at ECU!!

WTF CBS...
04-18-2016 12:11 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2016 12:11 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  uh..hello?? Lebo has won 99 games at ECU!!

WTF CBS...

Matt Youmans
‏@mattyoumans247

George Karl's proposed staff was Augmon, Welch and Karl's son. Due around $7 mil from the Kings, Karl was willing to coach at UNLV for 500k

https://twitter.com/mattyoumans247/statu...8487142400

If ECU had any pride in their basketball program at all then the AD would give Karl a call to see if the tweet was true. That would be a major upgrade over Lebo.
04-18-2016 12:37 PM
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

(04-18-2016 12:37 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(04-18-2016 12:11 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  uh..hello?? Lebo has won 99 games at ECU!!

WTF CBS...

Matt Youmans
‏@mattyoumans247

George Karl's proposed staff was Augmon, Welch and Karl's son. Due around $7 mil from the Kings, Karl was willing to coach at UNLV for 500k

If ECU had any pride in their basketball program at all then the AD would give Karl a call to see if the tweet was true. That would be a major upgrade over Lebo.

Wow, great find! That would be a tremendous solution that would give your program instant credibility with the recruits, be right in your price range and be a great name coach to rebuild your program. I hope your AD saw this and is a good salesman.
04-18-2016 12:44 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
I'm not surprise by the added attention the AAC it's been given.

My hunch - The AAC positioning itself strong when back at the negotiation table and hammer out that respectable TV $$$ deal this league deserves.
04-18-2016 12:44 PM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2016 12:44 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  

WTF CBS...

Matt Youmans
‏@mattyoumans247

Wow, great find! That would be a tremendous solution that would give your program instant credibility with the recruits, be right in your price range and be a great name coach to rebuild your program. I hope your AD saw this and is a good salesman.

Not only that but Karl went to UNC, so that would allow the ECU fans that have a crush on UNC; to keep a tarhole coaching at ECU.
04-18-2016 12:49 PM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

(04-18-2016 12:49 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(04-18-2016 12:44 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  

WTF CBS...

Matt Youmans
‏@mattyoumans247

Not only that but Karl went to UNC, so that would allow the ECU fans that have a crush on UNC; to keep a tarhole coaching at ECU.

There you go, it puts checks in all the boxes.

In all seriousness, it would show a lot of stones and an attitude of aggressively wanting to fix basketball within the limitations of your budget if your AD could make this happen.

If you landed Karl at $500K per year for 4 years and bought out Lebow for 1.5 your total coaching investment would be 4 years at 3.5 mill, $875,000 per season for an NBA coach of the year. If after 3 seasons you needed to can Karl early if things went sideways you could get out for 500K.

You can’t lose!
04-18-2016 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.