Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recalling Your SBC Team's Seasons As a Student
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Another fun off season discussion to pass the slow summer months...

Thought it'd be fun to talk about how your SBC team was doing while you were a student

For me I was around for an interesting time (2007-2011) My freshman year was the year the Astate brass conceded into the NCAA pressure and announced the retirement of the 'Indians' mascot at the end of the athletic year. It was crazy to be a student during the mascot changing process-and by the way, their were SOOOO many horrible ideas that were thrown around

some notable ones...
-Peckers (aka Ivory Bill Woodpeckers)
-Skeeters
-Ridgerunners
-Fightin Farmers
-Engines (aka Injuns)
-Mallards
-StAtesMen
-Dragons
-Express
-bringing back former mascots (Gorilla, Aggies, Warriors)

Besides the Texas A&M victory in august of 2008, we pretty much didn't do Zilch until Freeze was promoted as head coach in december of 2010 but boy his first (and only year) was a BLAST. I was very fortunate to be a student staff member during his tenure, and I was there from the first game (at Illinois) to the bowl game (while a lost to NIU the beginning of the Gus Malzahn era).
04-17-2016 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
Id rather not... That should tell you all you need to know.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 05:03 PM by TrueBlueAlum.)
04-17-2016 05:03 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Recalling Your SBC Team's Seasons As a Student
I didn't go, however, my daughter entered Southwest Texas State but graduated Texas State University-San Marcos (bachelor's 2004). She was working on her Master's during the 2005 NC run. (master's 2007)

She also endured the Manny Matsakis disaster. (subsequent rampant NCAA violations)
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 05:26 PM by CatMom.)
04-17-2016 05:23 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Im about to show my young age

My whole family went to GS so I've been immersed in the culture even before being a student.

Freshman 2013 Defeat of UF, the rest of the season is kind of a myth no one really knows if it even happened

Sophomore 2014 SBC champions and two fumbles away from beating GT and NCST

Junior 2015 GoDaddy Bowl Champions, a fumble away from beating UGA, and December 5th, 2015 - a date which will live in infamy

Senior 2016 ???
04-17-2016 05:25 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I was a student for our first New Orleans Bowl trip in 05, but that's about it.
04-17-2016 05:34 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Football and softball didn't exist.

Basketball - Two NCAA Tournament appearances (2006 and 2008); the two games with WKU during the 2008 season were great games. They did a white out for us at WKU. We averaged about 5400 I believe. Going to the NCAA Tournament is a blast by the way. I went to both, one in Jacksonville and one in Birmingham.

Baseball - I hate playing regionals in Tallahassee...
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 05:36 PM by SkullyMaroo.)
04-17-2016 05:34 PM
Advertisement

High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
Freshman year- Baseball team had the best year in school history. 1 game away from a super regional before losing back to back games against Oklahoma to get knocked out. Believe we only lost around 5 games the entire season.

Sophomore year- Beat #1 ranked Georgia Southern at Paulson.

After that I witnessed both our transition from FCS to FBS and our transition from one chancellor to the next.
04-17-2016 06:12 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
1-AA - aka nobody gives a ****.
04-17-2016 06:46 PM
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
(04-17-2016 06:46 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  1-AA - aka nobody gives a ****.

Cool story bro07-coffee3
04-17-2016 07:03 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
My freshman year was the high water mark for football during my years. It was 2000 and we made it to the Semi-finals at Montana. We lost a heartbreaker in OT. We actually beat Troy in round 1 after losing to them in Boone early in the year.

After that only highlight was the infamos Furman "Go For 2" play in 2002 where our DE intercepted a pass on a Furman 2 pt conversion attempt and he pitched it to our CB who took it the distance to win. Crazy play which should have never happened as Furman was up 1 with :08 to go. Interesting enough Bobby Lamb was the coach at Furman, and his young son Taylor was on the sidelines. Taylor was so impressed with the atmosphere it played a role in him signing with us in 2013.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 07:41 PM by JTApps1.)
04-17-2016 07:40 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
We were FCS my first two years so I really didn't pay attention but the announcement of us going FBS perked my ears up and so I went to my first TXST game when we played SHSU in our FCS transitional year. Then my senior year we went 4-8 but had some great games vs Nevada, SJSU, Navy, and La Tech and a great win over Houston. I was so pumped when we beat them, but my ex's dad who is an Aggie fan couldn't understand what the big deal was. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make our first FBS home game against Texas Tech though.
04-17-2016 07:47 PM
Advertisement

bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
I was in school for the 1998-2002 seasons and we were 63-10 with 5 conference championships, two FCS nationtional chamipionships, a Walter Payton award winner and Div 1's all time leading rusher. 5-1 against App. Things were good.
04-17-2016 07:55 PM
chantzilla Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: COASTAL
Coastal announced they would start up football during the 1999-2000 school year (same year I graduated from CCU).

Three years later, we played our first game. In 2017, we become an FBS program.

Pretty remarkable how much we've grown since I graduated.
04-17-2016 08:08 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
1975... yea I'm old. Apps go 8-3, but do not win the SoCon championship. One of the craziest, wackiest seasons ever. We beat Wake Forest, ECU and South Carolina. Lose to Furman, Richmond and DII Western Carolina. We're headed to the Tangerine Bowl until the loss to WCU. Finished the year (not 1-AA) 7th ranked total offense - 4,625 yards, 8th ranked scoring offense - 30.6 and 9th ranked rushing offense - 3450 yards. Richmond won the SoCon with a 5-6 over all record. Lost to Cincinnati, Va Tech, Ball State, Georgia, West Virginia and William & Mary. We ran the Wishbone and fumbled 5 times in the rain at Richmond. On the year we fumbled 26 times, lost 13.
04-17-2016 08:13 PM
Loyaleagle Offline
Bench Warmer

We weren't in the Sun Belt when I attended GS. We also didn't have a football team.
04-17-2016 09:35 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
All Southland Conference

2003 - the one year of Matsakis. Team sucked. Only memories were his names for each unit. Triple shoot offense, shark in the water defense, and special forces special teams. and yet I stayed a fan.

2004 - Almost beat Baylor with Chase Wasson as QB. This was Bailiffs first season. Lost a lot of close games and had more fun watching the team.

2005 - The only great season I've seen. Almost beat Fran coached A&M. Lost in OT in FCS semis. Should have won but in typical TXST fashion we gave it away. This was THE KNEE incident.

2006 - Rice hired coach and we got a high school coach. Team regressed. Back to the average team we fans are use to seeing.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 09:35 AM by slycat.)
04-18-2016 09:35 AM
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
2004: Powerful team that couldn't hold the ball during the first round of the playoffs

2005: Season that sent us into a tailspin... Besides the game at UF game, this is my all time favorite:

Start at 3:15... Epic parties followed that night

2006: Named Query Not Found

2007: The Jayson Foster Show

2008: 03-puke
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 09:52 AM by TheEagleWay.)
04-18-2016 09:48 AM
GS99-00 Offline
2nd String

My years were 1999-2003, I was a student equipment manager, Paul Johnson was HC for 3 years & Mike Sewak was HC for 2 years:

1999 - We went 13-2, losses to App & Oregon St (coached by Dennis Erickson)
We destroyed Youngstown St (lead by Jim Tressel) 59-24 on a cold rainy night in Chattanooga, TN to win our 5th National Championship, got to witness AP's The Run from the corner of the player's box w/ Coach Ivin Jasper (Navy's OC)
Co-SoCon Champs

2000 - We also went 13-2, losses to UGA & Furman
We had jumped out to a good lead vs. Montana in the National Championship game, another cold rainy night in Chattanooga, TN, Montana came storming back & took the lead until the next play from scrimmage, where AP broke the Son of the Run put us back in the lead for the remainder of the game. 28-26, for our 6th National Championship
SoCon Champs

2001 - We went 12-2, losses to ETSU & Furman
We blew a halftime lead against Furman, & in the semifinals, this was our 1st home play-off loss in history
Johnson was rumored to had already accepted the Navy HC position the week prior to the Furman semi-final game
SoCon Champs

2002 - We went 11-3, losses to Western Kentucky, Delaware & Wofford
SoCon Champs
Again loss to WKU in a home semifinal game, in a nail bitter of a game
Mike Sewak's 1st season as a HC

2003 - The only year, while I was in school, where we didn't win the SoCon or make the playoffs

I had a blast working w/ the team & traveling w/ the team over those 5 seasons. So much so it is still hard to this day being a season ticket holder & having to watch the games from the stands.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 11:24 AM by GS99-00.)
04-18-2016 11:15 AM
sarkelcpa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS, Ohio St.
1979-1980: No football!
1980-1981: No football!

They didn't bring football to Georgia Southern until the year after I graduated.
04-18-2016 06:30 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(04-17-2016 06:46 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  1-AA - aka nobody gives a ****.

I totally disagree.

I was there during 84-88....and saw some really good football.
I got to see Eddie Robinson coach his Grambling team in Jonesboro. We also made it to the 1-AA finals against some team....can't remember who, but we lost.
Saw us whip Memphis St with a backup QB. As always, that was supposed to be 'their year'.

Let's face it. The 1-AA playoffs will remain a much better format than the handful of teams they pit together in 1-A. That format eliminates the Cinderellas and that's the most fun of the basketball tourneys.
04-18-2016 09:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.