Open TigerLinks

I'm coming around
Bookmark and Share
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
I'm coming around
I admit I wasn't thrilled initially about the hire. I've changed my mind. It was a good call. A very good call.

On a side note there has been a ton of pub out here in Las Vegas on the hire. Now there seems to be a domino effect with Texas Tech. Now they're going after Chris Beard Unlv's coach all of seven days.

Memphis is really getting a lot of press out here right now because of everything going on.
04-14-2016 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerPhil Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
RE: I'm coming around
You're the man Chi-Town Tiger!! I think it's a great hire. If the man can turn around a crap Texas Tech program in year three and put them in the NCAA tournament, win coach of the year...then he can really win here!

I know this Chi-Town Tiger, you are one of the best posters this board has, and easily one of my favorites!

It's Tubby Time! 04-cheers
04-14-2016 10:32 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(04-14-2016 10:17 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  I admit I wasn't thrilled initially about the hire. I've changed my mind. It was a good call. A very good call.

On a side note there has been a ton of pub out here in Las Vegas on the hire. Now there seems to be a domino effect with Texas Tech. Now they're going after Chris Beard Unlv's coach all of seven days.

Memphis is really getting a lot of press out here right now because of everything going on.

This is a really good story, and Tubby still has a name nationally.

More importantly, we just landed the best pure coach the program has ever seen. People are concerned about recruiting, but understand recruiting is the whole reason Tubby took the job.

He wants a legitimate chance to build final a 4 caliber team(s), and he knows this is a place he can do that.

Get your popcorn ready. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 10:43 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-14-2016 10:40 PM
SpiderMan79x Offline
All American

I'm kind of with you on this feeling. I'm still not crazy excited about it at this point, but I'm a Tigers fan and its not Josh. We could have done much, much worse. I have to see the assistants, recruiting results and the product on the floor for a few years. It is also nice to see some good pub nationally.

The reality is if he doesn't win like people are now expecting then the wolves will be out soon enough. It will all sort it itself out in the long run, and if he wins big and has some deep runs then I'll be the first to admit how off-base I initially was.

Go Tigers!
04-14-2016 10:41 PM
OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators

04-14-2016 10:45 PM
anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
Too bad all of our fans can't be this rational.

Of course if they were then this place would be boring.
04-14-2016 10:48 PM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Online
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(04-14-2016 10:40 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 10:17 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  I admit I wasn't thrilled initially about the hire. I've changed my mind. It was a good call. A very good call.

More importantly, we just landed the best pure coach the program has ever seen. People are concerned about recruiting, but understand recruiting is the whole reason Tubby took the job.

He wants a legitimate chance to build final a 4 caliber team(s), and he knows this is a place he can do that.

Kirk has that title IMO
04-14-2016 10:48 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
I need to see the full staff and how recruiting wraps.

I don't doubt Tubby's X/O ability.

Cautiously optimistic about his roster building.
04-14-2016 10:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smith Offline
1st String

(04-14-2016 10:48 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 10:40 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

Kirk has that title IMO

Dana's rep was for the last 2 minutes of the game. Tubby doesn't have to recruit here. The Memphis brand does the recruiting.
04-14-2016 10:53 PM
thewood3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M

Chi, your one of my favorite posters. Tubby will be awesome in Memphis! Do you have any links about the noise in Vegas? I love seeing national pub for Memphis.
04-14-2016 10:54 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Re: RE: I'm coming around

I have had a pretty similar swing. Hearing how nationally respected and how many in big names in college basketball consider this a great hire has helped me turn the corner.
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(04-14-2016 10:48 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 10:40 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  This is a really good story, and Tubby still has a name nationally.

Kirk has that title IMO

I love some Dana Kirk, but Tubbys resume dwarfs Dana's.

18 NCAA tourneys in 23 years is impressive. He will put his 4th program in the Sweet 16 here.

We will be a record breaking 6th program he puts in the NCAA tourney.

Tubby is a future HOFer.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 10:58 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
TrUmEm Offline
All American

I'm definitely starting to get excited a little bit. I wasn't at first, but this could definitely be a good thing. We finally have a proven coach, and the truth is, the guy most people wanted (Marshall) hasn't recruited the most talented players, but has been able to coach them up. Tubby can coach players up at so called "lesser" basketball schools then he should be able to do that here, in addition to getting good quality players..probably better quality than he was getting at Tech or Minn. Maybe he'll manage to pull a 5 star from time to time. Maybe not. There are never guarantees but it will be interesting watching this play out.
04-14-2016 11:04 PM
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
I'm still offering that drink friend. See you soon.
04-14-2016 11:06 PM
BuccTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis / ETSU
Tubby Smith can coach his ass off, but let's not go crazy. He's going to have to get some talent, and he hasn't historically recruited well anywhere he has coached, even KY. My only concern is that his style of play isn't what Memphis is traditionally known for, running. His teams traditionally don't run, that may make recruiting Memphis difficult?

I would have rather had someone else, but I can live with this hire. In terms of coaching pluses and minuses, he is the opposite of JP. Very good "coach" on all levels, not a good recruiter. The only thing common between JP and Tubby are running clean programs. The clean part may have played into his lack of recruiting success?

The man can coach though.
04-14-2016 11:12 PM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
(04-14-2016 10:54 PM)Tygrys Wrote:  

I have had a pretty similar swing. Hearing how nationally respected and how many in big names in college basketball consider this a great hire has helped me turn the corner.

They had an entire segment on Am 1100 our main sports radio station. I listen to it every day driving back and forth from work. They had a news guy on from Lubbock talking about Chris Beard and his allegiance to TT. They talked about how pissed the AD was losing Tubby. They loved him there.

They talked about us being a big time program and it was the right move for Tubby. The sports guys here are pissed the Board of Regents took 10 days to approve the hire of Beard.

They then went on to say how we sealed the deal in just a few hours before the presser was done announcing Tubby. They mockingling said "only in Nevada it takes ten days and it took Memphis only two hours". Made us look real good.
04-14-2016 11:13 PM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(04-14-2016 11:12 PM)BuccTiger Wrote:  Tubby Smith can coach his ass off, but let's not go crazy. He's going to have to get some talent, and he hasn't historically recruited well anywhere he has coached, even KY. My only concern is that his style of play isn't what Memphis is traditionally known for, running. His teams traditionally don't run, that may make recruiting Memphis difficult?

I would have rather had someone else, but I can live with this hire. In terms of coaching pluses and minuses, he is the opposite of JP. Very good "coach" on all levels, not a good recruiter. The only thing common between JP and Tubby are running clean programs. The clean part may have played into his lack of recruiting success?

The man can coach though.

Tulsa, Georgia and Kentucky ran teams out of the building.

Tubby was also landing top 10 classes several years into his run at UK.

Its impossible to recruit well at Minnesota or TT. And its hard to be an uptempo team as a bottom tier B10 or B12 program.

These are truthful points that should be considered as well.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 11:42 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-14-2016 11:18 PM
BuccTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis / ETSU
(04-14-2016 11:18 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its impossible to recruit well at Minnesota or TT. And its hard to be an uptempo team as a bottom tier B10 or B12 team.

I'll agree on this, but I won't concede my other points.

If he can get decent talent, in two years it will be impressive.
04-14-2016 11:24 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(04-14-2016 11:24 PM)BuccTiger Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 11:18 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its impossible to recruit well at Minnesota or TT. And its hard to be an uptempo team as a bottom tier B10 or B12 team.

I'll agree on this, but I won't concede my other points.

If he can get decent talent, in two years it will be impressive.

Hes likely got the best player in the league.

The late signing period JUST started.

Let's see where we are in a month.
04-14-2016 11:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
[Image: bepop_zpsyqyxwxir.gif]
04-14-2016 11:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.