Providence @ Ohio State
Wisconsin @ Creighton
Seton Hall @ Iowa
Rutgers @ DePaul
St. John's @ Minnesota
Maryland @ Georgetown
Villanova @ Purdue
Northwestern @ Butler

Have to say pretty underwhelming. Sounds like the Big Ten may have pushed to avoid a Wisconsin/Xavier rematch. I know Big East fans thought this was such a homer- but 2 years in and it is exactly what I thought it would be- a double.
04-14-2016 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Gavitt Games announced
Sad that Marquette is not involved this season (as well as Xavier). Oh well, it needs to happen at some point, and there are still some quality games to look forward to. Wisconsin/Creighton, Maryland/Georgetown, Villanova/Purdue and Northwestern/Butler should all be entertaining games. Providence will be rebuilding next year, although it looks like OSU is doing the same (with transfers to Austin Grandstaff, Daniel Giddens, Mickey Mitchell and A.J. Harris).

Rutgers/DePaul is just too funny. The stoppable force meets the movable object.
04-14-2016 09:07 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

The interesting thing is/was that Creighton was expected to (along with Marquette) to sit out this year - and Xavier was expecting a home game as part of the challenge. Creighton was very surprised to get Wisconsin. Did someone prevent a possible Wisconsin/Xavier game after they played each other in the tournament this past year?
04-14-2016 09:10 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I definitely think the Big Ten balked at a Xavier/Wisconsin rematch.
04-14-2016 09:12 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Yeah, it really looks like part of this "deal" is that Big Ten teams get to avoid matchups they don't want.

If fans got to choose the pairings, we'd get games that people really want to see, like Villanova - Michigan State ... it's a diss to Nova to make the defending champs play Purdue instead.

It's really weak that the Big Ten sends its 13th and 14th place teams to this and lets its top two teams avoid it.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 11:03 AM by Wedge.)
04-14-2016 10:59 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(04-14-2016 10:59 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Yeah, it really looks like part of this "deal" is that Big Ten teams get to avoid matchups they don't want.

If fans got to choose the pairings, we'd get games that people really want to see, like Villanova - Michigan State ... it's a diss to Nova to make the defending champs play Purdue instead.

It's really weak that the Big Ten sends its 13th and 14th place teams to this and let's its top two teams avoid it.

To be fair, this is not like the Big Ten-ACC Challenege in set-up. Over the x number of years of the deal, every team will be in it an equal amount of time so you want to balance things out a little.
04-14-2016 11:02 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

Michigan St never was going to play Nova or Xavier this year. MSU has the champions classic that is the Tuesday night. Nova and Xavier have exempt tournaments starting that Thursday- so to play had to play on Tuesday. So no luck there at all...
04-14-2016 11:15 AM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(04-14-2016 11:02 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 10:59 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Yeah, it really looks like part of this "deal" is that Big Ten teams get to avoid matchups they don't want.

It's really weak that the Big Ten sends its 13th and 14th place teams to this and let's its top two teams avoid it.

To be fair, this is not like the Big Ten-ACC Challenege in set-up. Over the x number of years of the deal, every team will be in it an equal amount of time so you want to balance things out a little.

That's not really what he's saying. We know everyone will play, its just the matchup's when they play. Looks like B1G is trying to prevent any potential loses (of the top teams)which might affect their chances of getting in the tournament or their potential seeding. Having the Mid to lower tier B1G teams play the top BE teams would mean...Worst case scenerio (for B!G), they lost to a better team-Best case scenerio, they pull an upset and helps the team and the conference.
04-14-2016 11:19 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California

Michigan State didn’t play in this event last year, either. Rutgers did, and they're in it again.

And the three best Big East teams in the event all have to play on the road this year... how convenient if the Big Ten is looking to set itself up to "win" the series.
04-14-2016 11:19 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(04-14-2016 11:19 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Michigan State didn’t play in this event last year, either. Rutgers did, and they're in it again.

And the three best Big East teams in the event all have to play on the road this year... how convenient if the Big Ten is looking to set itself up to "win" the series.

well of the 4 teams playing on the road....
Providence- hosted last year
St John's- hosted last year
Villanova- hosted last year
Seton Hall- 1st time in event.

the 4 home teams-
Georgetown- played on road last year
Creighton- played on road last year
DePaul- played on road last year
Butler- 1st time in event

So only thing that could have changed would be Seton Hall and Butler flipping. Also wouldn't say 3 best teams from Big East are playing on the road. Nova and Seton Hall yes- but I would say Creighton is going to be better than Providence next year.
04-14-2016 11:38 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

so like next year we'll know pretty much for sure....

BE teams on the road:
Butler
Marquette
2/3 of Georgetown, Creighton, DePaul

BE teams at home:
Seton Hall
Xavier
2/3 of Providence, St John's, Villanova
04-14-2016 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-14-2016 09:07 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Sad that Marquette is not involved this season (as well as Xavier). Oh well, it needs to happen at some point, and there are still some quality games to look forward to. Wisconsin/Creighton, Maryland/Georgetown, Villanova/Purdue and Northwestern/Butler should all be entertaining games. Providence will be rebuilding next year, although it looks like OSU is doing the same (with transfers to Austin Grandstaff, Daniel Giddens, Mickey Mitchell and A.J. Harris).

Maryland/Georgetown should be a lot of fun!
Too bad we couldn't also get Xavier/Ohio State and Butler/Purdue (or Indiana). Marquette/Wisconsin would've been nice, too.
04-14-2016 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2016 12:02 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 09:07 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Sad that Marquette is not involved this season (as well as Xavier). Oh well, it needs to happen at some point, and there are still some quality games to look forward to. Wisconsin/Creighton, Maryland/Georgetown, Villanova/Purdue and Northwestern/Butler should all be entertaining games. Providence will be rebuilding next year, although it looks like OSU is doing the same (with transfers to Austin Grandstaff, Daniel Giddens, Mickey Mitchell and A.J. Harris).

Too bad we couldn't also get Xavier/Ohio State and Butler/Purdue (or Indiana). Marquette/Wisconsin would've been nice, too.

Marquette/Wisconsin will still be played next year. That's not part of the Gavitt Games.
04-14-2016 01:07 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

Ohio State refuses to schedule XU, UC and UD OOC in basketball. Their AD admitted it is part of their scheduling strategy. The only way those games happen is NCAA tourney (with the exception of 2006 when OSU eagerly agreed to play UC after they fired Huggins and the whole team left the program).
04-14-2016 01:13 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Plus the 14th place team has history with 7 out of 10 of the Big East's schools. The matchups you won't see as part of the games are Rutgers-Seton Hall and Marquette-Wisconsin because they're annual matchups outside the games. In Rutgers-Seton Hall's case its a trophy rivalry.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 08:04 PM by brista21.)
04-14-2016 08:03 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(04-14-2016 08:03 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

Plus the 14th place team has history with 7 out of 10 of the Big East's schools. The matchups you won't see as part of the games are Rutgers-Seton Hall and Marquette-Wisconsin because they're annual matchups outside the games. In Rutgers-Seton Hall's case its a trophy rivalry.

Creighton vs Nebraska too. They play annually as well. I think this is a way they are getting the Georgetown/Maryland series. Both lost their old rivals to realignment so it would be best for both schools to make it an annual game again.
04-14-2016 09:28 PM
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
while not perfect, the games this year are better than last year imo. there looks to be more competitive games this year.
04-14-2016 09:28 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-14-2016 08:51 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Providence @ Ohio State
Wisconsin @ Creighton
Seton Hall @ Iowa
Rutgers @ DePaul
St. John's @ Minnesota
Maryland @ Georgetown
Villanova @ Purdue
Northwestern @ Butler

Have to say pretty underwhelming. Sounds like the Big Ten may have pushed to avoid a Wisconsin/Xavier rematch. I know Big East fans thought this was such a homer- but 2 years in and it is exactly what I thought it would be- a double.

I remember one year when Iowa met DePaul in the Quad Cities, Moline, Il for a neutral site game. Why can't an Iowa v DePaul hoops rivalry get going? Makes too much sense for both...
Cheers!
04-14-2016 10:08 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

last year had Georgetown/Maryland, Xavier/Michigan, Creighton/Indiana, Marquette/Iowa, Illinois/Providence, DePaul/Penn St, Rutgers/St John's, and Nebraska/Villanova.. It might be a bit better- but not really all that good. Part of it is Big East 2 teams that are very legit tourney teams not playing this year in Xavier and Marquette. The worst programs not sat out yet for the Big East.
04-14-2016 10:37 PM
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
(04-14-2016 01:13 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Ohio State refuses to schedule XU, UC and UD OOC in basketball. Their AD admitted it is part of their scheduling strategy. The only way those games happen is NCAA tourney (with the exception of 2006 when OSU eagerly agreed to play UC after they fired Huggins and the whole team left the program).

If you think OSU was eagerly trying to schedule UC that year, why was the game played in Indianapolis as part of the John Wooden Tradition games on CBS? Various regular and cable networks were trying to get the Buckeyes to play as many significant OOC opponents as they could because they knew that Greg Oden was going to be in college just one year.
04-15-2016 03:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.