Twitter @jpgroves
04-13-2016 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: NMSU talking to the Big Sky and one unnamed conference about realignment
I would guess that the other conference is the Summit League.

If the WAC loses NMSU, that's going to hurt them badly. And then there's the issue of Chicago State. This could be a big problem for the remaining teams.

My guess is that everyone would look even harder for the exits. What are the options for the remaining 6?

Grand Canyon - Big Sky and Summit (if the Summit takes NMSU) might be interested. I think Grand Canyon might have some problems with their for profit status. Although the Summit has Oral Roberts, so they might be willing to take GCU. For Grand Canyon, the disaster scenario is NMSU leaving for the Big Sky, and the Big Sky not taking GCU

Utah Valley - Probably looking at the Big Sky or bust

CSU-B - Big West or Big Sky.

UTRGV - Southland or bust.

UMKC - Summit, Southland are the likliest landing spots

Seattle - WCC, Big Sky, or possibly the Big West

---

The Big Sky has 12 teams. My guess is that NMSU goes to the Big Sky...they'll take one other team.

The Big West has 9 teams. Do they really want CSU-B? Do they want to expand the footprint to Seattle. Do they want GCU?

Will the Southland take UTRGV? They already have 13 members.

---

If NMSU bails on the WAC, that conference is in deep trouble. I suppose they could try to recruit moveups.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016 10:31 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-13-2016 10:29 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
The Big West doesn't want Cal State Bakersfield. It has rejected them multiple times since they moved up to D1 a decade ago. From the conference's perspective, they don't add anything valuable. Regarding NMSU, it won't surprise me if we all find out that is the other conference they are talking to. All things being equal, NMSU would prefer to align with other western schools.

GCU has location and they have money. Somebody will be interested.
04-13-2016 10:55 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-13-2016 10:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I would guess that the other conference is the Summit League.

If the WAC loses NMSU, that's going to hurt them badly. And then there's the issue of Chicago State.

I don't see how Chicago State can continue to subsidize D-I athletics, even if they manage to keep the university open for the next school year.

Sounds like NMSU is probably going to move to another all-sports conference whether or not they continue to play FBS football.

I doubt the Big Sky would even be interested in any of the WAC schools that don't play football, and probably would only invite NMSU on the condition that NMSU surrender and move down to FCS. Seattle, Bakersfield, and Utah Valley, at least, may not have any options if the WAC collapses.

Here's the quote from the NMSU president:

Quote:The challenges of Athletic Conference alignment for both our Olympic sports as well as football has inspired the Chair of the Regents Deborah Hicks to form an “Athletic Review Committee” to advise myself and the Regents on options. As you know, we have two more seasons in the FBS Sun Belt Conference and then we are without a home. The Western Athletic Conference is struggling to maintain viability and is having some difficulty adding membership to ensure stability. Some of us have been in conversation with the Big Sky Conference regarding membership, and we have been approached by at least one other conference to consider membership for our Olympic sports. If you have views you wish to express on the subject, send them to me at president@nmsu.edu. You need to be part of the conversation.
04-13-2016 11:00 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

What sounds better for NMSU fans:

Hawaii, Long Beach State, UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine - or North Dakota State and South Dakota State, IPFW and Western Illinois??
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016 11:23 PM by jdgaucho.)
04-13-2016 11:20 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-13-2016 11:20 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  What sounds better for NMSU fans:

Hawaii, Long Beach State, UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine - or North Dakota State and South Dakota State, IPFW and Western Illinois??

Would the Big West be interested in NMSU
04-13-2016 11:57 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

(04-13-2016 11:57 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-13-2016 11:20 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  What sounds better for NMSU fans:

Would the Big West be interested in NMSU

I believe it would be interested in them. NMSU is traditionally one of the stronger basketball programs out west and they were a former member. NMSU will strengthen any conference they can get into.
04-14-2016 12:46 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The other conference is most likely the Missouri Valley. The Summit doesn't offer anything more than the WAC. They are just as much as close to the edge as the WAC is. The Big Sky and Southland are really large now that even with NMSU both will still be 1 bid leagues and split the $$ with more schools than the WAC.
Really doubt the MW will take them.

Even if they the Regents was a quicker answer, I think the President should still with his 1 year timeline. That will give time to see if the Big 12 expands as see what will fall for NMSU. NMSU is at least in a much better position to survive as an Indy for while than Idaho.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 07:56 AM by MWC Tex.)
04-14-2016 07:06 AM
otis campbell Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Valpo, Miami O
I can't believe that UMKC hasn't returned to the Summit. It was a questionable move to begin with............
04-14-2016 09:23 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2016 09:23 AM)otis campbell Wrote:  I can't believe that UMKC hasn't returned to the Summit. It was a questionable move to begin with............

The WAC has been better for the UMKC student athletes because they are spending less time on the road than when they were in the Summit.
In addition, they are getting more exposure in the Western US than they would in the Summit. When they play in Phx, Seattle, Chicago, CA, SLC area and even S. Texas they are advertising their school in place they wouldn't be in the Summit league.
04-14-2016 09:31 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(04-14-2016 07:06 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The other conference is most likely the Missouri Valley. The Summit doesn't offer anything more than the WAC. They are just as much as close to the edge as the WAC is. The Big Sky and Southland are really large now that even with NMSU both will still be 1 bid leagues and split the $$ with more schools than the WAC.

Even if they the Regents was a quicker answer, I think the President should still with his 1 year timeline. That will give time to see if the Big 12 expands as see what will fall for NMSU. NMSU is at least in a much better position to survive as an Indy for while than Idaho.

The MVC is comfortable with their 10 team round robin format. I would be really surprised they would extend for NMSU, basketball reputation and all. The Big West has only 9 schools in it and if NMSU can provide travel money they'd probably get a space there.

That said definitely NMSU should wait before pulling the trigger in the event a spot in CUSA opens up. CUSA will have a difficult time convincing any SBC schools to move with exit fees so high thus left to consider NMSU.
04-14-2016 10:08 AM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-14-2016 10:08 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 07:06 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The other conference is most likely the Missouri Valley. The Summit doesn't offer anything more than the WAC. They are just as much as close to the edge as the WAC is. The Big Sky and Southland are really large now that even with NMSU both will still be 1 bid leagues and split the $$ with more schools than the WAC.

The MVC is comfortable with their 10 team round robin format. I would be really surprised they would extend for NMSU, basketball reputation and all. The Big West has only 9 schools in it and if NMSU can provide travel money they'd probably get a space there.

That said definitely NMSU should wait before pulling the trigger in the event a spot in CUSA opens up. CUSA will have a difficult time convincing any SBC schools to move with exit fees so high thus left to consider NMSU.

I think if C-USA really wants a SBC team over NMSU, they can scrounge up 2 millions dollars.
04-14-2016 10:25 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2016 10:25 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 10:08 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

I think if C-USA really wants a SBC team over NMSU, they can scrounge up 2 millions dollars.

Depends on what the TV revs will be. It may not be worth it now as it was before.
04-14-2016 10:46 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
NMSU talking to the Big Sky and one unnamed conference about realignment
Honestly if the Big Sky is willing to go to 14, it might be time to tell Chicago State to make other arrangements, and then reorganize the WAC and Big Sky as FCS conferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-14-2016 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
It might be some signs that new FBS conferences could be created. Remember, New Mexico State was a former MVC school, and their opponents at the time that are still there are Southern Illinois, Indiana State, Illinois State and Wichita State. Wichita State is interested in restarting football and go FBS. Someone keep coming up that a new conference can be created if 7 members played 7 years together. Nobody mentioned when those years could be. You have 5 there. They could ask West Texas A&M to rejoin D1 since they want to build their on campus stadium to expand to 22,000. That would be 6. They could ask North Texas to leave C-USA to join as the 7th members of the old MVC schools that played 7 years together. By the time they transition, the ban on new bowl games could be lifted. New Mexico State and North Texas could get waivers to play in bowl games, but I doubt they will be going to a bowl in anytime soon.

Northern Iowa hinted that they want FBS. They are number 8. Add Missouri State which makes it 10. Western Illinois, North Dakota State, South Dakota and South Dakota State could make 13 for an all sports conference.

C-USA could shed Old Dominion for them to help U. Mass. form a new east coast FBS conference with CAA, Eastern Kentucky and Youngstown State for a 12 team conference.
04-14-2016 02:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(04-14-2016 11:22 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  Honestly if the Big Sky is willing to go to 14, it might be time to tell Chicago State to make other arrangements, and then reorganize the WAC and Big Sky as FCS conferences.

UVU has made noise about starting football in the past. From DII, Dixie St and Azusa Pacific have DI aspirations. A desert southwest FCS conference is feasible soon.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 04:19 PM by NoDak.)
04-14-2016 04:18 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(04-14-2016 04:18 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 11:22 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  Honestly if the Big Sky is willing to go to 14, it might be time to tell Chicago State to make other arrangements, and then reorganize the WAC and Big Sky as FCS conferences.

UVU has made noise about starting football in the past. From DII, Dixie St and Azusa Pacific have DI aspirations. A desert southwest FCS conference is feasible soon.

Grand Canyon U., Long Beach State, Cal.-San Diego and East Bay State also shows signs of adding football as well. Plus you got Humboldt State and Western New Mexico in the area, and Colorado Mesa might also be aspiring to join D1 as well.
04-14-2016 04:32 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(04-14-2016 04:32 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 04:18 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

Grand Canyon U., Long Beach State, Cal.-San Diego and East Bay State also shows signs of adding football as well. Plus you got Humboldt State and Western New Mexico in the area, and Colorado Mesa might also be aspiring to join D1 as well.

The only ones that are even semi-credible are GCU and Colorado Mesa. Football is a major expense and only schools with access to a large stream of excess cash can go FCS.
04-14-2016 04:49 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(04-14-2016 02:57 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  C-USA could shed Old Dominion for them to help U. Mass. form a new east coast FBS conference with CAA, Eastern Kentucky and Youngstown State for a 12 team conference.

I doubt ODU or UMass want anything to do with the CAA now. Keep in mind that the most "FBS-ready" schools in the CAA are Just Monitoring U. and Dela-ain't goin' any-ware.
04-14-2016 05:57 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(04-14-2016 05:57 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 02:57 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  C-USA could shed Old Dominion for them to help U. Mass. form a new east coast FBS conference with CAA, Eastern Kentucky and Youngstown State for a 12 team conference.

I doubt ODU or UMass want anything to do with the CAA now. Keep in mind that the most "FBS-ready" schools in the CAA are Just Monitoring U. and Dela-ain't goin' any-ware.

It's DavidSt. He thinks Towson, New Hampshire and Maine are trying to go FBS and that VCU is starting football.
04-14-2016 06:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.