NBR: More on Paypal money to Mason from UA
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
NBR: More on Paypal money to Mason from UA
http://www.alreporter.com/more-money-for...ics-forms/

The nut paragraph for me:

UA records show the use of the online payment system for $148,837.14 for all vendors from January through March 2016. Payments to JRM represent over half of the total amount that the University spent the first quarter of this year; some 336 PayPal transactions.

PayPal payments do not show up on a search for JRM Enterprises in the University’s system. Only a search on “PayPal” brings up a results list including payments to PAYPAL JRMENTERPRI.

This answers the question "Why was UA paying Mason by Paypal?". Someone was trying to slide it through in a way that wouldn't show up in a search of the online payment system.

In fact, it might be worth looking at in the closing of football, if we knew what accounts to look for. That might be how some people got paid in a way that wouldn't show up in the UA finance search system.
04-13-2016 10:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
RE: NBR: More on Paypal money to Mason from UA
Unbelievable. I would still like to know where Paul Bryant Junior stands in this mess. The fire is getting hotter.
04-13-2016 11:17 AM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
A guy like PBJ doesn't do the dirty work.
04-13-2016 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

As much as I hate UA this is just a misunderstanding of Paypal and how it works.

It looks like the company UA was paying used PayPal, not UA. The company name is in the payment (see where it says Paypal jrmenterpri)

That's what it looks like when you use paypal as your payment processor. UA's story that they used a payment card, and JRM used paypal holds up and makes sense.

Now...why were the payments happening in the first place is still a valid question, but I would find it very hard to believe that they used this to try to hide the payments in the first place.
04-13-2016 11:46 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Right under the original post on my screen is an ad for "Paypal: Faster, Easier Payment Processing."

While that is how card payments processed through paypal show up, I don't see a UAT explanation anywhere in that story. What I would like to know at this point - and the record may show it if you know how to look (Britt's story doesn't say) - is what person at UAT was issued the card used for these payments. On our system at the day job (a much smaller operation) each individual cardholder is named by name and card number.

And it does most definitely look like an attempt to hide payments. If they were made by someone not really up on modern payment tech, say a 70-year-old dog murderer or someone acting on that person's direction, they may not have realized how much data would be captured when the card was used.
04-13-2016 12:17 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(04-13-2016 11:38 AM)UABslant Wrote:  A guy like PBJ doesn't do the dirty work.

But a) the folks doing said dirty work have to get paid somehow, and b) we know first-hand how sloppy they became after decades of unchallenged privilege.

Using the card instead of a direct paypal transfer may ultimately turn out way worse for the Trustees.
04-13-2016 12:33 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(04-13-2016 12:33 PM)58-56 Wrote:  ...we know first-hand how sloppy they became after decades of unchallenged privilege.

While the Mason thing is recent, anything related to UAB football was shut down and resurrected would be before such transactions came under scrutiny. I'm wondering if there are payments that are UAB related that happened before they knew how many eyes would be looking for them that we missed the first time around because we were not looking for Paypal.

There just might be a smoking gun sitting in a file cabinet that we missed the first time around.
04-13-2016 12:54 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-13-2016 12:17 PM)58-56 Wrote:  Right under the original post on my screen is an ad for "Paypal: Faster, Easier Payment Processing."

While that is how card payments processed through paypal show up, I don't see a UAT explanation anywhere in that story. What I would like to know at this point - and the record may show it if you know how to look (Britt's story doesn't say) - is what person at UAT was issued the card used for these payments. On our system at the day job (a much smaller operation) each individual cardholder is named by name and card number.

And it does most definitely look like an attempt to hide payments. If they were made by someone not really up on modern payment tech, say a 70-year-old dog murderer or someone acting on that person's direction, they may not have realized how much data would be captured when the card was used.

The explanation was in an earlier al.com article. They specifically said they used a "payment card" which is a special Visa card, with a Visa card number, but is charged against a PO instead of a credit account.

It's not really all that unusual a way of handling things and can easily be traced back to the person who was responsible for the card. Tons of universities handle purchasing this way, and while they don't at UAB, the faculty have been clamoring for it and I expect it to happen eventually.

And again, as for the "Paypal" angle of it, UA probably had no idea that paypal would be involved and it's not really germane, other than it obfuscates the end payee slightly.
04-13-2016 12:58 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(04-13-2016 12:54 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(04-13-2016 12:33 PM)58-56 Wrote:  ...we know first-hand how sloppy they became after decades of unchallenged privilege.

While the Mason thing is recent, anything related to UAB football was shut down and resurrected would be before such transactions came under scrutiny. I'm wondering if there are payments that are UAB related that happened before they knew how many eyes would be looking for them that we missed the first time around because we were not looking for Paypal.

There just might be a smoking gun sitting in a file cabinet that we missed the first time around.

It's a paypal transaction because that's how Jon Mason processed it - since he apparently had no other clients for his "company," he wouldn't have had an account with a traditional processor.

What would be interesting to dig into from the Blazer-Related angle would be, first, who holds the card that paid Mason and next, who else has been paid with that card? Particularly in the summer and fall of 2014.

What little evidence has been shown so far makes me suspect that someone got complacent and carelessly used UAT money as a slush fund without washing it a few times first. Surely someone's furiously creating back-dated purchase orders for "consulting work" even as I type this.
04-13-2016 01:53 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(04-13-2016 01:53 PM)58-56 Wrote:  
(04-13-2016 12:54 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  

It's a paypal transaction because that's how Jon Mason processed it - since he apparently had no other clients for his "company," he wouldn't have had an account with a traditional processor.

What would be interesting to dig into from the Blazer-Related angle would be, first, who holds the card that paid Mason and next, who else has been paid with that card? Particularly in the summer and fall of 2014.

What little evidence has been shown so far makes me suspect that someone got complacent and carelessly used UAT money as a slush fund without washing it a few times first. Surely someone's furiously creating back-dated purchase orders for "consulting work" even as I type this.

If you started weaving all the players together, you'd need a gymnasium wall and more yarn than Hancock Fabrics has.
04-13-2016 02:19 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Might want to see how that firm that was hired to dismantle football in an orderly way was paid.

The firm that starts with a V I believe.
04-13-2016 02:20 PM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(04-13-2016 02:20 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Might want to see how that firm that was hired to dismantle football in an orderly way was paid.

The firm that starts with a V I believe.

Sard Verbinnen? The NY crises firm?
04-13-2016 02:49 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Yep.
04-13-2016 02:55 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I remember that there was a payment/payments to them in the regular expenses files. I'm wondering what names and firms might pop up in the theoretically secret records.
04-13-2016 04:08 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

IIRC Sard Verbinnen was paid by the UAB Educational Foundation, which is a private entity and not subject to the disclosure rules
04-13-2016 05:09 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(04-13-2016 04:08 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I remember that there was a payment/payments to them in the regular expenses files. I'm wondering what names and firms might pop up in the theoretically secret records.

Yes, those payments are included in the $10 million estimate of what Ray Watts' football-related blundering cost UAB.
04-13-2016 05:13 PM
Advertisement

nicknitro19 Offline
Special Teams

I think the Governor needs Sard Verbinnen right about now....
04-13-2016 06:00 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

After marital fight, Gov. Robert Bentley had law enforcement fetch wallet with state helicopter
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/04...river_home

From Tuscaloosa to Gulf Shores...
04-13-2016 06:49 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

This one must have slipped through the cracks.

Bentley allows private meetings for Trustees. Bill being proposed to extend it to all 4 year schools.

http://www.annistonstar.com/columnists/g...5dbf9.html
04-13-2016 07:48 PM
imjustafatkid Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama/UAB/UNA
(04-13-2016 07:48 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  This one must have slipped through the cracks.

Bentley allows private meetings for Trustees. Bill being proposed to extend it to all 4 year schools.

http://www.annistonstar.com/columnists/g...5dbf9.html

That article says it allows for private meetings to discuss potential hires. Personally, I think it's only fair to the candidate for them not to discuss their hiring in public. Anything said could haunt that candidate for years in future job searches. It could also damage someone's reputation if they haven't discussed the position with their current employer and then don't get the job. I fully support making job candidate discussions private. I'm surprised anyone would oppose that legislation.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 02:54 PM by imjustafatkid.)
04-14-2016 02:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.