Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Pat Forde at Yahoo Rips the Pastner Hire
Bookmark and Share
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
I know what some of you will say. Get over it, let it go, it's piling on. And you would be right. But it just feels so damn good to be rid of him and that contract.

Forde can write. And it is nice to see national columnists not call Tiger fans delusional or having unrealistic expectations.

"And then there is the temporary insanity that seems to have gripped the Atlantic Coast Conference – specifically Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh. The hires there, made by a pair of respected athletic directors, boggle the mind.

Mike Bobinski at Georgia Tech fired Brian Gregory and replaced him with Josh P-P-P-Pastner. Let’s just say that Memphis fans were happier to see Pastner go than Tech fans were to see him arrive – the only thing keeping him employed was a bloated buyout, part of a silly 2013 raise that gave him a salary of $2.65 million a year. Bobinski hired a guy whose well-appointed program over the past two years had not performed as well as the guy he just fired.
. . .
So there you go, Tech and Pitt fans. Those are the guys who are going to slug it out in the toughest coaching conference in the country, competing nose-to-nose with Mike Kryzyzewski, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Jim Boeheim, Mike Brey and Jim Larranaga.

Buy your season tickets today!

"I mean, look, it's not going to happen overnight," Pastner said upon his introduction at Tech. "We're going to have to take a step back to take two steps forward."

Pastner’s last step forward was three years ago, when his 31-win Memphis team earned a No. 6 NCAA tournament seed. The Tigers were routed in the second round by Michigan State and have disappointed ever since.

After dwarfing Conference USA, Memphis and Pastner failed to do the same in the American Athletic Conference – or to even come close. Pastner had every advantage at Memphis – a great arena, a practice facility, a passionate fan base, a ton of tradition and a brand that sold well in recruiting.

He did little with it. The Tigers finished in a three-way tie for third in the league their first year, and were the fifth-best AAC team according to Ken Pomeroy’s rankings. After that it was downhill: tied for fifth in 2015 and missed the NCAA tourney; an abysmal seventh in 2016 and never even merited serious tourney consideration.

Memphis’ final Pomeroy Rating in 2015: 92. Georgia Tech’s, under Gregory: 83. The Tigers’ 10-8 league mark included losses to Tulane and East Carolina.

Memphis’ final Pomeroy Rating in 2016: 72. Georgia Tech’s, under Gregory: 49.

During those two seasons, the Tigers lost to East Carolina twice, Tulane twice and South Florida once. Those are five losses to teams that likely would pull a Boston College and go winless in the ACC.

Pastner’s allure, such as it is, comes from his recruiting ability. Gregory had nine players from talent-rich Georgia on his final Tech roster – but not the right nine. The first challenge for Pastner will be to keep the best players at home. The second (and bigger) challenge will be to actually coach them up to a level where he can beat some of the biggest names in the sport."
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 11:20 AM by Tigx.)
04-12-2016 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
RE: Pat Forde at Yahoo Rips the Pastner Hire
NTR
04-12-2016 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Eviscerated
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
(04-12-2016 11:18 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  NTR

Wonderfully true.
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
That is not our problem now! Sorry GT, but not really... 02-13-banana02-13-banana
04-12-2016 11:19 AM
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
God bless GT's AD!
04-12-2016 11:34 AM
tigerscribe Offline
2nd String

I still can't believe they hired him. Josh must have much better communication skills one-on-one than he does in the media.

He's hired the very experienced Bobby Lutz. I wonder if that move was forced upon him or if he learned a lesson.
04-12-2016 11:36 AM
tigersgrizzfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: tigersgrizz
03-nutkick
04-12-2016 11:41 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
WHO?
04-12-2016 11:50 AM
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(04-12-2016 11:50 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  WHO?

Feels great to be able to say that.
04-12-2016 11:52 AM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
(04-12-2016 11:36 AM)tigerscribe Wrote:  I still can't believe they hired him. Josh must have much better communication skills one-on-one than he does in the media.

He's hired the very experienced Bobby Lutz. I wonder if that move was forced upon him or if he learned a lesson.

If he had done that here 3 years ago, he would probably still be here. Lutz knows what he's doing.
04-12-2016 11:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Pastner was pitifully incompetent. Tech fans will see just how bad a hire he was in about 6-7 months.
04-12-2016 12:06 PM
hongkongtiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: tigers
(04-12-2016 11:34 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  God bless GT's AD!

Wonder if he and Pastner have the same agent?05-stirthepot05-stirthepot02-13-banana
04-12-2016 12:06 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Mi don't want to hear bout him mon. Its too soon mon. Horrible tings cumfloating bak to fi mi mind. Hes gaan mon.

Dats aal wi need... Aal wi need to remem.
04-12-2016 12:18 PM
Guitarman Online
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Pope
04-12-2016 12:30 PM
carrollcountypig Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sivad
(04-12-2016 11:36 AM)tigerscribe Wrote:  I still can't believe they hired him. Josh must have much better communication skills one-on-one than he does in the media.

Probably a little of both.
04-12-2016 01:59 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
Wonder what his buyout is at GT. Their AD hasn't got a clue what he is in for. Maybe they can absorb the hit being that they are playing with the big boys. Pastner probably feels 100 percent better at GT but their program is about to bottom out once they realize Pastner can't coach a lick. He is like a Tiger with no claws or teeth and a Yellowjacket that lost his stinger.
04-12-2016 07:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.