Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ranking the Top SBC Non Conference Games of '16
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Ranking the Top SBC Non Conference Games of '16
Thought this would make a pretty good off season dicussion-here are the 'Belt Mates OOC schedules below...pick and rank your top 10 games!

App:
@Tenn
ODU
Miami
@Akron

Astate:
Toledo
@Auburn
@Utah St
UCA

Ga Southern
Savannah St
@W Michigan
@GT
@Ole Miss

Ga State
Ball St
@Air Force
@Wisconsin
UTM

Idaho
Montana St
@Washington
@Wazzu
@UNLV

La La
Boise St
Mcneese St
@Tulane
@Georiga

ULM
Southern
@Oklahoma
@Auburn
@New Mexico

NMSU
@Utep
New Mexico
@Kentucky
@Texas A&M

South Al:
@Miss St
Nichols St
San Diego St
@LSU

Texas St
@Ohio
@Arkansas
Houston
Incarnate Word

Troy
Austin Peay
@Clemson
@Southern Miss
UMass
04-11-2016 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
RE: Ranking the Top SBC Non Conference Games of '16
Most important are the following in no certain order
App vs ODU
App vs Akron
State vs Toledo
State vs Utah State
GS vs WMU
GSU vs Ball State
GSU vs Air Force
ULL vs Boise St
ULL vs Tulane
ULM vs New Mexico
USA vs SDSU
Texas St vs Ohio
Troy vs USM
Troy vs UMass
04-11-2016 03:44 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Top 10 G5 Match Ups in no order:
App v ODU (CUSA)
StAte v Toledo (MAC)
StAte v Utah State (MWC)
GS v WMU (MAC)
Ga State v Air Force (MWC)
UL v Boise State (MWC)
UL v Tulane (AAC)
USA v SDSU (MWC)
TXST v Houston (AAC)
Troy v So Miss (CUSA)

Prediction for these games: 2-0 against CUSA, 1-1 against MAC, 1-3 against MWC, 0-2 against AAC

Everyone's most important P5 match up:
App v Miami
StAte v Auburn
GS v GT
Ga State v Wisconsin
Idaho v Washington
UL v UGA
ULM v Oklahoma
NMSU v Texas A&M
USA v LSU
TXST v Arkansas
Troy v Clemson
04-11-2016 05:23 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-11-2016 05:23 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Top 10 G5 Match Ups in no order:
App v ODU (CUSA)
StAte v Toledo (MAC)
StAte v Utah State (MWC)
GS v WMU (MAC)
Ga State v Air Force (MWC)
UL v Boise State (MWC)
UL v Tulane (AAC)
USA v SDSU (MWC)
TXST v Houston (AAC)
Troy v So Miss (CUSA)

Prediction for these games: 2-0 against CUSA, 1-1 against MAC, 1-3 against MWC, 0-2 against AAC

Everyone's most important P5 match up:
App v Miami
StAte v Auburn
GS v GT
Ga State v Wisconsin
Idaho v Washington
UL v UGA
ULM v Oklahoma
NMSU v Texas A&M
USA v LSU
TXST v Arkansas
Troy v Clemson

I would say USA's most important P5 matchup is against a Dak Prescott-less Mississippi State in game one to open the season... Moreso than going to Death Valley against a team expected to compete for the SEC/national championship.
04-11-2016 05:30 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Bold - game I'd want to attend most
Underlined - probably the best/closest game

App:
@Tenn
ODU
Miami
@Akron

Astate:
Toledo
@Auburn
@Utah St
UCA

Ga Southern
Savannah St
@W Michigan
@GT
@Ole Miss

Ga State
Ball St
@Air Force
@Wisconsin
UTM

Idaho
Montana St
@Washington
@Wazzu
@UNLV

La La
Boise St
Mcneese St
@Tulane
@Georiga

ULM
Southern
@Oklahoma
@Auburn
@New Mexico

NMSU
@Utep
New Mexico
@Kentucky
@Texas A&M

South Al:
@Miss St
Nichols St
San Diego St
@LSU

Texas St
@Ohio
@Arkansas
Houston
Incarnate Word

Troy
Austin Peay
@Clemson
@Southern Miss
UMass

Top Five G5 Games
1. Astate v. Toledo
2. Troy @ SMiss
3. App @ Arkon
4. ULL @ Tulane
5. GS @ WMU
04-11-2016 05:36 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2016 05:30 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  I would say USA's most important P5 matchup is against a Dak Prescott-less Mississippi State in game one to open the season... Moreso than going to Death Valley against a team expected to compete for the SEC/national championship.

I picked match-ups not based on which opponent would be easier to beat, but which opponent would give each team the largest media-firestorm and uptick in the rankings if beaten. In that case, beating an SEC championship-capable team would be a lot better than beating an SEC team in an expected down year. Either win would be great though!
04-11-2016 05:37 PM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
P5 -App -Miami
G5 - StAte - Utah State
FCS - Idaho -Montana State
04-11-2016 05:39 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Some of the OOC games that intrigue me (also in no particular order)

Miami @ App State: The Mountaineers will be hosting their first P5 opponent in Boone and this will be the first Sunbelt team that the Hurricanes have ever traveled to

Boise State @ La La: Very curios to see how Cajun nation will represent against former stAte coach Harsin and the G5 darlings that is the Broncos

New Mexico @ NMSU: Rio Grande Rivalry has always been a fun instate rivalry to watch

San Diego State @ South Al: I would say one of the marquee wins of the programs young history, looking forward to this rematch in Mobile

Toledo @ Arkansas St: The Rockets have REALLY gotten the better of the Red Wolves last two outings; as the old saying goes "third time is the charm"...maybe.

Troy @ Southern Miss: Especially considering half of the CUSA is former Belters, games against the CUSA teams is becoming few and far and between; what's also far and between is Belt Members scoring a 'W' against the Golden Eagles (Texas State has been the only current Belt member to win against USM back in '13 but dropped the return game last season)

Houston @ Texas State: The game against the Cougars didn't really go the way Bobcats wanted it to, but with a new head coach in charge and hosting Houston in San Marcos here's hoping Texas State can score against the seemingly new darlings of the Group of 5.

Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech: Eagles almost got the 'Jackets two years ago and get another chance this season; it'll be interesting to see if Southern can give Tech a run for their money with a new head coach

Georgia State: UTM. Can the Panthers stop their slide against FCS teams at home? Their 1-4 since moving up FBS (Barely beating Abilene Christian in 2014)
04-11-2016 08:12 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
For me

SDSU at USA. South has pulled off a FBS OOC road win in the last three seasons. But they've fallen short in big OOC games at home. I'd like to see if USA can get it done at home against a team that might roll into Mobile riding a 13 game win streak and a national ranking.

Miami at App. Easily the biggest game in a decade for the Mountaineers. And they could win it too.

Boise State at ULL. ULL hasn't had a lot of umph recently, especially in regular season OOC games. It'd be nice to see them catch up to the closest thing the G5 has to a 'name team'. And Boise stumbled a bit last year. This might be doable.

Toledo at stAte. stAte caught no breaks last year in OOC. And then cr*pped the bed in the bowl game. They're better than their OOC record. Looking to see them get it done at home.

Ga Southern at Ga Tech. Ga Southern doesn't get 'good' OOC FBS games. So they'll just have to stop whining and just get it done on the road. Win this game, and you might get some better teams to agree to come down to Statesboro

Ball State at Ga State. Ga State supposedly loses a lot this year. But we've seen teams reload. Beating Ball State would help things.

Idaho at Wash State. Idaho might not get another shot at them. And since the Vandals don't have a FBS OOC game, this game is as close as they'll come to it.

ULM at New Mexico. Another team with no OOC FBS home games. This seems like the best shot for them OOC.

New Mexico at NMSU. This might be the last chance for the Aggies to host their in state rival.

Houston at Texas State. If the new coach wants to make a statement to the fans in San Marcos, this would be an ideal time to do so.

Troy at USM. Not the most compelling OOC schedule for the Trojans. A FCS team and a home game with UMass that they won't make much noise with even if they win. And a game at Clemson. Which leaves us with this regional matchup with a CUSA team. Win it against an improving USM and they'll make a statement for themselves and the conference.
04-11-2016 10:23 PM
T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
(04-11-2016 08:12 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Miami @ App State: The Mountaineers will be hosting their first P5 opponent in Boone and this will be the first Sunbelt team that the Hurricanes have ever traveled to

How did they manage to get Miami to play at their place? (same with Ark St in 2017 and Toledo in 2018)...?

Are they (Miami) looking for "easy wins"?
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 05:30 PM by T2003.)
04-17-2016 05:27 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(04-17-2016 05:27 PM)T2003 Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 08:12 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Miami @ App State: The Mountaineers will be hosting their first P5 opponent in Boone and this will be the first Sunbelt team that the Hurricanes have ever traveled to

How did they manage to get Miami to play at their place? (same with Ark St in 2017 and Toledo in 2018)...?

Someone cancelled on Miami so they needed to fill a spot in their schedule and App was one of the only options which meant that they had all the leverage when negotiating.

Basically the game just fell in their lap
04-17-2016 05:32 PM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I was unaware that Tom kleinlein posted here. Welcome aboard, I will warn you that the general population here is smarter than your fanbase, cool story though.
04-17-2016 08:17 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-17-2016 05:27 PM)T2003 Wrote:  

They need strong G5 opponents for SOS, and don't have the ability to pay the 7 figure guarantees plus that most of those schools would require. They also played at FAU last year.
04-17-2016 08:34 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
Idaho has 3 good regional games this year, but I'm most interested in the other game -- at UNLV. If we win that one, it's likely to be a really good season.

I'm always intrigued when a P5 comes to G5 turf, so Miami @ App will be interesting.

And of course I'm going to be pulling hard for the Cajuns to win their opener against Boise.

And what the hell, I'll put Idaho @ Wazzu on here. I don't think we're ready to take them down yet, but if our administration decides Big Sky next month and I have to withhold my money then this is the only Idaho game I'll see live. So it's here by default.
04-18-2016 01:27 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(04-17-2016 08:17 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  I was unaware that Tom kleinlein posted here. Welcome aboard, I will warn you that the general population here is smarter than your fanbase, cool story though.

So you don't think there was a lot of luck involved in getting Miami?
04-18-2016 07:21 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

There is luck in many things in life. It's uncanny how often successful people are lucky.

In fact App is experiencing quite a bit of luck as they continue to put together great OOC schedules.
04-18-2016 07:43 AM
Advertisement

kb325 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
LUCK is an acronym meaning Laboring Under Correct Knowledge...yes good things come to programs. But really, the Miami get was a bit "lucky" in the truest sense of the word. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's a really good get...enjoy! And you're getting them at home in the perfect situation...new HC...early season...the program being further down then any time in the last 30 years...I wish stAte had them at home this year rather than next.
04-18-2016 09:02 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(04-18-2016 09:02 AM)kb325 Wrote:  LUCK is an acronym meaning Laboring Under Correct Knowledge...yes good things come to programs. But really, the Miami get was a bit "lucky" in the truest sense of the word. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's a really good get...enjoy! And you're getting them at home in the perfect situation...new HC...early season...the program being further down then any time in the last 30 years...I wish stAte had them at home this year rather than next.

Exactly. I think Saint took exception to the term "fell into their lap," meaning they didn't have to work to get it. The situation that opened up the opportunity fell in their lap, and their AD used leverage against Miami to get the game. Good job to get it, but let's not confuse it with getting the game without some background circumstances making it happen.

Unlike the Wake series, which was all App's admin making it happen. That's another good get.
04-18-2016 10:05 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Every school has opportunities to move games around each year, App put it's name out there and executed a plan to secure the game. Kudos to our leadership.

It sounded like a BS line a GS fan heard from their administration as yet another excuse why they they lag behind in signing home and homes. It sucks to be in their position, luckily the majority of GS fans seem to understand the process better than the first poster on this topic.
04-18-2016 10:24 AM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-18-2016 07:43 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  There is luck in many things in life. It's uncanny how often successful people are lucky.

In fact App is experiencing quite a bit of luck as they continue to put together great OOC schedules.

A couple of years ago Tiger Woods hit a chip shot out of the water, uphill onto the green and straight into the hole for an incredible birdy shot and an eventual tournament win. Afterwards, a reporter asked him if he was willing to admit it was a lucky shot and he said without hesitation, "Of COURSE it was a lucky shot! I've never won a tournament in my life without some luck going my way."

We make our own luck in the long-term - good or bad.
04-18-2016 12:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.