Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

satellite camps
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
satellite camps
Anyone know why the AAC voted for satellite camps?

NCAA bans satellite camps effective immediately

@McMurphyESPN

Source told @ESPN conferences that voted against satellite camps: ACC, Big 12, SEC, Pac-12, MWC, Sun Belt. In favor: B1G, AAC, C-USA, MAC
1:44 PM - 8 Apr 2016
04-09-2016 07:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
RE: satellite camps
Because we did them in Pittsburgh.
04-09-2016 10:58 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(04-09-2016 07:07 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  Anyone know why the AAC voted for satellite camps?

@McMurphyESPN

Source told @ESPN conferences that voted against satellite camps: ACC, Big 12, SEC, Pac-12, MWC, Sun Belt. In favor: B1G, AAC, C-USA, MAC

Certain school(s) were hoping to pick up leftovers from not good enoughs at camps at their schools.
04-09-2016 11:25 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(04-09-2016 07:07 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  Anyone know why the AAC voted for satellite camps?

@McMurphyESPN

USF Head Coach Willie Taggart was obviously for it as he hosted Harbaugh's staff last year and were scheduled to have Harbaugh back again this summer.
04-10-2016 11:39 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I would think satellite camps benefit those schools NOT located in a particularly strong recruiting area the most. The ban, therefore, should most benefit schools that ARE located in good recruiting areas. Frankly, I doubt it makes much difference either way---but its kinda odd that most of our schools are IN good recruiting areas and we still voted for the camps to be allowed.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 12:15 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-10-2016 12:14 PM
Bulls Nation Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USF
(04-10-2016 12:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I would think satellite camps benefit those schools NOT located in a particularly strong recruiting area the most. The ban, therefore, should most benefit schools that ARE located in good recruiting areas. Frankly, I doubt it makes much difference either way---but its kinda odd that most of our schools are IN good recruiting areas and we still voted for the camps to be allowed.

The reason because they can recruit the area harder. For example USF does camps in miami, ft myers, and Jacksonville. Those are great areas to recruit and give USF a bigger reach than just tampa and coaches that recruit city by city. The kids literally come to you.
04-10-2016 05:47 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(04-10-2016 05:47 PM)Bulls Nation Wrote:  
(04-10-2016 12:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I would think satellite camps benefit those schools NOT located in a particularly strong recruiting area the most. The ban, therefore, should most benefit schools that ARE located in good recruiting areas. Frankly, I doubt it makes much difference either way---but its kinda odd that most of our schools are IN good recruiting areas and we still voted for the camps to be allowed.

The reason because they can recruit the area harder. For example USF does camps in miami, ft myers, and Jacksonville. Those are great areas to recruit and give USF a bigger reach than just tampa and coaches that recruit city by city. The kids literally come to you.

Im sure thats true. But with their geography, I'd bet USF can still do a pretty effective job of recruiting nearby cities like that. The real advantage is for a school like Maryland to do a camp in Florida. They can literally see, talk to, and evaluate hundreds of kids in a single day. The biggest advantage in these camps is they attract kids that cant afford to travel for unofficial visits and are under recruited for some reason. These kind of under recruited kids are the exact same under the radar kids that local schools have the best advantage of quietly snapping up. These camps take away some of that "home field" advantage IMHO.

That said, I don't think it makes that much difference one way or another---but Im more inclined to think that it works against schools in good recruiting areas more than it would help those same schools. So in your example, USF likely would have the kind of recruiting network already in place to uncover these under recruited diamonds than a school that's located in say Ohio or Indiana (for example). Your guys are probably visiting and talking to their contacts in those nearby cities much more often than recruiters located much farther away. I suspect that's why the SEC doesn't want them---they know they have the best overall recruiting area and they don't want to make it easier for schools outside of their areas to come in and recruit.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2016 07:09 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-10-2016 07:02 PM
TOPPERSonTOP Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU TOPS
(04-10-2016 07:02 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Im sure thats true. But with their geography, I'd bet USF can still do a pretty effective job of recruiting nearby cities like that. The real advantage is for a school like Maryland to do a camp in Florida. They can literally see, talk to, and evaluate hundreds of kids in a single day. The biggest advantage in these camps is they attract kids that cant afford to travel for unofficial visits and are under recruited for some reason. These kind of under recruited kids are the exact same under the radar kids that local schools have the best advantage of quietly snapping up. These camps take away some of that "home field" advantage IMHO.

That said, I don't think it makes that much difference one way or another---but Im more inclined to think that it works against schools in good recruiting areas more than it would help those same schools. So in your example, USF likely would have the kind of recruiting network already in place to uncover these under recruited diamonds than a school that's located in say Ohio or Indiana (for example). Your guys are probably visiting and talking to their contacts in those nearby cities much more often than recruiters located much farther away. I suspect that's why the SEC doesn't want them---they know they have the best overall recruiting area and they don't want to make it easier for schools outside of their areas to come in and recruit.

You cannot just go recruit in FL. You have to have co-hosted with a school. That usually means a personal connection, or some incentive (home games). See Penn St with GA State and USF as mentioned. The real benefit was for all the camps in your area. You could only hold camps in your state and adjoining states. So USF could go all over FL and even into Georgia and Alabama for some linemen.

WKU held camps all over the state and a few in TN. The BIG needed to use their partner camps and several getting into Ohio. The other conferences are full of secondary schools in their state. They needed to get out more and get in front of more players. The SBC probably can't afford to do camps.
04-11-2016 12:22 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(04-11-2016 12:22 AM)TOPPERSonTOP Wrote:  

You cannot just go recruit in FL. You have to have co-hosted with a school. That usually means a personal connection, or some incentive (home games). See Penn St with GA State and USF as mentioned. The real benefit was for all the camps in your area. You could only hold camps in your state and adjoining states. So USF could go all over FL and even into Georgia and Alabama for some linemen.

WKU held camps all over the state and a few in TN. The BIG needed to use their partner camps and several getting into Ohio. The other conferences are full of secondary schools in their state. They needed to get out more and get in front of more players. The SBC probably can't afford to do camps.
You seriously believe that? TXST routinely has 4/5 off campus camps. No, they don't go out of state but still had them. There were already 4 camps set up for the summer in DFW, Houston(2) and East Texas (location not specified) and TXST was not the only SBC school with these camps.
Why the SBC voted to kill them is a real head scratcher. We've already had more than a few coaches ready to go in and help get it changed to allow in state camps (only.)
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 03:08 AM by CatMom.)
04-12-2016 03:07 AM
TOPPERSonTOP Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU TOPS
(04-12-2016 03:07 AM)CatMom Wrote:  

You seriously believe that? TXST routinely has 4/5 off campus camps. No, they don't go out of state but still had them. There were already 4 camps set up for the summer in DFW, Houston(2) and East Texas (location not specified) and TXST was not the only SBC school with these camps.
Why the SBC voted to kill them is a real head scratcher. We've already had more than a few coaches ready to go in and help get it changed to allow in state camps (only.)

"Most" of the suck belch can't afford it.
04-12-2016 09:52 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
satellite camps

@McMurphyESPN

Surprised MWC was against it since Boise used it at the very least. If the G5 had stayed together it would've stayed like it was and the SEC would've have to learn how to use it.

I think a modified version (maybe limiting number of miles traveled and camps scheduled and having it be two schools per camp) will get through in a year or so.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 10:30 AM by PurpleReigns.)
04-12-2016 10:25 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(04-12-2016 10:25 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

@McMurphyESPN

Surprised MWC was against it since Boise used it at the very least. If the G5 had stayed together it would've stayed like it was and the SEC would've have to learn how to use it.

I think a modified version (maybe limiting number of miles traveled and camps scheduled and having it be two schools per camp) will get through in a year or so.

No. If all all the G5 sided with the Big 10. It still would have passed 8-7. P5 conferences get 2 votes. So with 4 P5 schools voting for it, it passed regardless.
the MW and SB went with the PAC and SEC since they like to have a working relationship with those conferences in the footprint.
04-12-2016 01:36 PM
Camfar Krej Offline
Water Engineer

We're still in the clear at least.
04-15-2016 06:48 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
I guess the good news according to Tom Herman is that Houston doesn't need to have satellite camps since he doesn't need to leave Houston to recruit.
04-15-2016 07:17 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Does anybody see what's happening? This is becoming exactly like baseball where Southern schools will dominate, even the small ones.
04-15-2016 08:00 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

satellite camps
(04-15-2016 08:00 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Does anybody see what's happening? This is becoming exactly like baseball where Southern schools will dominate, even the small ones.

Nothing wrong with that.
04-15-2016 08:32 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-12-2016 09:52 AM)TOPPERSonTOP Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 03:07 AM)CatMom Wrote:  
(04-10-2016 05:47 PM)Bulls Nation Wrote:  The reason because they can recruit the area harder. For example USF does camps in miami, ft myers, and Jacksonville. Those are great areas to recruit and give USF a bigger reach than just tampa and coaches that recruit city by city. The kids literally come to you.

"Most" of the suck belch can't afford it.

Every Sun Belt school hosts Satellite camps. Heck, Arkansas State hosts 6 out of state camps a year...all over the place. For most of us, it's the best way to reach out of state prospects who likely aren't going to pay to travel to your campus based camps.

The SBC voted against it because the SBC rep decided to ignore what most of the league wanted, and make his own decision.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 12:12 AM by chiefsfan.)
04-16-2016 12:10 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
@McMurphyESPN
NCAA Board of Directors rescinds ban on satellite camps, source tells @ESPN
04-28-2016 01:15 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(04-28-2016 01:15 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  @McMurphyESPN

Is this true? I haven't seen this anywhere on espn.
04-28-2016 01:22 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
satellite camps
(04-28-2016 01:22 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(04-28-2016 01:15 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  @McMurphyESPN

Is this true? I haven't seen this anywhere on espn.

Stop lying you are watching the Oprah channel
04-28-2016 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.