Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

New Hire/Big 12
Bookmark and Share
GR82BATIGER Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
New Hire/Big 12
Anyone else feel that whoever we end up hiring will either legitimize or crush our Big 12 hopes? If we are really Big 12 bound I can't see them going low level or cheap; if we aren't I don't see any way we can bring Marshall or Buzz...I think it's going to be very telling.
04-09-2016 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

I Root For: Memphis

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: New Hire/Big 12
(04-09-2016 08:36 AM)GR82BATIGER Wrote:  Anyone else feel that whoever we end up hiring will either legitimize or crush our Big 12 hopes? If we are really Big 12 bound I can't see them going low level or cheap; if we aren't I don't see any way we can bring Marshall or Buzz...I think it's going to be very telling.

No. Be patient.
04-09-2016 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
NO
04-09-2016 08:40 AM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
imho, it is more important what happens AFTER the hiring of the new coach (or how well the new coach performs).
We have a national reputation as a great or at least solid basketball program. we need to start looking like one.
04-09-2016 08:40 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Don't want to sound rude, GR82BATIGER (great screen name), but IMO if you think this, you don't really understand conference expansion.
04-09-2016 12:07 PM
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-09-2016 08:36 AM)GR82BATIGER Wrote:  Anyone else feel that whoever we end up hiring will either legitimize or crush our Big 12 hopes? If we are really Big 12 bound I can't see them going low level or cheap; if we aren't I don't see any way we can bring Marshall or Buzz...I think it's going to be very telling.

Before I answer if this is correct tell me which scenario we are talking about:

We were not going to take Memphis into the Big12 , but now that they have hired away VaTech's Basketball coach they are a lock!

Or

Memphis was our first choice for Big12 team #11 but they lost the hoops coach to GaTech and then hired an unknown coach from East Tennessee so lets give Uconn a call.
04-09-2016 12:10 PM
nutbushtiger Offline
The Trooper

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I wanna hear what Big12fan has to say about it.
04-09-2016 12:12 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-09-2016 12:10 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

We were not going to take Memphis into the Big12 , but now that they have hired away VaTech's Basketball coach they are a lock!

Or

Memphis was our first choice for Big12 team #11 but they lost the hoops coach to GaTech and then hired an unknown coach from East Tennessee so lets give Uconn a call.

I think he means the former, but in reality either way it doesn't affect our chances.
04-09-2016 12:17 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-09-2016 12:17 PM)Tigx Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 12:10 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Or

I think he means the former, but in reality either way it doesn't affect our chances.
I need to know before I start thinking about it. This question is important, it demands focus
04-09-2016 12:20 PM
Advertisement

GR82BATIGER Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
I don't think anyone understood what I meant:

I mean that if we know that we are getting into the Big 12 there is NO reason not to hire the big whale. This program is big enough to attract a premium coach if we know the Big 12 dollars are coming soon. If we know we aren't then we are much less likely to pursue any big names.

I know that the Big 12 couldn't care less who we hire. I'm just saying if all this chatter that is spouted on this board about us getting in has any validity then this hire should be a home run. If the hire is a smaller name then I think that means that nothing is imminent.
04-09-2016 12:36 PM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I got exactly what you were saying. No that our hiring would affect the big 12 decision, but that the big 12 decision might affect our hiring. And frankly, if they KNOW something, how could it not? The question is how much is KNOWN.
04-09-2016 12:39 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
I wish it would make a humongous difference, but I remember when a conference expansion buddy told me a long time ago...

They wouldn't care if a monkey was running our program.

Edit: That's why I felt the need to step up my caring level...lol
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 12:42 PM by snowtiger.)
04-09-2016 12:41 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-09-2016 12:36 PM)GR82BATIGER Wrote:  I don't think anyone understood what I meant:

I mean that if we know that we are getting into the Big 12 there is NO reason not to hire the big whale. This program is big enough to attract a premium coach if we know the Big 12 dollars are coming soon. If we know we aren't then we are much less likely to pursue any big names.

I know that the Big 12 couldn't care less who we hire. I'm just saying if all this chatter that is spouted on this board about us getting in has any validity then this hire should be a home run. If the hire is a smaller name then I think that means that nothing is imminent.

Ok, that makes more sense.

IMO, no one, not even the B12 themselves, knows for sure who is being invited and when.

But I've never really understood the P5 focus for hoops. The point in football with the BCS and now the playoff is that you really have no chance at a national championship if you weren't in the right conference.

Obviously in hoops that is not the case. So, aside from the TV money, there really is no difference coaching in the American vs. the Pac12 or the B12. Especially with the American's ESPN exposure.
04-09-2016 12:42 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(04-09-2016 12:36 PM)GR82BATIGER Wrote:  I don't think anyone understood what I meant:

interesting. Sometimes I think that the Big12 wouldn't necessarily bring any more $ to BB. We are always gonna find some reason why FB needs it more. That's why I scream and yell so loudly about BB. I want both.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 12:46 PM by snowtiger.)
04-09-2016 12:45 PM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
Check back Tuesday...everything goes down then.
04-09-2016 02:14 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
I believe th B12 is very close to a decision and we are in the final round. I'm guessing, like what's been posted elsewhere, that we will know by the end of May
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 02:24 PM by tigerjamesc.)
04-09-2016 02:24 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

We will spend enough money for a coach that the Big XII thing won't be a pivotal issue.

There are a limited number of highly-desirable coaches. None of them are going to be swayed by Memphis joining the Big XII. If that type of thing is part of their decision process then Memphis would not be on their radar at all.
04-09-2016 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.