Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis after Wichita State's Gregg Marshall (SportingNews article)
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Memphis after Wichita State's Gregg Marshall (SportingNews article)
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...g-marshall

Atop the list of candidates whom Memphis brass are reportedly considering is Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall, according to Memphis radio station ESPN 92.9. ESPN also reported on Friday that Marshall has considered the Memphis job one that "intrigues" him.

Marshall, of course, has been a candidate linked to many of the top jobs that have opened in recent years: Texas and Alabama last year, Tennessee in 2014 and South Carolina in 2012, to name a few. He's not yet taken the bait, instead preferring to stay with the Shockers.

...if Marshall is truly interested in coaching the Tigers, he won't come cheap.

He made $3.3 million in base salary in 2015 at a Missouri Valley Conference school, which is to say that a move to a bigger conference like the American Athletic Conference — of which Memphis is a member institution — would precipitate a raise.
04-08-2016 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
RE: Memphis after Wichita State's Gregg Marshall (SportingNews article)
Girl I went to Temple with wrote this article.
04-08-2016 02:42 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
I can't for the life of me understand why the AAC doesn't invite Wichita for Olympic sports, especially basketball and baseball. Is it financial (not wanting to split the pie) or fear that they will fade after coach leaves? Or something else?
04-08-2016 02:44 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
(04-08-2016 02:44 PM)AusTxPony Wrote:  I can't for the life of me understand why the AAC doesn't invite Wichita for Olympic sports, especially basketball and baseball. Is it financial (not wanting to split the pie) or fear that they will fade after coach leaves? Or something else?

Not enough revenue addition to justify the further division of the pie maybe?
04-08-2016 02:48 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
At least his staff would be very familiar with Memphis. Greg Heir was on Larry E's staff here. Many wanted him instead of DT. Greg is the juco guru.
04-08-2016 02:50 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
With the contract we have now which is bupkis money, we can't afford to add Central Connecticut state.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 03:11 PM by Stookey57.)
04-08-2016 03:10 PM
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
We'd need to give him 4 million/yr, 700k/yr for assistants, the highest recruiting budget in the league, private jet access for his family. That's steep.
04-08-2016 03:20 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
But the mom's love the mustache wax 02-13-banana
04-08-2016 03:28 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
In think this is a great year to make a run at marshall. Ideal time for him to move up. Had Cronin left I really wanted uc to go hard at him
04-08-2016 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(04-08-2016 02:48 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 02:44 PM)AusTxPony Wrote:  I can't for the life of me understand why the AAC doesn't invite Wichita for Olympic sports, especially basketball and baseball. Is it financial (not wanting to split the pie) or fear that they will fade after coach leaves? Or something else?

The division of the pie would be almost nothing to the rest of the league because they wouldn't get football share of TV. Talking maybe $50K per team and if they get NCAA credits that number becomes accretive plus we would have the extra good basketball inventory for the next tv negotiation in a few years. It doesn't make sense why we don't add them.
04-08-2016 04:16 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(04-08-2016 03:20 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  We'd need to give him 4 million/yr, 700k/yr for assistants, the highest recruiting budget in the league, private jet access for his family. That's steep.

TOO damned steep, in my opinion.
04-08-2016 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(04-08-2016 04:16 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 02:48 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  

The division of the pie would be almost nothing to the rest of the league because they wouldn't get football share of TV. Talking maybe $50K per team and if they get NCAA credits that number becomes accretive plus we would have the extra good basketball inventory for the next tv negotiation in a few years. It doesn't make sense why we don't add them.

1. All due respect don't see Marshall leaving knowing you will have 2 Top 10 jobs opening up within IMO 1-2 years if not sooner at UNC & Louisville.

2. You're not going to outbid Wichita State....Remember they are backed by the Koch Brothers and they love Gregg Marshall....in case you didn't know the Koch Brothers are worth minimum $40 Billion and as high as $80 Billion...At this point Memphis/Wichita same program...2 very good programs that can make Final Four runs.

But Memphis has to make the phone call...you do your due diligence
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 04:28 PM by Maize.)
04-08-2016 04:26 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
(04-08-2016 04:26 PM)Maize Wrote:  But Memphis has to make the phone call...you do your due diligence

Exactly. He the most obvious candidate out there and says he just wants a situation where he can win. I think we can present that to him. I don't think he's coming to Memphis, but you HAVE to ask. He can't say "yes" unless you give him the opportunity to.
04-08-2016 04:49 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
I like to see Memphis land Gregg Marshall... This hire could definitely make Memphis the scary good monster of this league.
04-08-2016 04:53 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Don't think Memphis has any chance at getting Marshall.
04-08-2016 04:56 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(04-08-2016 04:53 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  I like to see Memphis land Gregg Marshall... This hire could definitely make Memphis the scary good monster of this league.

I don't know why he would come. While I think Memphis has more upside than Wichita, and might possibly pay more, so does every single one of the schools that he would be interested in. As Maise said, UNC should open up and if it's upside and money that counts, there you have it.

There was an article somewhere a few years back where he more or less hinted/implied that the only place he would move to would be the Carolinas. He's from South Carolina and I believe his wife is from North Carolina.
04-08-2016 05:02 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(04-08-2016 04:56 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Don't think Memphis has any chance at getting Marshall.

I actually think they can, TC

Memphis has a pretty nice basketball history that plus the impressive head coaches in this league should only entice and add to the Memphis pitch.
04-08-2016 05:08 PM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Marshall has looked around the past few years. From what I hear, a number of schools have passed on him for a variety of reasons, despite significant interest from Marshall. He may not be as hot a property among ADs as he appears to be among fans.
04-08-2016 05:15 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(04-08-2016 05:15 PM)MU88 Wrote:  He may not be as hot a property among ADs as he appears to be among fans.

Very interesting point... If hired, he may not want to answer to one... No AD is gonna want a headache as this.
04-08-2016 05:28 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-08-2016 05:15 PM)MU88 Wrote:  Marshall has looked around the past few years. From what I hear, a number of schools have passed on him for a variety of reasons, despite significant interest from Marshall. He may not be as hot a property among ADs as he appears to be among fans.

Which schools specifically? That's interesting....cheers!
04-08-2016 05:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.