04-06-2016 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
RE: Two GMs say Paxton Lynch has highest ceiling of any QB in draft
I hope that Paxton goes to a situation that will be good for him in the long run.

DeAngelo was fortunate to be at the Panthers and to share running back duties while there. He avoided the wear-and-tear that he would have gotten as a "every down" running back for other teams. That is one reason that he played as the oldest RB in the NFL last season at the Steelers.

If Paxton can get drafted behind an established starter, then he can put money in the bank and stay healthy versus being drafted by a really bad team where he is thrown into the fire and beat up. Some of those bad teams don't have the offensive line to protect him and he could get chewed up.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 08:42 AM by covingtontiger.)
04-07-2016 08:42 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(04-07-2016 08:42 AM)covingtontiger Wrote:  I hope that Paxton goes to a situation that will be good for him in the long run.

DeAngelo was fortunate to be at the Panthers and to share running back duties while there. He avoided the wear-and-tear that he would have gotten as a "every down" running back for other teams. That is one reason that he played as the oldest RB in the NFL last season at the Steelers.

If Paxton can get drafted behind an established starter, then he can put money in the bank and stay healthy versus being drafted by a really bad team where he is thrown into the fire and beat up. Some of those bad teams don't have the offensive line to protect him and he could get chewed up.

I agree. That's the ideal scenario
04-07-2016 08:45 AM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
I don't understand how the "experts" will knock Paxton for not playing anyone...so they can't decide how good he'll be, but they will praise that Caron Wentz.
04-07-2016 08:58 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(04-07-2016 08:58 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  I don't understand how the "experts" will knock Paxton for not playing anyone...so they can't decide how good he'll be, but they will praise that Caron Wentz.

when you try to fill 4 months with draft coverage and analysis, you will basically contradict yourself over and over.
04-07-2016 10:08 AM
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(04-07-2016 08:58 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  I don't understand how the "experts" will knock Paxton for not playing anyone...so they can't decide how good he'll be, but they will praise that Caron Wentz.

Based on the offense Wentz ran in college.

Memphis offense was a high flying high scoring offense. The perception is that Paxton never played under center. That's BS. I bet he took at least 10 snaps per game under center. One is highlighted on the Gruden camp.
04-07-2016 10:10 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Dianna Marie Russini Verified account
‏@diannaESPN
Well that changes things, Jon Gruden just told @jaycrawfordespn and @LisaKerneyESPN on @SportsCenter Connor Cook is the best QB in the draft
04-07-2016 11:08 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

(04-07-2016 11:08 AM)80sTiger Wrote:  Dianna Marie Russini Verified account
‏@diannaESPN
Well that changes things, Jon Gruden just told @jaycrawfordespn and @LisaKerneyESPN on @SportsCenter Connor Cook is the best QB in the draft

Changes what? Unless he's picking for his brother.
04-07-2016 12:16 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

At 6-7, Paxton certainly NEEDS the highest ceiling of any QB in the draft...
04-07-2016 12:38 PM
Advertisement

Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(04-07-2016 12:38 PM)holyterror Wrote:  At 6-7, Paxton certainly NEEDS the highest ceiling of any QB in the draft...

Rimshot
04-07-2016 12:40 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

(04-07-2016 12:38 PM)holyterror Wrote:  At 6-7, Paxton certainly NEEDS the highest ceiling of any QB in the draft...

[Image: well-done-23443783.jpg]
04-07-2016 12:44 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(04-07-2016 10:10 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

Memphis offense was a high flying high scoring offense. The perception is that Paxton never played under center. That's BS. I bet he took at least 10 snaps per game under center. One is highlighted on the Gruden camp.

What offense you run has no bearing on your level of competition, which is what his post was referring to.

You can ask questions about Paxton running a spread offense as opposed to a pro offense, but that has nothing to do with your level of competition.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 12:58 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-07-2016 12:57 PM
WColt45 Offline
Tigris Fanaticus

I Root For: West TN Normal
(04-07-2016 12:57 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

What offense you run has no bearing on your level of competition, which is what his post was referring to.

You can ask questions about Paxton running a spread offense as opposed to a pro offense, but that has nothing to do with your level of competition.

agreed. But if you want an example of how useful the type of offense is in college just look at Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen. One ran a spread offense, the other a pro style.
04-07-2016 01:07 PM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(04-07-2016 01:07 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 12:57 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

agreed. But if you want an example of how useful the type of offense is in college just look at Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen. One ran a spread offense, the other a pro style.

Yep.

Most of this talk is just typical NFL GM's gamesmenship and media hype.

Anyone who watched Paxton all year knows he is pretty effective behind center and we saw plenty of it this year.

Those who actually break down the tape see it too.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 01:27 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-07-2016 01:27 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I watched a little bit of pro-day yesterday, and it appeared he was on the field with a bunch of midgets. The guy is huge.
04-07-2016 03:34 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

I think Lynch will have a good career in the NFL. He looked good with a bunch of walk on wide receivers. I know defenses are better in the NFL but Lynch will have better wide receivers to throw to.
04-07-2016 04:52 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(04-07-2016 08:42 AM)covingtontiger Wrote:  I hope that Paxton goes to a situation that will be good for him in the long run.

While I agree that is what was best for DeAngelo's pockets, but if he ever had aspirations of being known as being a regular pro bowler that was not the ideal situation.
04-07-2016 05:03 PM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-07-2016 05:03 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

While I agree that is what was best for DeAngelo's pockets, but if he ever had aspirations of being known as being a regular pro bowler that was not the ideal situation.

Yep. And make no doubt, dude could have had a few pro bowls.
04-07-2016 08:23 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

Crappies
Paxton's talent is incredible and he's smart on top of that. He's got a chance to be a star.
04-07-2016 10:50 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(04-07-2016 10:50 PM)Psicosis Wrote:  Paxton's talent is incredible and he's smart on top of that. He's got a chance to be a star.

Intelligence is key. Ryan Leaf had the proverbial million dollar arm and the ten cent brain.

The Raiders were smart in picking Derek Carr over Johnny Barstool. Carr is a Christian, family man with responsibility. Johnny is a high school punk. It is a man's game that requires manliness on and off the field.
04-08-2016 02:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.