Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thinking outside the box. # 15 UConn #16 maybe NYU
Bookmark and Share
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
Assuming the push for the eastern seaboard is still ongoing UConn seems to me the most logical in the Boston to NoVA megolopolis. I don't think this needs to be developed but if you could see potential in Rutgers in 2011 you absolutely see potential in UConn. UConn would open up New England and really solidify the B1G in NYC.
Also assuming all ACC schools are tied up until at least the mid 2020s, an outside the box solution could be NYU for 16. I know they are a private school, but they have over 57,000 students. They have like 17 Billionaires among their alumni. They are an AAU school. They would give us a school in the state of New York. There is no Flagship public school in New York's public schools leaving the door wide open in a region of the country where private schools are far more prominent.
The only sports that actually matter are Football and basketball so they'd need to build some on-campus training facilities, but they are located primarily in Manhattan so they could work out something to have their home games in the Garden for hoops and in Metlife Stadium for Football.
It would take a while to be integrated but having local schools (NYU, Rutgers, & UConn) plus prominent Eastern B1G schools (Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State & Maryland) would give the B1G major sway in NYC.
04-02-2016 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: Thinking outside the box. # 15 UConn #16 maybe NYU
I see potential in UConn, but I see more elsewhere. I think their benefit to the Big Ten is limited. They are not an academic powerhouse and they are not an AAU member. At best, they have a sizable market share of a market (New York City) the Big Ten already holds with little competition even if UConn were to go to another P5 conference. UConn brings excellent basketball and limited football when the Big Ten could benefit more from a football addition. UConn doesn't bring even an average recruiting area so they'd essentially be stealing from existing areas. UConn (to my knowledge) does have a sizable following and alumni base so that is a positive. In essence, to me it boils down to I wouldn't want UConn if other basketball powers were on the table, i.e. Kansas, UNC, and maybe Duke. Assuming UNC and Duke aren't available, Kansas is still favorable to me due to their AAU membership, potential for better rivalries with the western schools such as Iowa and Nebraska, and getting Kansas likely means getting Oklahoma. If it were Oklahoma and either Kansas or UConn, I would still choose Kansas.

As for NYU, why would the Big Ten give a precious membership spot to a school that brings nothing to the table? NYU isn't even Division I right? Sure they have strong academics but that addition would kill the Big Ten athletic brand with no guarantee of working out monetarily. It would have to be a long-term addition but you don't even know if they would be interested. It would be better to take a swing and ask Harvard and Yale to join.
04-02-2016 05:40 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
NYU doesn't play football, and in basketball and other sports are division 3. So no.

Welcome to invite them to the CIC though.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 10:26 PM by AntiG.)
04-02-2016 10:26 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

NYU stepped away from playing big time sports long, long ago. You might as well push for the inclusion of Emory or Carnegie Mellon.
04-03-2016 10:15 AM
Advertisement

AntiG Offline
1st String

MIT. It'll get us Boston
04-03-2016 05:55 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
(04-03-2016 10:15 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  NYU stepped away from playing big time sports long, long ago. You might as well push for the inclusion of Emory or Carnegie Mellon.

Ironically they share a conference with the University of Chicago. Both along with Johns Hopkins and several others were the founding members of that conference. Hopkins has since left it for another D-3 conference. Lacrosse has obviously stayed at a D-1 level...
04-04-2016 03:47 PM
gopher952 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MN,bsu,umd
I rather not see more east expansion but UConn maybe if u grab Kansas would make for an amazing basketball league.
04-04-2016 04:15 PM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
NYU is close to being like the University of Chicago.

There are better schools to go after than UCONN.
04-05-2016 10:22 AM
AntiG Offline
1st String

The B1G needs to get their hands dirty to break up the B12 or ACC or both. That's really where the future expansion for the conference lies.

All of these schools should be prime targets
- Texas
- Oklahoma
- Duke
- FSU
- UNC
- GTech

Secondary considerations to move it along (only as a pairing if desired by one of the primaries)
- UVA
- VTech
- Kansas
- UConn
- Rice
- WVU
04-05-2016 12:47 PM
akhosrof Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Indiana/Tulane
If the B1G is to make another move, #15 has to be a game changer from a brand perspective: Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame. If the conference cannot get one of these three, don't expand. If it can, #16 can be more focused on expanding the TV market footprint. The exception to this rule would be a UNC/UVA combo, where the combined TV market trumps football brand. Although, I don't think state politics allows UNC or UVA to leave their other state schools (and maybe this is the case with Oklahoma and Kansas as well).

To me, if the B1G can grab Notre Dame, the logical partner is UConn. From a scheduling perspective: 16 in pods of 4 is much easier to schedule than 14 (in two divisions) for both football and basketball. Pods work out perfectly:

1. Mid-Atlantic 2. Northeast
Connecticut Michigan
Maryland Michigan State
Penn State Notre Dame
Rutgers Ohio State

3. Midwest 4. West
Illinois Iowa
Indiana Minnesota
Northwestern Nebraska
Purdue Wisconsin

For a 9 game conference football schedule, each team plays their pod then plays ever other team in the conference bi-annually. For an 18 game conference basketball schedule, you play a home and home with your pod, then play every other team once. These pods are the best combination of rivalries and geography. A four year football player gets to see every campus in the B1G.

So the question remains: why would ND join the B1G. We are talking LONG TERM perspective here. The B1G and SEC (and maybe the PAC 12) create a revenue gap so large compared to the other conferences that ND is incentivized to join to maintain competitive spending.

Maybe there is synergy between the B1G and Notre Dame to create greater value for the B1G Network than ND or the B1G can find anywhere else. A win win for both sides.

Also: the college football playoff expands to 6 or 8 so each conference champion gets an automatic bid. Therefore, ND can play a tough OOC schedule against USC, Stanford and Navy, in addition to nine conference games (or ND could rotate Stanford and USC bi-annually). ND could get into the national championship as a wild card or by winning the B1G, as losing a game or two isn't the end of the world like it is now in college football.

Just some thoughts...
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 08:40 AM by akhosrof.)
04-06-2016 08:26 AM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

If you really want a team in NYC then might as well go with Fordham. They have FB and have a great history. I don't think they would be a great add and if we are going to take a flyer on a outside the box program might as well go UConn and UMass. Sure up New England.
04-06-2016 04:30 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-06-2016 08:26 AM)akhosrof Wrote:  If the B1G is to make another move, #15 has to be a game changer from a brand perspective: Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame. If the conference cannot get one of these three, don't expand. If it can, #16 can be more focused on expanding the TV market footprint. The exception to this rule would be a UNC/UVA combo, where the combined TV market trumps football brand. Although, I don't think state politics allows UNC or UVA to leave their other state schools (and maybe this is the case with Oklahoma and Kansas as well).

To me, if the B1G can grab Notre Dame, the logical partner is UConn. From a scheduling perspective: 16 in pods of 4 is much easier to schedule than 14 (in two divisions) for both football and basketball. Pods work out perfectly:

1. Mid-Atlantic 2. Northeast
Connecticut Michigan
Maryland Michigan State
Penn State Notre Dame
Rutgers Ohio State

3. Midwest 4. West
Illinois Iowa
Indiana Minnesota
Northwestern Nebraska
Purdue Wisconsin

For a 9 game conference football schedule, each team plays their pod then plays ever other team in the conference bi-annually. For an 18 game conference basketball schedule, you play a home and home with your pod, then play every other team once. These pods are the best combination of rivalries and geography. A four year football player gets to see every campus in the B1G.

So the question remains: why would ND join the B1G. We are talking LONG TERM perspective here. The B1G and SEC (and maybe the PAC 12) create a revenue gap so large compared to the other conferences that ND is incentivized to join to maintain competitive spending.

Maybe there is synergy between the B1G and Notre Dame to create greater value for the B1G Network than ND or the B1G can find anywhere else. A win win for both sides.

Also: the college football playoff expands to 6 or 8 so each conference champion gets an automatic bid. Therefore, ND can play a tough OOC schedule against USC, Stanford and Navy, in addition to nine conference games (or ND could rotate Stanford and USC bi-annually). ND could get into the national championship as a wild card or by winning the B1G, as losing a game or two isn't the end of the world like it is now in college football.

Just some thoughts...

Oh hell no. God forbid..........
04-07-2016 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
akhosrof Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Indiana/Tulane
Never say never. As an IU alum I hate ND just as much as the next guy, but in the end $$$$ talks.
04-07-2016 10:20 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(04-06-2016 04:30 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  If you really want a team in NYC then might as well go with Fordham. They have FB and have a great history. I don't think they would be a great add and if we are going to take a flyer on a outside the box program might as well go UConn and UMass. Sure up New England.
From an athletic program point of view, Fordham may be where Rutgers was in 1990, but I wish the school had as many students as St. John's, which I believe is around 21,000 (about 15,500 undergrad and 5,500 grad).
04-09-2016 03:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.