Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What needs to happen in order for EA to make a new NCAA Football game?
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Is there anything short of the NCAA allowing players to get paid for the use of their likeness that would allow for another sequel?
04-01-2016 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: What needs to happen in order for EA to make a new NCAA Football game?
nothing...it's dead and gone
04-01-2016 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
The NCAA and college football video game fans be like...

[Image: giphy.gif]
04-01-2016 09:22 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
I wonder if there is a system that could be worked out where EA would pay NCAA and then NCAA would distribute a chunk of that money to schools who would then distribute it to players via a COA stipend.
04-01-2016 11:32 AM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(04-01-2016 11:32 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  I wonder if there is a system that could be worked out where EA would pay NCAA and then NCAA would distribute a chunk of that money to schools who would then distribute it to players via a COA stipend.

That would be the best case scenario. Or EAST could just use generic numbers and skin colors. Just reverse the black guys to white guys and change their numbers. Just leave their attributes. That way, say Tim Tebow can't go back and say look that's me.
04-01-2016 03:15 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
(04-01-2016 03:15 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 11:32 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  I wonder if there is a system that could be worked out where EA would pay NCAA and then NCAA would distribute a chunk of that money to schools who would then distribute it to players via a COA stipend.

That would be the best case scenario. Or EAST could just use generic numbers and skin colors. Just reverse the black guys to white guys and change their numbers. Just leave their attributes. That way, say Tim Tebow can't go back and say look that's me.

Ding-Ding-Ding! We have a winner. (It should happen, at least.)
04-01-2016 03:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

So, suppose that EA uses your name and likeness in a video game and owes you royalties after making truckloads of money on that video game. You're saying that you would be happy if, instead of paying those royalties to you, EA gives the money to your boss, and your boss uses that money to pay for a benefit that he was already going to give you anyway, meaning that you really get zero/zip/nada from all that money EA owes to you. That would be perfectly ok with you. Right?
04-01-2016 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
It was basically the same game every year anways. Glad it was killed.
04-01-2016 03:54 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(04-01-2016 03:50 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

So, suppose that EA uses your name and likeness in a video game and owes you royalties after making truckloads of money on that video game. You're saying that you would be happy if, instead of paying those royalties to you, EA gives the money to your boss, and your boss uses that money to pay for a benefit that he was already going to give you anyway, meaning that you really get zero/zip/nada from all that money EA owes to you. That would be perfectly ok with you. Right?

It would be a work around so that the players wouldn't get paid directly. I'd expect the COA amounts players receive to increase. EA has never used players names so I wouldn't expect them to start now.

Someone brought up another point that they could just randomize players numbers and appearances. That would be the work around that seems less chaotic.
04-01-2016 03:59 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-01-2016 03:59 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

It would be a work around so that the players wouldn't get paid directly. I'd expect the COA amounts players receive to increase. EA has never used players names so I wouldn't expect them to start now.

Someone brought up another point that they could just randomize players numbers and appearances. That would be the work around that seems less chaotic.

EA can already do that. They don't want to do that because the appeal to customers, thus the money to EA, is in the use of real names, numbers, and appearances. For example, EA makes tons of money on its FIFA game from in-game purchases of player packs by fans hoping to get Messi or Ronaldo or some other superstar.
04-01-2016 04:16 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(04-01-2016 04:16 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

EA can already do that. They don't want to do that because the appeal to customers, thus the money to EA, is in the use of real names, numbers, and appearances. For example, EA makes tons of money on its FIFA game from in-game purchases of player packs by fans hoping to get Messi or Ronaldo or some other superstar.

Yeah, but that is totally different because they are pros. You buy a college game to play with the schools. Most players play dynasty and a few weeks later after you've gone through 4 seasons, all the "real" players are gone anyway.
04-01-2016 05:39 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

Actually they can't as they are no longer licensed to use NCAA teams. I wouldn't buy a new game every year, but I never do for any sports game as they are just the same game with new rosters. I'd suggest making a new game every 3-4 years that includes enough differences between copies that makes it worth buying the new copy. They could offer an annual dlc package to update coaches and conference changes.
04-01-2016 06:28 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(04-01-2016 05:39 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Yeah, but that is totally different because they are pros. You buy a college game to play with the schools. Most players play dynasty and a few weeks later after you've gone through 4 seasons, all the "real" players are gone anyway.

Yes, this is the case with me. I don't care if the players are accurate because they all graduate within four seasons anyway.
04-02-2016 08:06 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(04-01-2016 03:54 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  It was basically the same game every year anways. Glad it was killed.

True, but since I still break it out in the offseason, it would be nice if I could have accurate conferences (you can edit them but they are two teams short, will be three when UAB returns) and rules, along with the plus-one they market as a playoff.

It doesn't bother me at all that the players are out of date, but I'm tired of Tulane playing in the wrong stadium, dammit!
04-02-2016 08:10 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Why can't the schools or universities put the money in an account & pay them once they sign with an agent? Have a standard across the board payout for use of likeness & a set amount for use on cover & such. As long as the payouts are standardized then there wouldn't be a recruiting advantage either.
04-02-2016 09:24 AM
TitanTopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
[Image: latest?cb=20071115061958]
04-02-2016 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.