Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This might make (or break) an ECU fan's day...
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
MyBB This might make (or break) an ECU fan's day...
"The American also includes several other historically major programs such as Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis, and Temple, and as such is considered a power conference."

And before any of you pirates starts to feel vindicated about the strength of your football program, the author was talking about your basketball team 04-jawdrop

In full context:
"The two leagues that resulted from the 2013 split of the original Big East Conference (which had been an AQ conference in the BCS era)—the football-sponsoring American Athletic Conference and new, non-football Big East Conference—are often considered to be major basketball conferences as well ... [sentence discussing the BIG EAST omitted] ... The American also includes several other historically major programs such as Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis, and Temple, and as such is considered a power conference."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major

As a word of warning, be careful. Evidently people are starting to think that you're a basketball school... 03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 05:00 AM by nzmorange.)
03-27-2016 04:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Poor UConn didn't make the cut.
03-27-2016 07:01 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
RE: This might make (or break) an ECU fan's day...
Goes along the same line of Butler and Creighton getting into the Big East.

Tulane, ECU, UCF, Tulsa, etc...they are new add's that when included are "technically" on the same level as UConn, Cincy, etc...no matter what they bring to the conference.
03-27-2016 08:56 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2016 08:56 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Goes along the same line of Butler and Creighton getting into the Big East.

Tulane, ECU, UCF, Tulsa, etc...they are new add's that when included are "technically" on the same level as UConn, Cincy, etc...no matter what they bring to the conference.

I read the sentence as saying that "the AAC's status as a major is derived from teams that have a strong history, like ECU." I don't read it as saying "the AAC is a major, therefore do are all of its adds, including ECU."
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 06:09 PM by nzmorange.)
03-27-2016 12:06 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Northwestern has never made an NCAA tournament appearance. They are still a power program, 100%.
03-27-2016 12:11 PM
Advertisement

HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
(03-27-2016 12:06 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(03-27-2016 08:56 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Goes along the same line of Butler and Creighton getting into the Big East.

I read the sentence as saying that "the AAC's status as a major is derived from teams that have a strong history, like ECU." I don't read it as saying "the AAC is a major, therefor do are all of its adds, including ECU."

Your conference affiliation is what you are. The question is where you fall within that conference...within that group of programs. If you show can consistently show a huge separation, it often times means you will be a candidate for a different conference.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 12:17 PM by HP-TBDPITL.)
03-27-2016 12:17 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
this lost me when it said "East Carolina"
03-27-2016 12:19 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU

I read the sentence as saying that "the AAC's status as a major is derived from teams that have a strong history, like ECU." I don't read it as saying "the AAC is a major, therefor do are all of its adds, including ECU."

Of course you will spin this to make the AAC look negative. You are in a sinking conference with no way out. I understand why yoof would grasp for straws.
03-27-2016 03:45 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

Lebo wrote that.
03-27-2016 04:47 PM
Advertisement

Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF

Yup unless got 100 years of suckage under your belt like Rutgers you are not major.
03-27-2016 05:15 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

Hey does CUSA have a tv contract yet?
03-27-2016 05:15 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(03-27-2016 05:15 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  

Hey does CUSA have a tv contract yet?

yes...it's about like our POS contract
03-27-2016 05:50 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2016 12:17 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  

Your conference affiliation is what you are. The question is where you fall within that conference...within that group of programs. If you show can consistently show a huge separation, it often times means you will be a candidate for a different conference.

You're missing the point. The statement isn't whether ECU and (insert AAC school here) are on the same level. It's that the AAC level is high in basketball because of ECU. I'm sure ECU football pulls its weight and then some. I don't think that I've ever heard anyone else claim the ECU basketball was the poster child for the AAC. IMHO, that distinction should go to one of UC, UConn, Memphis, Temple, or Houston.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 06:07 PM by nzmorange.)
03-27-2016 06:00 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

They must've mixed up ECU and VCU.
03-27-2016 06:03 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2016 03:45 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  

Of course you will spin this to make the AAC look negative. You are in a sinking conference with no way out. I understand why yoof would grasp for straws.

The AAC is both a great basketball league and close to my heart. I'm not spinning anything. I just saw something funny on wikipedia. If you want to argue that ECU is better than a bunch of P5 schools in football, I won't stop you. I just don't think of ECU basketball when I think of the cream of the AAC. UConn? Sure. UC? Sure. Memphis? Sure. Houston and Temple? Sure. ECU? Not so much.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 06:07 PM by nzmorange.)
03-27-2016 06:04 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2016 06:03 PM)Chappy Wrote:  They must've mixed up ECU and VCU.

I don't think so because VCU isn't in the AAC - Unless you mean the guy thought that ECU traditionally fielded strong teams because he confused it with VCU being strong. Then maybe, but it's still a funny wikipedia gem.
03-27-2016 06:08 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

(03-27-2016 06:08 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Unless you mean the guy thought that ECU traditionally fielded strong teams because he confused it with VCU being strong. Then maybe, but it's still a funny wikipedia gem.

Yes, that is what I meant, but I was only joking.
03-27-2016 07:41 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2016 07:41 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(03-27-2016 06:08 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Unless you mean the guy thought that ECU traditionally fielded strong teams because he confused it with VCU being strong. Then maybe, but it's still a funny wikipedia gem.

Yes, that is what I meant, but I was only joking.

Touché. I should have picked that up. It's been a long day!
03-27-2016 07:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.