Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Moderators comment on banned users
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Only posting this to avoid more potentially damaging speculation

It is true that one can be banned for comments... Though it obviously has to be pretty bad, or a long pattern.

You can also choose to delete your profile, but the system doesn't actually delete you. Instead you are 'voluntarily' banned... And of course that can be done for a wide variety of reasons... Mostly personal.

Without commenting on any individual poster, banned posters either OBVIOUSLY deserved it, OR they willingly participated in it.
03-26-2016 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
RE: Moderators comment on banned users
I guess that one might consider being banned if the atmosphere on the board was too consistently negative.

Hmmm
03-26-2016 05:22 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-26-2016 05:08 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Only posting this to avoid more potentially damaging speculation

It is true that one can be banned for comments... Though it obviously has to be pretty bad, or a long pattern.

You can also choose to delete your profile, but the system doesn't actually delete you. Instead you are 'voluntarily' banned... And of course that can be done for a wide variety of reasons... Mostly personal.

Without commenting on any individual poster, banned posters either OBVIOUSLY deserved it, OR they willingly participated in it.

Thanks for the information.
03-26-2016 05:26 PM
OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: OWLS & TEXANS
01-wingedeagle I was BANNED before; and PROUD of it! The THOUGHT POLICE can't silence the TRUTH! 02-13-banana
03-26-2016 07:04 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-26-2016 05:22 PM)grol Wrote:  I guess that one might consider being banned if the atmosphere on the board was too consistently negative.

Hmmm

Based on some PM's that is certainly a possibility.
03-26-2016 11:35 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(03-26-2016 11:35 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 05:22 PM)grol Wrote:  I guess that one might consider being banned if the atmosphere on the board was too consistently negative.

Hmmm

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...sm/475356/
03-27-2016 02:45 AM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-27-2016 02:45 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

Hmmm

So if (potentially) people voluntarily opt out of a board because they possibly grow tired of the messages on the board . . . . . you think that's analogous to a university trying to control/limit free speech?

If people get tired of rude, anonymous posters publically referring to coaches as "clowns" (to quote a recent post here) and worse, and decide to spend their time elsewhere, that's their prerogative, and it in no way impacts another poster's freedom to expose their own character.
03-27-2016 08:25 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(03-27-2016 08:25 AM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(03-27-2016 02:45 AM)Antarius Wrote:  

Hmmm

So if (potentially) people voluntarily opt out of a board because they possibly grow tired of the messages on the board . . . . . you think that's analogous to a university trying to control/limit free speech?

If people get tired of rude, anonymous posters publically referring to coaches as "clowns" (to quote a recent post here) and worse, and decide to spend their time elsewhere, that's their prerogative, and it in no way impacts another poster's freedom to expose their own character.

What does anonymous have to do with it? the rudeness knows no bounds.

In either case, we have effectively driven away one of our best supporters and posters. He's not the first good one to go away, just the only one so far to choose this route.

So, questions for Hambone:

Can you ban yourself on one forum and remain unbanned on related forums?

if you ban yourself, can you unban yourself?
03-27-2016 09:21 AM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Mysterious disappearances. Our own version of the Guilty Remnant.

Is this an episode of The Leftovers?
03-27-2016 11:37 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-27-2016 09:21 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  So, questions for Hambone:

You don't actually ban yourself. You ask to be deleted... and it cannot be undone and applies to all forums.

You can also be banned from a specific forum, but we don't want to get into this banning and unbanning of people... it's quite cumbersome.

You can certainly do as I have done.... Other than these two posts, it's been many many weeks since I've posted on here. A self-imposed ban. It's pretty bad (from both sides) when you run off an 11 year posting mod with 25,000 posts.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 12:23 PM by Hambone10.)
03-27-2016 12:23 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(03-27-2016 12:23 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

You don't actually ban yourself. You ask to be deleted... and it cannot be undone and applies to all forums.

You can also be banned from a specific forum, but we don't want to get into this banning and unbanning of people... it's quite cumbersome.

You can certainly do as I have done.... Other than these two posts, it's been many many weeks since I've posted on here. A self-imposed ban. It's pretty bad (from both sides) when you run off an 11 year posting mod with 25,000 posts.

And you are certainly one of the best posters on every forum we share, says the eleven year poster with 26,000 posts (just had to one up ya there).

I have tried just going away, but as this is about the only forum where I can get info on my Owls, for example, the spring practice thread, I come back for the news and end up eventually with a comment. It's like being on a diet but having to into the bakery to get the morning news.

I guess I will have to try harder. It is certainly doable, as witnessed by the many good posters who have gone away and not come back.
03-27-2016 01:10 PM
Advertisement

owl95 Offline
1st String

(03-27-2016 01:10 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

And you are certainly one of the best posters on every forum we share, says the eleven year poster with 26,000 posts (just had to one up ya there).

I have tried just going away, but as this is about the only forum where I can get info on my Owls, for example, the spring practice thread, I come back for the news and end up eventually with a comment. It's like being on a diet but having to into the bakery to get the morning news.

I guess I will have to try harder. It is certainly doable, as witnessed by the many good posters who have gone away and not come back.

I like using your name in vain, so you can't go away. What would it mean to be an OptimisticOwl™ if there was no OptimisticOwl?
03-27-2016 01:40 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(03-27-2016 01:40 PM)owl95 Wrote:  
(03-27-2016 01:10 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

I like using your name in vain, so you can't go away. What would it mean to be an OptimisticOwl™ if there was no OptimisticOwl?

Well, I guess we would have nothing but "Realistic" Owls, according to some here. And that does seem to be the trend, as any hint of optimism is met with hoots of derision. Easy thing to remember, that optimism is unrealistic.

meanwhile, please don't wave donuts under my nose anymore.
03-27-2016 01:59 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Your absence was noted, if not commented on.

I reached the limit of what I could take in December, and although I kept reading, I quit posting for several months, confining myself to PM's to friends and long-time posters. I'm sure that any positive or optimistic thoughts I may have added haven't been missed as Pan95's attempts to drum up hope for next fall have generated predictable responses.

I've posted maybe a handful of times in the last month, and almost always starting a thread with a link, rather than responding to anyone or offering an undesirable opinion.

I do miss the 'old' Parliament, and RiceDoc in particular (as I know you do even more). I will also miss 13th's posts immensely , as he was/is great about keeping things in perspective about the teenage athletes we recruit that our coaches invest so much time in turning into young men.

Too many posts by me this weekend, so I'll return to hibernation. Hope your Easter was blessed Hambone.
03-27-2016 02:07 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
I wish I had a good answer or suggestion here.
Hopefully somebody will think of a fair way to limit all the negativity before we lose too many more.
03-27-2016 05:08 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(03-27-2016 05:08 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  I wish I had a good answer or suggestion here.
Hopefully somebody will think of a fair way to limit all the negativity before we lose too many more.

With regard to 13th (at least), I very much doubt it's the negativity, but rather the lack of civility by some posters. Just my 2-cents.
03-27-2016 05:16 PM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-27-2016 05:16 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(03-27-2016 05:08 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  I wish I had a good answer or suggestion here.

With regard to 13th (at least), I very much doubt it's the negativity, but rather the lack of civility by some posters. Just my 2-cents.

I would agree with you Walt, and not just for 13th, but me as well (and I imagine more than a few others).

It's one thing for an anonymous poster to say they want a change in coaches, or disagree with a strategy, it's another thing entirely to call coaches names and be disrespectful to them ( this applies to fellow posters as well).

Calling a decision stupid is an opinion. Everyone makes bad decisions. Calling a person stupid (or clown, etc) is an attack.

That's civility and that's your point I believe.
03-27-2016 05:32 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-27-2016 05:32 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(03-27-2016 05:16 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

I would agree with you Walt, and not just for 13th, but me as well (and I imagine more than a few others).

It's one thing for an anonymous poster to say they want a change in coaches, or disagree with a strategy, it's another thing entirely to call coaches names and be disrespectful to them ( this applies to fellow posters as well).

Calling a decision stupid is an opinion. Everyone makes bad decisions. Calling a person stupid (or clown, etc) is an attack.

That's civility and that's your point I believe.

Since its obvious you are referring to my comment, I guess I'll respond. For starters, I'm not anonymous. Its pretty easy to figure out who I am and a lot of people who go to the games as well as the athletic department know who I am. And if you consider the word clown to be offensive or attacking, I don't know what to say. It is criticism, for sure, but it is about as soft as can possibly be.

Regardless, it sounds like the solution to the problem is for myself (and maybe some others) to walk away and allow Parliament to become a "safe space", free of harsh criticism and dissent. Back to the days when we had people cheering on greenspan?

Cheers.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 05:53 PM by Antarius.)
03-27-2016 05:44 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for leaving, fewer posts, less engagement, etc. and those probably differ from person to person, but my $.02 on why I have fewer posts and spend less time here is that inevitably every thread has to pivot to the same few topics that are just tired and rehashing the same discussion over-and-over again.

Becomes Groundhog Day which is just not that interesting any longer. And as others leave, it becomes self-fulfilling of same folks making same arguments and taking each thread to the same tangents. Those folks are just frustrated and want Rice to win like everyone else and have passionate views on the root causes but increasingly becomes an echo chamber as other views and information/analysis gets drowned out. Sad but reality.

I'm not looking for some politically correct, don't criticize anything..but just looking for us to a) talk about Spring Football..not the last 10-years, b) talk about upcoming opponents, not how we won't be prepared, etc., etc. c) talk about what we can do...not why the current administration can't/won't do it, etc. d) look for the breadth of insight and unconventional wisdom of other Owl Fans here vs. the same old, same old.
03-27-2016 06:07 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't think the solution is to have anyone bow out. I think the solution is for everyone who posts to think about the tone and language of their posts before they post. Refraining from specific name calling, no matter how severe (or not severe), shouldn't be encouraged or condoned. Differences of opinions are good. But rarely do the opinions of people on this board venture into the real realm of idiocy, and rarely do the actions of any of our coaches actually venture into the realm of overt personal stupidity.
Ant, just because some people disagree with how you state things or how far you sometimes take things doesn't mean you should leave, but does it maybe make you think that you should reconsider how you present your arguments?
Edit: I ask because I have certainly thought about how I post because of some things that have been said.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 06:13 PM by RiceLad15.)
03-27-2016 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.