Disappointed Rockets looking ahead
03-26-2016 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
RE: Disappointed Rockets looking ahead
Cullop says that the incoming class is "arguably her best" in her tenure at UT. That's pretty encouraging.
03-26-2016 08:50 AM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Still will only have 5 upperclassmen next season, so will continue to be a young team.

I understand the young lady from Italy is very highly regarded, so let's hope she can come in and make an impact right away. Beacham should add some much needed size and depth down low.

Biggest issues this past season were rebounding and defense. Harris and Capotosto were two of the best rebounders on the team, so a lot of players are gonna have to step up in that area. Defense is the area I am still concerned about, but hopefully this season's freshmen will improve a lot in that area with a season under their belts.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2016 11:06 AM by northcoastRocket.)
03-26-2016 11:06 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-26-2016 08:50 AM)Dwight Wrote:  Cullop says that the incoming class is "arguably her best" in her tenure at UT. That's pretty encouraging.

Hopefully that will prove to be the case. Right now I would settle for a class whose members are able to contribute on the court and profitably use their 4 years of eligibility at Toledo. Coach Cullop has had a lot of bad luck with injuries and other player turnovers so the law of averages says she is past due to catch a break and maybe this is the class to break out of that mold.

I was a lot more disappointed in the last 20 seconds of regulation play against Akron than I was about the WNIT snub (which does indeed seem to be a bit of a snub). In fact I thought at the time, it might be all for the best because it has to be gut wrenching to give away a game like that with so much on the line with those careless turnovers and even before that, a failure to make a free throw that would have also iced a victory. I suspect that it would have been very difficult for the team to put a game like that totally behind them in just a few days and go out and play a WNIT game as if nothing had happened. I could see a instant replay in my mind of the UT-Akron football game of 3 years ago where one of the announcers pointed out (referring to the NIU loss the previous week) that you should never let ONE game cost you TWO losses.

Next year has a lot of potential, but several things are going to have to happen if that potential is to even come close to being realized. First and foremost is how to (and who will) replace Brenae Harris----before McIntyre begin to emerge as a scoring force well into conference play, Harris was the ONLY UT player who could be absolutely counted on to consistently play at a reasonably high level, game in and game out, and even she had a few hiccups early in the year. There were times in some games where she seemed to be the only one on the floor for UT who was not afraid to take a shot.

Obviously finding an answer to the loss of Harris will be the key to next season because she could create her own shots and was a consistent scorer who could be counted on for points every game and I don't see Prinz or Boyd doing that, at least not at present. I see Jay-Ann as a shooting guard not a point guard---if she is to play point, she will have to improve her passing skills and judgement. It would be extremely helpful to have "the next Presley Hudson" in our incoming recruiting class but getting a freshman guard who makes 2nd team All MAC in her first year is a very, very long shot at best.

Several things that would help next year's fortunes: 1) Janice Monakana needs to consistently play at the high level she has shown that she is capable of. In some games she was totally dominant while in other she simply disappeared and was MIA (sometimes on the bench with early fouls). 2) Jay-Ann had a bit of a sophomore slump so next season the Rockets need her to build on the success of her first year that made MAC FOY. 3) Four other players who saw significant playing time were Prinz, Woody, Boyd and St. Fort, all of whom were in the game for reasons other than their scoring prowess, yet both Prinz and Woody at times showed hints that they could score (Boyd also occasionally hit threes but I always cringed every time she drove to the basket in among the tall timber). If these four could become reliable point contributors while not sacrificing their "specialty" skills, this would also be a major contribution. 4) Rasmussen started her freshman year like a house on fire; however, even by the time conference play started last year her floor time had greatly diminished, a trend that continued throughout her entire sophomore year. It she could reemerge with whatever she had going for her at the start of her 1st season, it would be helpful to have that depth with yet another "big".

The center position is the one about which I am most confident in terms of point production. If McIntyre can consistently get the ball inside she is a highly efficient scoring machine, although as others have noted, she needs to work on her defense skills. Reecher provides more beef in the paint and although she does not have McIntyre's good reliable hands or the variety of smooth moves to the basket, she does have one good and reliable move to the basket so she can also score.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2016 11:15 AM by T-Town.)
03-26-2016 11:13 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
The Italian woman makes Naama look burly. Gonna need some strength building.
03-26-2016 11:20 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-26-2016 11:06 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Still will only have 5 upperclassmen next season, so will continue to be a young team.

I understand the young lady from Italy is very highly regarded, so let's hope she can come in and make an impact right away. Beacham should add some much needed size and depth down low.

Biggest issues this past season were rebounding and defense. Harris and Capotosto were two of the best rebounders on the team, so a lot of players are gonna have to step up in that area. Defense is the area I am still concerned about, but hopefully this season's freshmen will improve a lot in that area with a season under their belts.

Coaches that always talk about having a young team are really saying that their recruiting stinks.
03-26-2016 12:23 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2016 12:23 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 11:06 AM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Still will only have 5 upperclassmen next season, so will continue to be a young team.

Coaches that always talk about having a young team are really saying that their recruiting stinks.

I don't follow. Wouldn't that be more a matter of retention?
03-26-2016 12:33 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
Don't forget about Cunningham, the transfer from Murray State who will eligible this year.

Detroit, I think it's a stretch to say that Cullop's recruiting stinks (if that is what you're saying). Even at their worst, her teams have still been in the top half of the conference. I'm not saying that I'm satisfied since like most fans I want championships, but Cullop's record overall is pretty solid.
03-26-2016 12:40 PM
hwut1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-26-2016 12:40 PM)Dwight Wrote:  Don't forget about Cunningham, the transfer from Murray State who will eligible this year.

Detroit, I think it's a stretch to say that Cullop's recruiting stinks (if that is what you're saying). Even at their worst, her teams have still been in the top half of the conference. I'm not saying that I'm satisfied since like most fans I want championships, but Cullop's record overall is pretty solid.

Good points! The end seasons have not been what we wished for, but Coach Cullop's over all record is very good. That included the scheduling of higher quality teams than most coaches would attempt.

I have watched Cunningham practice all season with the team. She is not the same type of player that Harris was, but few point guards are. Since she had the opportunity to practice everyday with the team, she will know the offenses and defenses as well as her team mates. Although she isn't as smooth as Harris, she will contribute immediately.
03-26-2016 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.