Vad Lee Pro Day
03-24-2016 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chicagoduke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes
RE: Vad Lee Pro Day
(03-24-2016 10:40 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPbbHUwtsI

I love Vad as much as the next guy, but I think it's unlikely he gets drafted. I anticipate he'll get picked up as a FA and fight for a 3rd QB or practice squad spot.
03-24-2016 10:56 AM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

I Root For: JMU
Vad Lee Pro Day
We did this dance with Landers before.....Vad was great for us, but I don't see it at the next level.
03-24-2016 11:49 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-24-2016 11:49 AM)brizzock Wrote:  We did this dance with Landers before.....Vad was great for us, but I don't see it at the next level.

True, but I think Vad is a much better passer than Rodney, and played in an offensive set more attuned to the Pro game. I do agree that getting drafted is a long-shot, and he'll most likely sign as a FA.
03-24-2016 12:39 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Vad Lee Pro Day
I hope he gets signed. For his strength of character if nothing else. He deserves a shot.
03-24-2016 12:42 PM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

Fits the Canadian game very well.
03-24-2016 12:50 PM
Advertisement

JMUETC Offline
1st String

I truly feel he can be a Tyrod Taylor type. Similar talent, Vad would just need to find the perfect fit which is, admittedly, a long shot.
03-24-2016 01:07 PM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

(03-24-2016 12:50 PM)PhillyDuke Wrote:  Fits the Canadian game very well.

+1
03-24-2016 01:40 PM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

(03-24-2016 01:07 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  I truly feel he can be a Tyrod Taylor type. Similar talent, Vad would just need to find the perfect fit which is, admittedly, a long shot.

I agree, maybe the Bills will sign him to back up Tyrod just for that reason!
03-24-2016 04:40 PM
Dukes2Space Offline
Special Teams

As good as Rodney was as a college QB, Vad is way different. There's a huge difference and you can see it just in that video. It's not about completing balls to guys running routes against air. What they're looking at is head/foot action, setup, and most importantly, accuracy. Meaning, everybody at a tailgate can throw a 15 yard pass but can they consistently put it on the hands outside of the defender? Can they put it in a spot where only the receiver can catch it? Can they float it over the correct shoulder on a deep ball? Can they stand in a pocket with pressure?. This last one can only be evaluated with game tape.

I don't see any reason why Vad wouldn't get a chance. I don't know how it'll go but there's a lot of boxes checked. Pocket ability, arm strength, accuracy, movement in pocket, athleticism, intelligence. You can go on and on, but I see no reason he won't get a chance. He's checked all of those boxes.
03-24-2016 10:01 PM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(03-24-2016 10:01 PM)Dukes2Space Wrote:  As good as Rodney was as a college QB, Vad is way different. There's a huge difference and you can see it just in that video. It's not about completing balls to guys running routes against air. What they're looking at is head/foot action, setup, and most importantly, accuracy. Meaning, everybody at a tailgate can throw a 15 yard pass but can they consistently put it on the hands outside of the defender? Can they put it in a spot where only the receiver can catch it? Can they float it over the correct shoulder on a deep ball? Can they stand in a pocket with pressure?. This last one can only be evaluated with game tape.

I don't see any reason why Vad wouldn't get a chance. I don't know how it'll go but there's a lot of boxes checked. Pocket ability, arm strength, accuracy, movement in pocket, athleticism, intelligence. You can go on and on, but I see no reason he won't get a chance. He's checked all of those boxes.

Also have to look at who is out there to draft and sign as free agents. Only difference between him and Landers , VL has a little more zip in his passes and prolly a little faster when healthy. I talked with a CFL scout about VL and they want him to be Qb1 if he decides to go that route.
03-26-2016 12:20 AM
Advertisement

Dukes2Space Offline
Special Teams

(03-26-2016 12:20 AM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  
(03-24-2016 10:01 PM)Dukes2Space Wrote:  As good as Rodney was as a college QB, Vad is way different. There's a huge difference and you can see it just in that video. It's not about completing balls to guys running routes against air. What they're looking at is head/foot action, setup, and most importantly, accuracy. Meaning, everybody at a tailgate can throw a 15 yard pass but can they consistently put it on the hands outside of the defender? Can they put it in a spot where only the receiver can catch it? Can they float it over the correct shoulder on a deep ball? Can they stand in a pocket with pressure?. This last one can only be evaluated with game tape.

Also have to look at who is out there to draft and sign as free agents. Only difference between him and Landers , VL has a little more zip in his passes and prolly a little faster when healthy. I talked with a CFL scout about VL and they want him to be Qb1 if he decides to go that route.

That's honestly far from the only difference. VL learned how to read coverage. Rodney was great, but he never had to do that nor was he taught how to do so. They are night and day. Rodney was a better runner but Vad is in a different league as a passer.
03-26-2016 02:32 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(03-26-2016 02:32 AM)Dukes2Space Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 12:20 AM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  

That's honestly far from the only difference. VL learned how to read coverage. Rodney was great, but he never had to do that nor was he taught how to do so. They are night and day. Rodney was a better runner but Vad is in a different league as a passer.

Two completely different offenses and coaching philsophies. This doesnt take away from ability shown or the ability to adapt . I watch plenty two mins drills of Landers in practice , and he was VL like in those drills. I hope he gets a shot a the league , but if not QB1's in the CFL can make up to 500k.
03-26-2016 09:45 AM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Rodney was a world beater, just a phenomenal athlete, if he needed a yard, he got three. There was no stopping him with the ball in his hands and actually developed into a very efficient passer because the LB's had to respect his ability to run.

Vad Lee, imo, is the total package and the NFL team that gives him a shot will be greatly rewarded, he's a five tool qb with a 5-star head on his shoulders.
03-26-2016 02:50 PM
Dukes2Space Offline
Special Teams

(03-26-2016 02:50 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  Rodney was a world beater, just a phenomenal athlete, if he needed a yard, he got three. There was no stopping him with the ball in his hands and actually developed into a very efficient passer because the LB's had to respect his ability to run.

Vad Lee, imo, is the total package and the NFL team that gives him a shot will be greatly rewarded, he's a five tool qb with a 5-star head on his shoulders.

I agree with this. Rodney would just elude a LB and put his head down and run over a safety. He was the type of guy where you always felt like something good was going to happen with the ball in his hands because it usually did. I just think Vad is much more refined as a passer. It doesn't make any sense to me that they're talking about Carson Wentz going #2 overall in the draft and Vad Lee going undrafted. That seems insane.
03-26-2016 05:41 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Great points in comparing these two QBs.
03-27-2016 08:25 PM
Advertisement

Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(03-26-2016 05:41 PM)Dukes2Space Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 02:50 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  Rodney was a world beater, just a phenomenal athlete, if he needed a yard, he got three. There was no stopping him with the ball in his hands and actually developed into a very efficient passer because the LB's had to respect his ability to run.

I agree with this. Rodney would just elude a LB and put his head down and run over a safety. He was the type of guy where you always felt like something good was going to happen with the ball in his hands because it usually did. I just think Vad is much more refined as a passer. It doesn't make any sense to me that they're talking about Carson Wentz going #2 overall in the draft and Vad Lee going undrafted. That seems insane.

Because Went has shown he is a 5x better passer than VL. In this offense VL lead, he didn't really throw many pro/timing routes. Wentz has the build , the arm and the game tape that NFL looks for. Went is also healthy. Vernon Adams might have a better chance at being drafted than VL , and he is a much better passer also.

The last 1.5 season VL has improved but before that he was a pretty below average passer. Landers is not the athlete VL is or he would have had a better chance playing on Sundays and Landers was also 5'11-6'0.
03-27-2016 08:40 PM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

I listened to a podcast at the http://www.cleveland.com site today by Terry Pluto, a PD beat reporter. He mentioned that the Browns could have interest in Vad Lee. He also wrote a story today mentioning Lee.

I also saw Lee rated as the no. 11 QB at realgm.com. At least two other sites have very positive things to say about him that I've seen over the past several weeks.
04-26-2016 02:44 PM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

04-26-2016 03:46 PM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(04-26-2016 03:46 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2016-nfl-d...e-vad-lee/

yeah, i read this same article last week. he's right - he is higher on Vad than most. i think Vad would be doing handstands if he's picked in the 4th round. the injury caused him to not be considered for the combine. THAT hurt him. i've said for a while that i think he's a 6th-7th round draft pick, and i changed that to a 7th-undrafted after i knew he was not getting a combine invite because of the injury. don't get me wrong, i think he can play. someone is going to get a steal late in the draft or possibly he'll pick his own team as a free agent.
04-26-2016 04:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.