Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

And We Thought We Had An Impressive Level of TV Exposure
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
And We Thought We Had An Impressive Level of TV Exposure
Kevin McGuire

@KevinOnCFB

Every SEC spring game will be televised. Alabama on ESPN, Miss. St and Georgia on ESPNU. Every other game on SEC Network.
03-23-2016 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: And We Thought We Had An Impressive Level of TV Exposure
Tulsa will be aired live on the YMCA network. #bigboyfootball
03-23-2016 10:38 AM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(03-23-2016 10:16 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Kevin McGuire

@KevinOnCFB

Every SEC spring game will be televised. Alabama on ESPN, Miss. St and Georgia on ESPNU. Every other game on SEC Network.

The SEC might as well be the NFL. Not really comparable to other conferences, including the rest of the P5. That's just the reality.
03-23-2016 10:57 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-23-2016 10:57 AM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  The SEC might as well be the NFL. Not really comparable to other conferences, including the rest of the P5. That's just the reality.
The SEC isn't the NFL but it is, by every meaningful criteria/metric, professional football and MBB, albeit at a minor league/AAA kind of level.
03-23-2016 12:02 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-23-2016 10:57 AM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  
(03-23-2016 10:16 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Kevin McGuire

@KevinOnCFB

The SEC might as well be the NFL. Not really comparable to other conferences, including the rest of the P5. That's just the reality.

The following is NFL worthy for sure. What's more each of the spring games will be watched by more than the individual fan base (as the case with most schools in CFB). As an example it won't just be Alabama fans tuning in their games, it will be watched by homes all over SEC country, and for that matter the rest of the country as well. This would applies to probably every SEC with the exception of Vandy.
03-23-2016 12:19 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(03-23-2016 12:02 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(03-23-2016 10:57 AM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  The SEC might as well be the NFL. Not really comparable to other conferences, including the rest of the P5. That's just the reality.
The SEC isn't the NFL but it is, by every meaningful criteria/metric, professional football and MBB, albeit at a minor league/AAA kind of level.

"WE better not be paying these players. They suck." --Charles Barkley, proud Auburn guy.
03-23-2016 12:20 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
People in southern towns with nothing to do and few sports to watch want to know what their team is gonna look like this fall.
03-23-2016 01:11 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(03-23-2016 10:38 AM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  Tulsa will be aired live on the YMCA network. #bigboyfootball

Will there be a cotton candy vendor?
03-24-2016 10:53 AM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
Even though I usually go to ECU's spring game, to tell you the truth the game is boring as hell. There is no one to root for or against. I couldn't imagine watching someone else's spring game on tv.
03-24-2016 11:31 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Let me tell you... I can't wait to watch the Vanderbilt & Kentucky spring games!
03-24-2016 11:34 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I never thought the AAC had an impressive level of TV exposure....70% of you guys get excited because your games are on ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN3 and CBSSN.

If it isn't ABC, CBS, ESPN or to a lessor degree ESPN2, it isn't good coverage.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2016 11:45 AM by Bearcats#1.)
03-24-2016 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(03-24-2016 11:45 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I never thought the AAC had an impressive level of TV exposure....70% of you guys get excited because your games are on ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN3 and CBSSN.

I agree and disagree CBSSN and ESPN3 no one watches but the fans of those teams.

CBS, ESPN, and ABC everyone just turns to those channels to watch the best game. Those are the best TV exposure.

However ESPNews, ESPNU, and ESPN2 are usually right beside each other in channel listings and if people see a game on those channels they will watch it.
03-24-2016 11:53 AM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
I think ESPN is conspiring with my wife. Both are continuously doing things to get me out of the house. 03-phew
03-26-2016 12:17 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-24-2016 11:45 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I never thought the AAC had an impressive level of TV exposure....70% of you guys get excited because your games are on ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN3 and CBSSN.

Then the Big East never had good coverage so time to stop your constant sniveling about the AAC. It actually has better coverage than the great almighty Big East you touch yourself over.
03-26-2016 12:32 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(03-26-2016 12:32 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Then the Big East never had good coverage so time to stop your constant sniveling about the AAC. It actually has better coverage than the great almighty Big East you touch yourself over.

Why so salty? You weren't in the Big East, so don't pretend to know what we did or didn't have.
03-26-2016 12:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-26-2016 12:45 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

Why so salty? You weren't in the Big East, so don't pretend to know what we did or didn't have.

I know what the old Big East had because the first year of the AAC was under the old Big East contract....ESPN Regional was a joke. Even ESPN News beats that. I'm "salty" because the dude is a azz hat troll. The old Big East teams have legitimate gripes regarding thier current conference home--but TV exposure isn't one.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2016 03:09 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-26-2016 01:19 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline

(03-26-2016 01:19 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I know what the old Big East had because the first year of the AAC was under the old Big East contract....ESPN Regional was a joke. Even ESPN News beats that. I'm "salty" because the dude is a azz hat troll. The old Big East teams have legitimate gripes regarding thier current conference home--but TV exposure isn't one.

ESPN Regional (the "Big East Network") was not a joke for most of the Big EAst's history. Before realignment heated up, one of the regular conference wang-measuring contests was in arguing about whose syndicated TV network reached more homes. (BEN signed up an LA station for the win on that one, by the way.)

Let's translate this into Southern: You know the old Jefferson-Pilot SEC Game of the Week and ACC RAycom games? That, except in NYC, Chicago, Philly and DC, plus upstate NY, Pittsburgh, Hartford, Providence, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and TAmpa, plus out-of-market affiliates. Ten years ago that was dynamite. Syndication on that scale vs ESPN-U was a choice you had to think about.
03-26-2016 04:01 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Man, I miss "Big Monday" in basketball where at least one Big East game was the marquee ESPN game...every week. You want to dismiss the BE TV deal, how often is the AAC on prime-time ESPN???
03-26-2016 04:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-26-2016 04:01 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

ESPN Regional (the "Big East Network") was not a joke for most of the Big EAst's history. Before realignment heated up, one of the regular conference wang-measuring contests was in arguing about whose syndicated TV network reached more homes. (BEN signed up an LA station for the win on that one, by the way.)

Let's translate this into Southern: You know the old Jefferson-Pilot SEC Game of the Week and ACC RAycom games? That, except in NYC, Chicago, Philly and DC, plus upstate NY, Pittsburgh, Hartford, Providence, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and TAmpa, plus out-of-market affiliates. Ten years ago that was dynamite. Syndication on that scale vs ESPN-U was a choice you had to think about.

I get that. What you don't understand is outside of those areas--it was crickets. It's the same vodoo math that has ASN currently claiming access to something like 90 million homes. The reality is that coverage in the east was great---but outside of those areas, most of the "affiliates" were OTA UHF channels. Most of "affiliates" either did not even show the games that were being fed to them or they showed them on a digital sub-channel (usually in standard definition) that wasn't even carried on the local cable systems. That was the presence the Big East was getting outside of thier footprint with ESPN regional.

It wasn't much different than games in this area that are on Fox-SW. Inside the area it's great--outside that area, not so much. All the AAC games are at least now legitimately available a nationwide cable network in HD. In Houston, that first year was far worse than subsequent years under the new contract.

I think the existence of Big Monday is a much better point if you want to say the old deal was better. That was more of a national event. The thing is, ESPN started doing Big Monday because it worked for them. Im fairly sure it wasn't spelled out in the media deal. I mean, ESPN could do Big Monday right now with the AAC if they wanted to (they own all our rights). Its just is not nearly as attractive without the C7---and Fox is finding that the C7 isn't nearly as attractive without the big public schools. It is what it is. A league that's bringing home 20+ NCAA units a year is just a better league than what we have. That's the real issue--not the media contract. Neither side of the of the old Big East split is doing that anymore. The old Big East was considered by many to be the best basketball league in the nation for a reason.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2016 04:54 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-26-2016 04:20 PM
johnbragg Offline

(03-26-2016 04:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  [quote='johnbragg' pid='13143892' dateline='1459026084']
[quote='Attackcoog' pid='13143670' dateline='1459016367']

I get that. What you don't understand is outside of those areas--it was crickets.

I get that. I didn't pretend that the Big EAst Network was worth a damn in Houston. IF there was a Houston affiliate, I'm sure it's the sort of UHF station that ASN has now.

But it was on the air on an RSN or on a VHF OTA in NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, and a dozen other top 50 metro areas. In 2007, that was gold. In 2009, it was important enough that Swofford made sure ESPN wrote RAycom into the ACC contract. That wasn't JUST to protect his son's job at Raycom, it was because ten years ago, it was preferable to have your game on SNY or MSG or Channel 9 than on ESPN3.

Quote:That was the presence the Big East was getting outside of thier footprint with ESPN regional.

Outside the footprint, sure. But the footprint was something like 1/3 of the country.

Quote: It wasn't much different than games in this area that are on Fox-SW. Inside the area it's great--outside that area, not so much.

IT was exactly like Texas teams having their games on Fox SW. In 2011 when they signed the deal, your administrations were happy about having games on Fox Sports Southwest instead of being buried on ESPN3 if you were lucky, or playing weeknight games.

Quote:I think the existence of Big Monday is a much better point if you want to say the old deal was better.

I'm saying that the old deal, when it was signed, was at least as good as the AAC deal was when it was signed. I'm saying that syndication in 2007 was pretty sweet, compared to A) ESPN360 (now ESPN3) or B) CBS-SN or CSS or C) Nothing.

You're saying that the AAC exposure package is better than the Big East exposure package, implying that Aresco did a better job or something. I'm saying that the Big East-ESPN exposure package was great, for when it was signed. But in a fast-moving world, parts of it were thoroughly outdated by the end of the contract.

(And especially the syndication for the last year--I'm not sure local outlets were thrilled at signing up for one year of the "AAC Network" before everything went to cable. Knowing it's a one-and-done year hurts a bit.)
03-26-2016 06:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.