Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC MBB Coaching Searches! UCF, Tulane... What are you hearing?
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Getting 4 teams in the dance said a lot about basketball, since SMU wasn't even part of the group. AAC teams have been in some of the most exciting tournament games this year.
With SMU being eligible next year, it should be an interesting conference race in '17.
That said, I'm intrigued about what the new coach will do with UCF's talent. I'm also curious to see who Tulane's new AD, Troy Dannen from Northern Iowa, hires.
Tulane and UCF fans, How are the searches progressing? Brad Underwood has already made noise in this years tournament, with their upset of West Virginia. Northern Iowa is making noise. Is UCF still looking at the Stony Brook coach?

This article mentions Stony Brook’s Steve Pikiell, Monmouth’s King Rice, and ND's Martin Ingelsby as possibilities at UCF.
http://www.orlandosportsdaily.com/2016/0...new-coach/

This article mentions Underwood, Drew, Cluess, Haase, Mason, Toole, and Turner, as potentials at Tulane.
http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-...h/38531600

Whoever the picks are, I think the AAC has done a good job this year of showing off the conference.. and these young ADs seem to understand the importance of basketball. If their MBB hires reflect their choices for FB (Frost and Fritz) we're in for a fun year. Those hires would have been great for any program in the country.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2016 02:28 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-19-2016 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
RE: AAC MBB Coaching Searches! UCF, Tulane... What are you hearing?
As teams start to lose I think you will see more and more hires. Word leaked earlier today Stony Brook’s Steve Pikiell is taking the Rutgers job.
03-19-2016 02:31 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-19-2016 02:31 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  Word leaked earlier today Stony Brook’s Steve Pikiell is taking the Rutgers job.

That's a good hire. He is definitely able to build a program from the ground up.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2016 02:39 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-19-2016 02:39 PM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Brian Shaw and another NBA coach are in the mix as are a couple of other coaches. We are hearing something should be done by the end of next week.
03-19-2016 07:27 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Tulane's coaching search is similar to this...

03-19-2016 07:44 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-19-2016 02:39 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(03-19-2016 02:31 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  Word leaked earlier today Stony Brook’s Steve Pikiell is taking the Rutgers job.

That's a good hire. He is definitely able to build a program from the ground up.

Yeah, but Rutgers isn't even a "ground up" deal... They're subterranean.

Good luck on that one... Couldn't pay me enough to take on that mess.
03-19-2016 08:16 PM
Advertisement

Knightbengal Offline
All American

Oh and I forgot PJ carlisimo (sp?) is circulating as well
03-19-2016 08:45 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
This guy would not be a fit a tulane but im surprised someone hasnt given him a hc job. He is a damn good recruiter.

http://goshockers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=457&path=m_bkb
03-19-2016 08:54 PM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

(03-19-2016 08:54 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  This guy would not be a fit a tulane but im surprised someone hasnt given him a hc job. He is a damn good recruiter.

http://goshockers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=457&path=m_bkb

As we found out with Donnie, recruiting isn't everything.
03-19-2016 10:35 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
The good news for UCF is that we have a basketball guy as an AD. If Stansbury had been making this choice I'd be worried. Danny White will get the right type of coach for UCF.
03-20-2016 07:58 AM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I've heard nothing. But seasons of what would seem to be possibilities are winding down this weekend, so some stuff should come out.
Those names sound good. It's hard to tell. So many of these coaches have a big year in a mid/low major conference and they flop at the next job. I like the way Beard coaches his team...they play defense. He may have some staying power, but it's hard to tell about the recruiting end.
We have got to be able to use JCs. Need them to energize the team quickly and to fill holes once it gets going. Given that Tulane will not sign JCs who didn't qualify out of high school, that means you have to get them from California, where a JC is a common landing spot for academically qualified players who didn't get the FBS offer they wanted; in the south and southeast, these players go to leagues that play FCS football, and the JCs consist of players who didn't qualify. Thus, I think we need someone with Cal connections or who will hire assistants with them.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 09:03 AM by DrBox.)
03-20-2016 08:59 AM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-20-2016 08:59 AM)DrBox Wrote:  I've heard nothing. But seasons of what would seem to be possibilities are winding down this weekend, so some stuff should come out.
Those names sound good. It's hard to tell. So many of these coaches have a big year in a mid/low major conference and they flop at the next job. I like the way Beard coaches his team...they play defense. He may have some staying power, but it's hard to tell about the recruiting end.
We have got to be able to use JCs. Need them to energize the team quickly and to fill holes once it gets going. Given that Tulane will not sign JCs who didn't qualify out of high school, that means you have to get them from California, where a JC is a common landing spot for academically qualified players who didn't get the FBS offer they wanted; in the south and southeast, these players go to leagues that play FCS football, and the JCs consist of players who didn't qualify. Thus, I think we need someone with Cal connections or who will hire assistants with them.

My thinking is that tulane would not take a juco period. But if you would the bio i posted would be a good one. He has very good juco contacts. You guys should give Greg Heir a look.
03-20-2016 09:40 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
03-20-2016 09:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrBox Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2016 09:49 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Roman Banks or Mike Davis...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Banks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Davis...all_coach)
Not you too? Must be the same Memphis fan that posts on the TU board.
No and no.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 10:00 AM by DrBox.)
03-20-2016 09:57 AM
Wavetime Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2016 07:44 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Tulane's coaching search is similar to this...

Ya know Bearcats#1, I have to admit, you are funny and really do care. Thanks for the attention. I really do look forward to getting back to the Perry Clark/Bob Huggins competitive days. I know this has been on Tulane, but we are putting our money where our mouth is these days....
03-20-2016 10:02 AM
Wavetime Offline
Special Teams

Our AD said that he would he would like to hire a coach by the Final Four weekend. The paper lists some potential candidates in their opinion.

http://sportsnola.com/fifteen-for-tulane...andidates/

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspor...ball-coach
03-20-2016 10:09 AM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-20-2016 10:09 AM)Wavetime Wrote:  Our AD said that he would he would like to hire a coach by the Final Four weekend. The paper lists some potential candidates in their opinion.

Very nice!! 04-cheers
03-20-2016 10:52 AM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

(03-20-2016 08:59 AM)DrBox Wrote:  I've heard nothing. But seasons of what would seem to be possibilities are winding down this weekend, so some stuff should come out.

I think Tulane is in pretty good shape even though it’s been quiet. Your program did the toughest part by cutting loose your coach, now they are free to have serious discussions. As the mid majors drop out of the NCAA or NIT I think you will see some quick hires like Rutgers did with the guy from Stony Brook as soon as they were eliminated.
03-20-2016 11:01 AM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

(03-20-2016 10:09 AM)Wavetime Wrote:  Our AD said that he would he would like to hire a coach by the Final Four weekend. The paper lists some potential candidates in their opinion.

Good stuff. The only name on that list i would say to stay away from is King Rice. The guy can coach but he's not the best guy to be representing a quality institution like Tulane. IMO he's a powder keg of stupidity that has the potential to go off at any time. Again, just my opinion.
03-20-2016 11:05 AM
Tim Johnson Offline
2nd String

I Root For: cincinnati
(03-19-2016 08:16 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(03-19-2016 02:39 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Yeah, but Rutgers isn't even a "ground up" deal... They're subterranean.

Good luck on that one... Couldn't pay me enough to take on that mess.

Steve must be a gluten for serious punishment.
03-20-2016 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.