Open TigerLinks

I don't recall ever being more disappointed in a coaching decision
Bookmark and Share
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
I don't recall ever being more disappointed in a coaching decision
There have been bad decisions made before but AT THE TIME THE DECISION WAS MADE, I can't remember ever being more disappointed over one than keeping Pastner.

Rey Dempsey was a horrific hire but at the time he was hired we didn't know it. There is a 7 year track record with Pastner. We know exactly what we're getting.

Remember this is not a 10.6 M dollar decision. This is a 4-6 million dollar decision (money for new coach).

I'm not convinced that Pastner is just here for next year. I think he's here for 2-3 more years.

This is no longer the University's team or the city's team or the rank and file season ticket holder's team. It's a handful of booster's team. Change the name on the jersey. The rank and file fan counts for nothing other than a cost defrayer.

Bowen and Rudd have no say so. They may not have had more than cursory and polite inclusion in this decision. There was no comprehensive review of the program beyond a phone call between a handful of big boosters. It's nothing more than a shameful farce at this point.

Some of you can continue to fool yourselves if you want to but if the 2/3 empty Fed Ex Forum from last year meant nothing then what will? If you think your support means anything then think again. They don't care if you do or don't.

Name a single time when forcing a coach to hire a new staff of 'experienced assistants' has ever worked. It rarely happens and it never works.
03-19-2016 07:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: I don't recall ever being more disappointed in a coaching decision
When you get all the information about why this decision was made you will get it. Be assured that Rudd and Bowen are not big money puppets. Although this is certainly a calculated financial decision with risk and some known downside you can't blame people for having reservations for throwing millions on the table to say good bye to someone. On a smaller scale we have lots of people taking money away from the program over the opposite side of the same discussion.

As for bad coaching hires we've made several.
Lots of people said Dempsey was nuts and awful for us.
Lots of people said Porter had no coaching skills.
Lots of people thought we were crazy to hire Tic Price.
Lots of people thought Dana Kirk would be a mistake and it was for different reasons W-L.

It's a painful time in BB at the U of M. It will get better and I'm willing to ride it out.
03-19-2016 08:00 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-19-2016 08:00 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  When you get all the information about why this decision was made you will get it.

Do you have this information?
03-19-2016 08:02 AM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

You do know that no matter how many threads you make about this it's not going to change anything right?
03-19-2016 08:10 AM
Advertisement

TigerPhil Offline
Banned

(03-19-2016 07:41 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  There have been bad decisions made before but AT THE TIME THE DECISION WAS MADE, I can't remember ever being more disappointed over one than keeping Pastner.

Rey Dempsey was a horrific hire but at the time he was hired we didn't know it. There is a 7 year track record with Pastner. We know exactly what we're getting.

Remember this is not a 10.6 M dollar decision. This is a 4-6 million dollar decision (money for new coach).

I'm not convinced that Pastner is just here for next year. I think he's here for 2-3 more years.

This is no longer the University's team or the city's team or the rank and file season ticket holder's team. It's a handful of booster's team. Change the name on the jersey. The rank and file fan counts for nothing other than a cost defrayer.

Bowen and Rudd have no say so. They may not have had more than cursory and polite inclusion in this decision. There was no comprehensive review of the program beyond a phone call between a handful of big boosters. It's nothing more than a shameful farce at this point.

Some of you can continue to fool yourselves if you want to but if the 2/3 empty Fed Ex Forum from last year meant nothing then what will? If you think your support means anything then think again. They don't care if you do or don't.

Name a single time when forcing a coach to hire a new staff of 'experienced assistants' has ever worked. It rarely happens and it never works.
Bluebacker I have read several of your posts, yesterday, last night, and this morning. You are without question a passionate Tiger fan. I am too. I agree with you. You're clearly upset and I don't blame you. We have have every reason to be upset. I know I am. I'm 50% mad and 50% sad. It seems to me that by all reasonable standards Josh should have lost his job. But because a few very wealthy boosters like Josh personally and threaten to stop giving money to the university, they get their way. Basically telling long time fans and season ticket holders they don't care one bit about us. The masses have spoken and basically voted for a change, however we aren't getting a change. We are dictated to. It's very sad for me personally. I love Tiger basketball but I truly feel like something very dear and meaningful to me has been taken away. It's like a family member that you love passing away, but it's more like a family member that you love being taken away and killed. It leaves you angry and sad--tore up inside. Obviously, losing a loved one is more important than Tiger basketball. But this does hurt and I'm obviously not alone. They are taking a square peg and forcing it down a circle hole and telling you it fits just fine and more over you need to keep your mouth shut and like it---oh and they need your money too. Not me, I'm DONE for however long Josh is here. I will have to get over this and move on. I won't be able to do this daily because for myself it's like torture. I have to have peace of mind and in my heart and for myself, I won't get that peace by beating this drum for a whole year and then waiting to see if there will be a change this time next year. I can't do it. But Bluebacker I really like your posts and passion for the Tigers. You are a good fan and clearly know the game of college hoops well. I salute you!!
03-19-2016 08:29 AM
innman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-19-2016 07:41 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  There have been bad decisions made before but AT THE TIME THE DECISION WAS MADE, I can't remember ever being more disappointed over one than keeping Pastner.

Look I appreciate that you are frustrated and upset but come on you have create a ton of threads all saying the same thing with different examples. Like it or not the deed is done we have another year or two of being what we are or will be. Get out of the house and enjoy life.. Go u
03-19-2016 08:38 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-19-2016 08:10 AM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  You do know that no matter how many threads you make about this it's not going to change anything right?

Yes, after the decision to keep Paz, I do realize that nothing you, I or any of the rank and file fans says or does matters or will change anything.
03-19-2016 08:42 AM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-19-2016 08:38 AM)innman Wrote:  

Look I appreciate that you are frustrated and upset but come on you have create a ton of threads all saying the same thing with different examples. Like it or not the deed is done we have another year or two of being what we are or will be. Get out of the house and enjoy life.. Go u

I will eventually, lol. This retention decision is like a case of diarrhea in that it will have to run its course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYrirzo3NsE

I'll be commenting on the roster, the new assistant coaches, etc. as things happen.

I expect nothing good as long as Gumdrop is the coach and, in fact, will be rooting against him.

May as well enjoy the **** show for what it is.
03-19-2016 08:48 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-19-2016 08:00 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  When you get all the information about why this decision was made you will get it. Be assured that Rudd and Bowen are not big money puppets. Although this is certainly a calculated financial decision with risk and some known downside you can't blame people for having reservations for throwing millions on the table to say good bye to someone. On a smaller scale we have lots of people taking money away from the program over the opposite side of the same discussion.

Lots of people thought Dana Kirk would be a mistake and it was for different reasons W-L.

It's a painful time in BB at the U of M. It will get better and I'm willing to ride it out.

Smart man. Good post.
03-19-2016 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(03-19-2016 12:27 PM)Strat57 Wrote:  
(03-19-2016 08:00 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  When you get all the information about why this decision was made you will get it. Be assured that Rudd and Bowen are not big money puppets. Although this is certainly a calculated financial decision with risk and some known downside you can't blame people for having reservations for throwing millions on the table to say good bye to someone. On a smaller scale we have lots of people taking money away from the program over the opposite side of the same discussion.

Smart man. Good post.

Not really. Did any of the above coaches get a ridiculous extension ?
03-19-2016 01:07 PM
Advertisement

450bench Online

(03-19-2016 01:07 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Smart man. Good post.

In a word, no.
03-19-2016 02:01 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I was disappointed in the Pastner hire, but after the first year I thought maybe they made a good hire. That was quickly washed away with the way he treated his players the second year.
03-19-2016 04:23 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(03-19-2016 02:01 PM)450bench Wrote:  

Smart man. Good post.

In a word, no.

Dana probably never got a raise. Maybe if he has he wouldn't have had to charge for drinks at his camp
03-19-2016 04:32 PM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-19-2016 04:32 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(03-19-2016 02:01 PM)450bench Wrote:  

Smart man. Good post.

In a word, no.

Dana probably never got a raise. Maybe if he has he wouldn't have had to charge for drinks at his camp

I think he got a couple of raises. Of course, the check back then was so much smaller. I don't recall what he made but I know Bartow made less than $25,000 his last year here. Huge difference now.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2016 06:50 PM by Strat57.)
03-19-2016 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.