Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Video: Western Michigan is gROWing
Bookmark and Share
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
Video: Western Michigan is gROWing
A look at what the competition is up to...
http://footballscoop.com/news/video-west...s-growing/
03-16-2016 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Video: Western Michigan is gROWing
(03-16-2016 09:55 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  A look at what the competition is up to...

They still SUCK, just like BG.
03-16-2016 10:01 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-16-2016 10:01 AM)FrickerRon Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 09:55 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  A look at what the competition is up to...

Did I miss something? I didn't see any new facilities.

BTW, I've been through every inch of Larimer, and it is first class. Move on.
03-16-2016 01:24 PM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

We really can't comment on what they're doing to promote their program, because they have continued to get better each year, tying for 1st place in the MAC West this year. While the Rockets continue to struggle in November, going just .500 over the last 4 seasons.
03-16-2016 02:18 PM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:

Where were you last November 27th? You must have missed that farce held at the Glass Bowl that afternoon.
03-16-2016 02:54 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Campbell and his agent had his bags packed after 5-0.
03-16-2016 06:31 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2016 06:31 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Campbell and his agent had his bags packed after 5-0.

While Campbell was being run over by a row-boat, the ISU AD was tossing Campbell family unmentionables into a suitcase.
03-16-2016 08:57 PM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-16-2016 08:57 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 06:31 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Campbell and his agent had his bags packed after 5-0.

While Campbell was being run over by a row-boat, the ISU AD was tossing Campbell family unmentionables into a suitcase.

True enough, but unfortunately the official listing of MACC games is not going to have an asterisk beside the 2015 result with a footnote saying something to the effect: "Toledo, the highest rated team in the league that year based on AP polling and a team that had readily defeated eventual MAC Champion BG only a couple of weeks prior to the championship game did not qualify for the championship game having been upset at home in their final game of the season the previous week because their young, ambitious and upwardly mobile coach was so preoccupied with getting a new P5 HC job that he did not have time to adequately prepare his team for what at that point was their biggest game of the season."

Unfortunately, BG has the MACC Trophy and all UT has is regrets and excuses. OTOH, fortunately (unlike BG), UT was over the trauma of the coaching departure by the time of their Bowl Game.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 09:49 PM by T-Town.)
03-16-2016 09:44 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2016 09:44 PM)T-Town Wrote:  

True enough, but unfortunately the official listing of MACC games is not going to have an asterisk beside the 2015 result with a footnote saying something to the effect: "Toledo, the highest rated team in the league that year based on AP polling and a team that had readily defeated eventual MAC Champion BG only a couple of weeks prior to the championship game did not qualify for the championship game having been upset at home in their final game of the season the previous week because their young, ambitious and upwardly mobile coach was so preoccupied with getting a new P5 HC job that he did not have time to adequately prepare his team for what at that point was their biggest game of the season."

Unfortunately, BG has the MACC Trophy and all UT has is regrets and excuses. OTOH, fortunately (unlike BG), UT was over the trauma of the coaching departure by the time of their Bowl Game.

Biggest game in a DECADE if not longer.

sigh
03-16-2016 09:52 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
...let's not forget - he had 2 biggest games of the season in the Glass Bowl last year - and lost both of them. The ONLY 2 losses of the year. both at home. Either of which would have clinched the championship....

Then he raids the recruits. He's proven how much Toledo meant to him. Absolutely nothing. Just a means to a better ending. Period.
03-16-2016 10:28 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

The wins over #18 Arkansas and #24 Temple did more for Toledo's national recognition than a MACC did for BG last season. Nationally, more
people remember a good UT FB team won over Penn State than the fact Marshall, whom the Rockets beat 42-0 beat WMU for the MACC in 2000.
The same will go for last season. A great season record, a MACC, a Bowl would have been the trifecta last season, but I wouldn't trade UT's 2015 FB season/Bowl win for BG's MACC and embarrassing Bowl loss.
03-16-2016 11:13 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

If Fleck moves on and he will move on, what happens at the Zoo? Can they sustained what UT has done in the last decade?
03-17-2016 04:55 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-16-2016 11:13 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

The wins over #18 Arkansas and #24 Temple did more for Toledo's national recognition than a MACC did for BG last season. Nationally, more
people remember a good UT FB team won over Penn State than the fact Marshall, whom the Rockets beat 42-0 beat WMU for the MACC in 2000.
The same will go for last season. A great season record, a MACC, a Bowl would have been the trifecta last season, but I wouldn't trade UT's 2015 FB season/Bowl win for BG's MACC and embarrassing Bowl loss.

Big wins may do more for national recognition than championships particularly at the G5 level but national recognition is a fleeting thing that must be frequently maintained and refreshed to remain relevant whereas championships are placed in the record books and are permanent. They are also frequently cited. For example, when people talk about NIU football they frequently mention NIU being in the past 6 MACC game. When people talk about BG football they frequently mention BG has won the MACC two of the past three years.

I also put a high value on the wins over Arkansas and Temple because they were against favored teams on the road, so I would also decline the hypothetical (imaginary) opportunity to swap them for wins over NIU and WMU because those latter two were games at home against underdogs and that should have been easier victories.

Still Championships do matter and last year, although certainly not a done deal, there was also the distinct possibility of an access bowl for the Rockets lingering out there which would have really grabbed some national attention.

As I have said elsewhere, last year was a very good and memorable year for Rocket football; however, it had the possibility of being a very, very, special year and that did not happen---which is too bad because those opportunities do not present themselves very often and it is a shame when they are missed.
03-17-2016 08:10 AM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-17-2016 04:55 AM)Springboromark Wrote:  If Fleck moves on and he will move on, what happens at the Zoo? Can they sustained what UT has done in the last decade?

Without Fleck they can probably duplicate UT past decade without a MACC but sustaining the rest is questionable.

Although WMU upset the Rockets at home last season, with Fleck I have noticed that WMU has a tendency to self destruct, particularity at key junctures in important games. I believe that this tendency is real but I can't say whether it is a permanent inherent flaw in their coaching or just a temporary function of having young players who will correct this with time.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2016 10:42 AM by T-Town.)
03-17-2016 08:23 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(03-16-2016 11:13 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  The wins over #18 Arkansas and #24 Temple did more for Toledo's national recognition than a MACC did for BG last season. Nationally, more

This is how I feel, as well. The only thing I would say is that, with those OOC wins, there is an expectation that he should have been able to win at least one of those 2 home games against MAC teams. Whatever the reason is that he did not--I just hope he took it with him.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2016 09:36 AM by Toledo Football 1st.)
03-17-2016 09:36 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(03-17-2016 09:36 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 11:13 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  The wins over #18 Arkansas and #24 Temple did more for Toledo's national recognition than a MACC did for BG last season. Nationally, more

This is how I feel, as well. The only thing I would say is that, with those OOC wins, there is an expectation that he should have been able to win at least one of those 2 home games against MAC teams. Whatever the reason is that he did not--I just hope he took it with him.

Should have won both those games. I put those losses on the HC. WMU and NIU were not better teams than the Arkansas team the Rockets beat on the road.

Starting a new year with a clean slate and plenty of talent.
03-17-2016 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.