Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vegas 16. Who's going?
Bookmark and Share
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Vegas 16. Who's going?
I am stoked. It couldn't have POSSIBLY worked out any better for me and my schedule with a 2:30 game on Monday!

I already bought my tickets. I'll be the guy in the stands with the two little blonde boys - all of us decked out in our NIU crap. I don't know how many NIU folk will make the trek, but my kids and I will try to represent as best we can. I would imagine Santa Barbara is going to outnumber us significantly.
03-15-2016 12:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

northernbear1 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Vegas 16. Who's going?
I have a feeling you will have the place to yourself.
03-15-2016 09:33 AM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

(03-15-2016 09:33 AM)northernbear1 Wrote:  I have a feeling you will have the place to yourself.

Yeah, I know. I was kidding with the post. I have visions that, outside of the contingency the team brings, I will be the sole NIU fan in the stands.

It's okay, though. I've been looking to get an audience with Mr. Frazier for some time now, so I'll be able to give him an earful about the state of the football program!
03-15-2016 10:21 AM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(03-15-2016 10:21 AM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 09:33 AM)northernbear1 Wrote:  I have a feeling you will have the place to yourself.

Yeah, I know. I was kidding with the post. I have visions that, outside of the contingency the team brings, I will be the sole NIU fan in the stands.

It's okay, though. I've been looking to get an audience with Mr. Frazier for some time now, so I'll be able to give him an earful about the state of the football program!

1....start the wave.

2.... make a sign with a shout out to the NIU Dog Pound!!!!!!

02-13-banana
03-15-2016 10:39 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Sneak into the seats behind the team and get pictures with the kids with the players!
03-15-2016 11:05 AM
Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

I'm debating heading out there.
03-15-2016 01:18 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

I felt alone in Cleveland. I could not believe the lack of NIU presence. Obviously a brutal tough trip on a weeknight for an 8 hour drive but there was probably only 50 NIU fans at the game
03-15-2016 02:00 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(03-15-2016 02:00 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

I felt alone in Cleveland. I could not believe the lack of NIU presence. Obviously a brutal tough trip on a weeknight for an 8 hour drive but there was probably only 50 NIU fans at the game

Cleveland is too far of a trip for a single game of MAC basketball that doesn't have a championship on the line for most fans.
03-15-2016 02:01 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-15-2016 02:01 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(03-15-2016 02:00 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Cleveland is too far of a trip for a single game of MAC basketball that doesn't have a championship on the line for most fans.

I figured there would be more there just considering family members going though
03-15-2016 02:02 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Utah Huskies are looking at the calendar to make it work...
03-15-2016 02:11 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

I'm not sure if the telecast truly represented how sparse the crowd was at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. I've never experienced anything like it. This is not hyperbole - I literally could have walked around the stadium and introduced myself to everyone in attendance and remembered each person. There was virtually no one in the stands. It was really an interesting experience and I'm happy I went (minus the second half collapse).

We could hear every squeak of a sneaker, every comment made by a player, what the coaches were saying to the referees, etc. It had the feeling of a closed practice session, only the national media and television crews were there to report and broadcast. I would imagine this would have sort of been the vibe during that Oriole game in Baltimore last year during the riots when they played the game with no one in attendance.

* The Huskie kids don't talk a lot on the court. I was surprised how quiet they are. Maric far and away is the most vocal. He was the guy who was communicating the most and had the most energy.

* Defensively, they were sound. The team was doing a good job on their switches and were not getting beat by bad positioning. Monty was very happy with their defensive effort and he should have been.

* The team always seemed more cohesive when Orris was on the court. He's not much of a threat to do anything offensively, but he seems to have a certain presence that benefited the team.

* I liked Wilson (#0). I don't watch much Huskie basketball, obviously, so I could be off base on this, but I liked his athletic ability and he seemed to have some moxie.

* My six year old was picked to play musical chairs at halftime. He beat the other six competitors and won a selfie stick. He was pretty excited about it!

* Santa Barbara fans are incredibly friendly. They were as gracious a group of people as one would ever imagine.

* The UCSB coach was very chill, too. There was a sequence in the first half when one of the Santa Barbara kids got teed up after a missed call. The ref must have misunderstood and got it wrong - the kid didn't say anything bad. We all heard it, including their coach. Most coaches would have lost their s**t, but he was super calm about it.

* We ran into Mike Orris after the game. Very nice kid. Recognized us from the stands and made a point to say hello to me and my boys.

* Aaric Armstead was nice, too. Saw him out in the hallway as well and I pointed out to my boys that he is a starter on NIU. He got a kick out of that. After that he went over and greeted his family.

* Felt terrible when I saw who Armstead's family was. They were the folks sitting right behind me who I was chatting with most of the game. I didn't know Aaric was their son. I made a few comments about his poor shot selection throughout the game.

* All in all, I was mostly impressed with the Huskies. I thought they played well, they just missed way too many easy looks and they shot very poorly from the perimeter. I walk away with a very favorable opinion of Montgomery. I respect the way he handled himself, how he addressed his team, what he had to say during huddles.

* Shame more Huskie fans didn't make the trip out to Vegas. I think every Huskie hoops fan would have really enjoyed this tournament and perhaps a little better support might have made a difference.
03-28-2016 11:04 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-28-2016 11:04 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  * Felt terrible when I saw who Armstead's family was. They were the folks sitting right behind me who I was chatting with most of the game. I didn't know Aaric was their son. I made a few comments about his poor shot selection throughout the game.

hahah wow, don't worry though I am sure they run into this from time to time.

Thanks for the recap, and the environment did come through on TV, it looked/felt bleak watching. I really feel like Porter has turned some type of corner from an attitude perspective, maybe Coach Monty deserves some credit for that. Bodes well going into next season.
03-28-2016 11:26 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

(03-28-2016 11:26 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(03-28-2016 11:04 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  * Felt terrible when I saw who Armstead's family was. They were the folks sitting right behind me who I was chatting with most of the game. I didn't know Aaric was their son. I made a few comments about his poor shot selection throughout the game.

Thanks for the recap, and the environment did come through on TV, it looked/felt bleak watching. I really feel like Porter has turned some type of corner from an attitude perspective, maybe Coach Monty deserves some credit for that. Bodes well going into next season.

One other comment, MD. I was a little surprised when I read some of the impressions people had of the game in a different thread. The general consensus seemed to be the Maric looked hurt and somewhat ineffective on the court.

I didn't get that at all. I thought he had energy and looked lively. His presence on the low post and the attention he garnered seemed to open up the Huskie offense when he was on the court. Defensively, he was able to make switches after picks and get back to his positioning when necessary. He has a nice touch on his shot, as well. I like this kid. I look forward to seeing his progress next season.
03-28-2016 11:44 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-28-2016 11:44 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  
(03-28-2016 11:26 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

One other comment, MD. I was a little surprised when I read some of the impressions people had of the game in a different thread. The general consensus seemed to be the Maric looked hurt and somewhat ineffective on the court.

I didn't get that at all. I thought he had energy and looked lively. His presence on the low post and the attention he garnered seemed to open up the Huskie offense when he was on the court. Defensively, he was able to make switches after picks and get back to his positioning when necessary. He has a nice touch on his shot, as well. I like this kid. I look forward to seeing his progress next season.

Interesting! Its hard to know what his injury status is because he kind of looks like he is in pain moving when he is healthy. I agree his future is bright, but it sure would be nice to have some depth behind him
03-29-2016 12:47 AM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
Maric only took one shot and missed it. His free-throw shooting was good. The players are quiet on the court. They need a leader out there that communicates. Also, Aaric Armsted was taking terrible shots. When you are quiet out there you have a tendency to play as individuals instead of as a team. They must fix this!
03-29-2016 02:00 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-29-2016 02:00 AM)dekalb222 Wrote:  Maric only took one shot and missed it. His free-throw shooting was good. The players are quiet on the court. They need a leader out there that communicates. Also, Aaric Armsted was taking terrible shots. When you are quiet out there you have a tendency to play as individuals instead of as a team. They must fix this!

Next year I have a feeling Armstead will play a role more like his brother did at NIU, find a spot on the perimeter and wait to see if you get a kickout from one of the guards and be mainly a shooter. He won't be required to handle the ball as much next season. NIU will be a much better dribble penetration team next year and that should free Armstead up for some open looks without handling the ball much. Totally agree with you dekalb222 about playing as individuals, particularly Wilson. It seems at times it is almost as if he does not see anyone else on the court. So much raw talent, hopefully he will blend into a team framework. This is a very exciting team going forward, plenty of question marks, but an extremely high ceiling.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2016 02:49 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
03-29-2016 02:45 AM
Advertisement

thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Vegas 16. Who's going?
Maric is hands-down the vocal leader on this team. Critical he stays healthy and is on the floor.

Also need a guard to take some sort of team leadership/vocal role on the floor.

They're all so young. At this point I have to think think the likely guy is Porter. I think he enjoys making a great assist as much as a basket.

There's no question Wilson can score but I think there's a reason MM started Porter started yesterday.
03-29-2016 07:14 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-29-2016 07:14 AM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Maric is hands-down the vocal leader on this team. Critical he stays healthy and is on the floor.

They're all so young. At this point I have to think think the likely guy is Porter. I think he enjoys making a great assist as much as a basket.

There's no question Wilson can score but I think there's a reason MM started Porter started yesterday.

I think Highsmith will emerge as the leader next year, and German with his freakish ability may just lead by example.
03-29-2016 07:49 AM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

(03-29-2016 07:49 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(03-29-2016 07:14 AM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Maric is hands-down the vocal leader on this team. Critical he stays healthy and is on the floor.

I think Highsmith will emerge as the leader next year, and German with his freakish ability may just lead by example.

Lmao you sure know how to give me a good laugh every morning I check this forum.
03-29-2016 08:55 AM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Did Highsmith actually play last night? I didn't watch the whole thing, but never saw him. Stats are saying something else though:

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-baskb...28-16.html

Zelis never played either, strange.
03-29-2016 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.