Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAAT First Four Question...
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
NCAAT First Four Question...
I've never been a fan of the First Four. However, this seems odd to me.

The winner of game 1 moves on to play the #1 seed in the west
The winner of game 2 moves on to play the #1 seed in the east
The winner of game 3 moves on to play the #6 seed in the south
The winner of game 4 moves on to play the #6 seed in the east

Why are there 2 in the east?

Why are some coming in as 11 seeds (game 3, 4)? If they really are the first four, shouldn't they all come in as the 16 seed in that region?
03-14-2016 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: NCAAT First Four Question...
(03-14-2016 12:37 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I've never been a fan of the First Four. However, this seems odd to me.

Why are some coming in as 11 seeds (game 3, 4)? If they really are the first four, shouldn't they all come in as the 16 seed in that region?

Because some auto qualifiers are worse than at large teams. Why should a 1 seed have to face Wichita or Vandy instead of Holy Cross?
03-14-2016 12:47 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(03-14-2016 12:47 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 12:37 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I've never been a fan of the First Four. However, this seems odd to me.

Because some auto qualifiers are worse than at large teams. Why should a 1 seed have to face Wichita or Vandy instead of Holy Cross?

I think a lot of it has to do with the 1st round (2nd round officially) sites. You don't want a team playing in Dayton late Tuesday and then having to get on a plane for an early game Thursday on the west coast.
03-14-2016 01:32 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa

It's all a big compromise. When the tourney expanded to 68 teams, they could not agree on who should be in the play-in games. Some thought it should all 16 seeds. Some thought it should the last 8 at at large teams. So they compromised and made half the play-in games 16 vs.16, and the other 2 games feature the last 4 at-large teams invited.

See the other thread called AM I the only one who wants to replace 16-16 games with 10-10 games?
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2016 03:37 AM by goofus.)
03-15-2016 03:33 AM
Advertisement

Aztec Since 88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: San Diego State
Personally, I think it should be the last 8 to receive an at large bids playing in the first four games. The first four match ups would be compelling games the that appeal to whole country. IMO an auto-bid should get you into the tournament field of 64. How many people really care outside of the respective alumni of the schools playing the game in the match-up of 16 seeds? Lastly, if the NCAAT is going to let the little guy in the tournament let them play the blue bloods and see if they can be Cinderella.

One other change I would make it to have two sites for the first four. Keep Dayton for Tuesday and have a western site like Albuquerque or Boise for Wednesday. This way any team that is an at large team in the First Four won't get get play on their home floor and they can set up easy travel to the Thursday and Friday sites.
03-15-2016 02:41 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Aztec: I completely concur with your post!! Splitting the "play in" games makes too much sense.
03-15-2016 02:48 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: NCAAT First Four Question...

Because basketball is just stupid
03-15-2016 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.