I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
A-10 champion Hawks get Cincinnati in Spokane
[Image: phillydotcom-logo2.svg]

A-10 champion Hawks get Cincinnati in Spokane
Updated: March 13, 2016 — 8:54 PM EDT

by Mike Kern, STAFF WRITER. @mikekerndn

NEW YORK - Moments.

For Saint Joseph's coach Phil Martelli, that's what holds the most meaning.

On Sunday, his Hawks gave him some indelible snapshots. That's how it is when you cut down nets.

"The basketball, like that was special," he said in midafternoon, after his team won the Atlantic 10 championship at Brooklyn's Barclays Center, 87-74 over Virginia Commonwealth. "For these guys to go through that . . . it's forever."

Four hours later, back at their hotel, they learned who they're playing next, and where. But for him, the lasting memory already had happened.

"Sixty-eight names are going to get called," he said. "But only one is going as the 2016 Atlantic 10 champion. And they're going to take 68 next year.

"That feeling pales in comparison to the feeling (of hoisting a trophy)."

Especially when it's your second in three years, and it comes against the defending champ.

But then it was time to start looking ahead.

The Hawks (27-7), the eighth seed in the West Regional, drew ninth-seeded Cincinnati (22-10) in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament Friday night in Spokane, Wash. The winner will get either top seed Oregon (28-6) or the survivor of Wednesday's play-in game between Holy Cross (14-19) and Southern (22-12), on Sunday.

"I didn't spend any time looking at anything," said Martelli, after the pairing was revealed on CBS. "(ESPN bracketologist) Joe Lunardi was on the bus with us, and I asked him what he had. He said a seven in Brooklyn. Look, I have no say with what goes on in that (selection-committee) room. Nor does any other coach. They have all the analytics and all the numbers. That's what they chose.

"I'm disappointed for the (players') families. They're very, very loving. That'll be a tough trip (for them to make)."

There's been a lot to love. The Hawks went from 13 wins last season to the second-most wins in program history, behind only the 2003-04 group that, of course, went 30-2 and got to the Final Eight.

"To see the tears in DeAndre' Bembry's eyes on the floor (after the game), that was cool," Martelli said.

This is his seventh trip to the NCAAs. The Hawks were also a four seed in the A-10 Tournament when they beat VCU in the 2014 final. Then they nearly beat eventual national champ Connecticut in their four-letter opener as a 10 seed. They haven't won an NCAA Tournament game since 2004.

These guys were picked to finish seventh in their conference.

"We don't really care who we're playing," said Bembry, a junior forward and A-10 Player of the Year, who scored 30 on 13-for-16 shooting against VCU. "We're a confident team. We're coming off three straight wins (here). We've had a crazy year. Right now, we're not looking forward to having it end.

"The way I look at it, any team that's in is good enough (to beat anyone else). We feel we can win, literally, every game. We took the Atlantic 10 (tourney) one at a time. We beat three good teams. Now we're going to have to beat some more. We know we're good. We're not surprised we won the title."

Temple, which got in as a 10 seed in the South, beat AAC rival Cincy twice. Martelli is tight with Owl coach Fran Dunphy. That doesn't mean he's going to be asking for any scouting reports.

"I wouldn't put him in that position," Martelli said. "He might offer me a thing or two. There's league loyalty, and there's city loyalty. I'm not saying my relationship with Dunph trumps his obligation to the (American Conference).

"I know (the Bearcats) really play a fierce style. And I know they're good enough to be in this tournament."

The Hawks are at least familiar with going to Spokane, having played Gonzaga three times out there. The last two didn't go very well.

"(This time) we're going as champions," Martelli said. "Every kid on that team has a (potential) tattoo now. That's theirs."

Isaiah Miles, the A-10's Most Improved Player and the Most Outstanding Player of the tourney, knows how far this group has come in a short period. They want to make the most of this final part on their journey. They've earned it.

"All that work we put in finally paid off," said the senior forward, who scored 26 (11-for-16) to go with his 12 rebounds. "It's all hitting me now. We're excited to keep playing. The number next to the name doesn't matter. A lot of people were wrong about us. We want to make more memories. We're really like brothers. The bond is so strong. We're in this together.

"We know what we're capable of. We never hung our heads (after losing their last two regular-season games). We're always moving forward . . . Our fans have been great. If they can't be there, then we're all we've got. And all we need."

kernm@phillynews.com

@mikekerndn

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/coll...okane.html

03-13-2016 08:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

payday Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats!
RE: A-10 champion Hawks get Cincinnati in Spokane
This is the same Cincy team that beat Purdue last year and then took it to the best team in the history of college hoops. St Joe's and Oregon both are a real step down in competition. Just WIN baby!!

03-13-2016 08:42 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(03-13-2016 08:42 PM)payday Wrote:  This is the same Cincy team that beat Purdue last year and then took it to the best team in the history of college hoops. St Joe's and Oregon both are a real step down in competition. Just WIN baby!!

Tough to be considered the best team in college basketball history when you don't win the national championship.

03-13-2016 08:46 PM
payday Offline
All American

It was tongue in cheek. Doh!

03-13-2016 08:52 PM
payday Offline
All American

But still...a hell of a better team than Oregon. Not even close.

03-13-2016 08:56 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

Tough to tell with you. I'm guessing you think this UC team could go toe to toe with the 1960 Olympic team.

03-13-2016 09:00 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
UC opens as a 2 point favorite

03-13-2016 09:24 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
St. Joe will be a formidable opponent. No cakewalk here.

03-14-2016 01:05 AM
Tim Johnson Offline
2nd String

I Root For: cincinnati
(03-14-2016 01:05 AM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  St. Joe will be a formidable opponent. No cakewalk here.

Cincy will be pumped up and ready for this game.
L

03-14-2016 01:20 AM
Brian_Johnson Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(03-13-2016 09:00 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  Tough to tell with you. I'm guessing you think this UC team could go toe to toe with the 1960 Olympic team.

Of course they could. By now, most of those guys are pushing 80, if not dead already 03-nerner

03-14-2016 07:34 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-14-2016 07:34 AM)Brian_Johnson Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 09:00 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  Tough to tell with you. I'm guessing you think this UC team could go toe to toe with the 1960 Olympic team.

Of course they could. By now, most of those guys are pushing 80, if not dead already 03-nerner

Oscar still would get his triple double. The late Walter Bellamy and Jerry Lucas would have embarrassed Ellis.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 09:30 AM by CliftonAve.)
03-14-2016 09:03 AM
Advertisement

Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2016 07:34 AM)Brian_Johnson Wrote:  Of course they could. By now, most of those guys are pushing 80, if not dead already 03-nerner

The sad thing is that they'd still probably shoot it better. 03-weeping

03-14-2016 09:25 AM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
One i know is..RIP

03-14-2016 09:34 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Are they gonna light us up from 3?

03-14-2016 09:38 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-14-2016 09:38 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  Are they gonna light us up from 3?

Saw a stat that they were ranked 250th in the country in three point shooting. They are an awful three point shooting team.

Given that we typically have some guy who shoots sub 25% rip off 3-4 three point bombs when they play us I would say the answer is a resounding yes.

03-14-2016 09:43 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-14-2016 09:43 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Saw a stat that they were ranked 250th in the country in three point shooting. They are an awful three point shooting team.

Given that we typically have some guy who shoots sub 25% rip off 3-4 three point bombs when they play us I would say the answer is a resounding yes.

Haha...I guess that makes me feel better. I heard them say they like to stretch the floor with their 4 so I assumed they were a deadly perimeter team.

03-14-2016 09:47 AM
Advertisement

richardk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC
(03-14-2016 09:47 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  

Haha...I guess that makes me feel better. I heard them say they like to stretch the floor with their 4 so I assumed they were a deadly perimeter team.

The 2 forwards they count on were something like 24 of 32 from the field against VCU in the A-10 championship game. If Clark basically recovers from the ankle sprain its hard to believe they are going to shoot 75% against us.

03-14-2016 09:59 AM
Brian_Johnson Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(03-14-2016 09:25 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 07:34 AM)Brian_Johnson Wrote:  Of course they could. By now, most of those guys are pushing 80, if not dead already 03-nerner

The sad thing is that they'd still probably shoot it better. 03-weeping

Ouch 03-lmfao

03-14-2016 10:02 AM
Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(03-14-2016 09:59 AM)richardk Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 09:47 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  

The 2 forwards they count on were something like 24 of 32 from the field against VCU in the A-10 championship game. If Clark basically recovers from the ankle sprain its hard to believe they are going to shoot 75% against us.

St. Joes is a really good 2 point shooting team. I think they shoot something 52% from 2. That is the strength of our defense and will go a long way to determining who wins the game Friday.

03-14-2016 10:03 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
I like our draw

03-14-2016 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.