Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bubas Cup 13 March 2016 Start of Base/Softball
Bookmark and Share
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
Bubas Cup 13 March 2016 Start of Base/Softball
It is so early in spring sports that not every school has played a conference opponent. However I wanted to see how far App was going to fall. USA is now in first by 2.5 points and UTA is in third, 7 behind USA. App is second.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0
03-13-2016 07:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Bubas Cup 13 March 2016 Start of Base/Softball
Very nice performance by UTA on the year so far...they should be in first if the rankings made sense.
03-13-2016 08:42 AM
1st String

(03-13-2016 08:42 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Very nice performance by UTA on the year so far...they should be in first if the rankings made sense.

I am not in favor of rewarding a school that sponsors what may be the bare minimum to maintain D1 status. They may be 2 above the minimum actually but especially when they are not sponsoring big cost football I would like to see them pick up more sports, preferably with SB sports. However I do acknowledge that UTA is performing well in what they sponsor. The fans will have to settle for that and be happy with doing well in most every sport, or be willing to either up their expenses or spread their resources a bit thinner as mos SB schools are doing.

I do a few more stats for this very reason to let folks see a different side of things.
03-13-2016 09:04 AM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
There are baseball/softball games today. I would have waited.
03-13-2016 11:21 AM
1st String

(03-13-2016 11:21 AM)CatMom Wrote:  There are baseball/softball games today. I would have waited.

I should have waited until next week to have more results but outside of a week or two I have posted every week for the last two years. I have skipped a week or so after football ends and before conference basketball starts around Jan 1.

I have waited a few times until Sunday evening, or late afternoon, but for most of the year there is not much happening on Sunday's in the SB except for spring base/softball so the habit forms of me getting up and taking care of this early Sunday. I do have a weekend job two weekends on/two weekends off and on those weekends I tend to do this later in the day while I am at work and have some down time.

Knowing there are lots of Sunday base/softball I may start waiting a bit later, but sometimes the results and standings are not updated after game so waiting does not matter unless I wait along time. As of this morning the ULM-App softball results were not published. I did the standings in my head knowing this. This could become a Monday after work thing as well, but it tends to stay early Sunday moring which is even earlier for much of the SB area in the CTZ.

Given the number of looks each week, even if comments are not left I assume enough enjoy the update to keep doing it. Of course this is assuming the views continue to go to the Google sheets page.

I would love to have numbers back to 1976 and make a historical record from the beginning. I have some records where MTSU published the results in their year-end booklet to their fanbase. That goes back 6 or 7 years.
03-13-2016 11:43 AM
Advertisement

Phlipper33 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas A&M
Love the updates! Keep it up!
03-13-2016 02:31 PM
1st String

(03-13-2016 02:31 PM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  Love the updates! Keep it up!

Since you asked so nicely.
03-13-2016 02:45 PM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I just cannot pretend that all the sports are equally important.
03-14-2016 10:39 AM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(03-14-2016 10:39 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  I just cannot pretend that all the sports are equally important.

I guess it depends on what your definition of important is. This is an award for the best overall athletic program (in the SBC), you have to weigh everything equally or it has no meaning. It has nothing to do with the amount of fans watching/caring about the sport, the money the sports make, etc. It's simply about how successful your athletic department is as a whole. Just because a sport, such as tennis or track, isn't a money sport or doesn't have great attendance, doesn't make it any less important/rewarding to those athletes or fans of that sport. I'm a huge soccer fan, I follow our women's soccer (because we don't have men's) rather closely. It doesn't get the attention that football or basketball gets, but I still enjoy the success equally.
03-14-2016 11:11 AM
Advertisement

1st String

(03-14-2016 11:11 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 10:39 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  I just cannot pretend that all the sports are equally important.

I guess it depends on what your definition of important is. This is an award for the best overall athletic program (in the SBC), you have to weigh everything equally or it has no meaning. It has nothing to do with the amount of fans watching/caring about the sport, the money the sports make, etc. It's simply about how successful your athletic department is as a whole. Just because a sport, such as tennis or track, isn't a money sport or doesn't have great attendance, doesn't make it any less important/rewarding to those athletes or fans of that sport. I'm a huge soccer fan, I follow our women's soccer (because we don't have men's) rather closely. It doesn't get the attention that football or basketball gets, but I still enjoy the success equally.

Actually they don't give equal points for every 1st place. It is based on the number of schools playing the sport. MSoc awards 6 points. WSoc earns 10 for a win.

My unity points page does equalize each sport to 1 point for winning the regular season and then I divide points earned by points possible. Unofficial of course.

But every sport does carry some weight and 14 of 18 sports carry at least 9 points out of 11 points max at present.
03-14-2016 06:50 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(03-14-2016 06:50 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 11:11 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  

Actually they don't give equal points for every 1st place. It is based on the number of schools playing the sport. MSoc awards 6 points. WSoc earns 10 for a win.

My unity points page does equalize each sport to 1 point for winning the regular season and then I divide points earned by points possible. Unofficial of course.

But every sport does carry some weight and 14 of 18 sports carry at least 9 points out of 11 points max at present.

I've always thought some balancing was in order. This makes more sense to me when you have non-participants in some sports as well as limited participants in others.
03-15-2016 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.