Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

They want to come home.....but the money is too good
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
article in Saturdays News & Record

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/close-b...f617c.html

“I miss the ACC,” Bell says. “It was more intimate than the Big Ten. ... It’s totally weird to think of Maryland in the Big Ten, especially when those other teams come here. People don’t want to go see Wisconsin or Michigan the way they did Duke or Carolina. I mean, who’s the rival?”

"People are starting to understand the Big Ten,” Srour says. “The business owners certainly are, because the Big Ten travels better than the ACC. In the old days, we thought ‘Maybe we’ll get some business after the football game.’
"But now people come in from out of town, and it’s strong business before, during and after. Everyone is starting to grab hold of the Big Ten. We’re making money off football, which we never did in the ACC.”
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2016 07:07 AM by XLance.)
03-13-2016 07:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
RE: They want to come home.....but the money is too good
(03-13-2016 07:00 AM)XLance Wrote:  article in Saturdays News & Record

“I miss the ACC,” Bell says. “It was more intimate than the Big Ten. ... It’s totally weird to think of Maryland in the Big Ten, especially when those other teams come here. People don’t want to go see Wisconsin or Michigan the way they did Duke or Carolina. I mean, who’s the rival?”

"People are starting to understand the Big Ten,” Srour says. “The business owners certainly are, because the Big Ten travels better than the ACC. In the old days, we thought ‘Maybe we’ll get some business after the football game.’
"But now people come in from out of town, and it’s strong business before, during and after. Everyone is starting to grab hold of the Big Ten. We’re making money off football, which we never did in the ACC.”

This is a huge disadvantage for the ACC in football. ACC football travel crowds are a small fraction of what they see in rival conferences. Huge money disparity.
03-13-2016 09:16 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(03-13-2016 09:16 AM)nole Wrote:  

This is a huge disadvantage for the ACC in football. ACC football travel crowds are a small fraction of what they see in rival conferences. Huge money disparity.

Just more tickets for the home team?

Maryland can come back as #16 when ND comes all in.
03-13-2016 09:35 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

Yep!
The visitor allotment for ACC schools IIRC is 5,000.
It's only when a school can't sell out their own stadium (like Maryland) that visitors from other schools become important.
You can check on the SEC board, but I believe the SEC visitor allotment (required by the conference) is much higher.
03-13-2016 12:07 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(03-13-2016 12:07 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Yep!
It's only when a school can't sell out their own stadium (like Maryland) that visitors from other schools become important.
You can check on the SEC board, but I believe the SEC visitor allotment (required by the conference) is much higher.

And sadly the vast majority of this conference doesn't even sell that out. Pathetic.
03-13-2016 12:21 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(03-13-2016 12:21 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  And sadly the vast majority of this conference doesn't even sell that out. Pathetic.

This is a consequence of pursuing TV markets over geography, and why the league-esk megaconference is the only way to capture both a large number of TV markets AND re-emphasize historic rivalries and regional games.

GT will always use up their allotment at Clemson (well, unless we get a real turd like last year). GT will never use up their allotment at Syracuse, even if they were ranked #1 and Cuse was ranked #2.
03-13-2016 12:27 PM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I wonder if the visitor attendance in football is due to fans driving long distances, or if it is largely due to those schools having large alumni bases scattered throughout the B1G footprint. Syracuse had a nice contingent at Wake Forest last year, but my sense was they were mostly people who lived close enough to Winston-Salem to drive.

I doubt there are many alumni of our northern contingent who live in the Tallahassee area, so I would guess the Noles need attractive opponents to entice more their own fans to come out to fill the stadium. Clemson seems to be able to fill their stadium with lesser opponents - they just can't get premium pricing for those games.
03-13-2016 12:29 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(03-13-2016 12:29 PM)ken d Wrote:  I wonder if the visitor attendance in football is due to fans driving long distances, or if it is largely due to those schools having large alumni bases scattered throughout the B1G footprint.

That is my thought as well. A big part of this is the larger alumni base of most Big 10 schools and I suspect many "visiting" fans of UM, U of Ill, and OSU that attend a game in College Park are not traveling from Ann Arbor, Champaign, and Columbus.
03-13-2016 01:35 PM
Kaplony Offline

(03-13-2016 12:27 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 12:21 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  And sadly the vast majority of this conference doesn't even sell that out. Pathetic.

This is a consequence of pursuing TV markets over geography, and why the league-esk megaconference is the only way to capture both a large number of TV markets AND re-emphasize historic rivalries and regional games.

GT will always use up their allotment at Clemson (well, unless we get a real turd like last year). GT will never use up their allotment at Syracuse, even if they were ranked #1 and Cuse was ranked #2.

Thing is BC's travel contingent is comparable to any of the NC schools, and to me appears to be better than UVA.
03-13-2016 01:39 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Yep!

I haven't checked in a couple of years but our travel allotments were 15,000 for conference teams.
03-13-2016 02:16 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2016 02:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Yep!

I haven't checked in a couple of years but our travel allotments were 15,000 for conference teams.

thanks, JR.
03-13-2016 02:30 PM
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(03-13-2016 12:21 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Yep!

And sadly the vast majority of this conference doesn't even sell that out. Pathetic.

Call me a traditionalist, but I still like playing acc teams. My only complaint is that we play old acc schools much less frequently now that the conference is much larger. I'd love to play UVa and UNC more, but there isn't a divisional proposal that makes everyone happy (and we've beaten it to death here). I kinda wish we would make old acc - new acc divisions.
03-13-2016 03:20 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-13-2016 03:20 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

Yep!

Call me a traditionalist, but I still like playing acc teams. My only complaint is that we play old acc schools much less frequently now that the conference is much larger. I'd love to play UVa and UNC more, but there isn't a divisional proposal that makes everyone happy (and we've beaten it to death here). I kinda wish we would make old acc - new acc divisions.

If you follow that strictly, you would get:

Clemson, Virginia, UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake and Georgia Tech

Florida State, Va Tech, Miami, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville.

That's really not bad. I would bet FSU would complain strongly, but not as strongly as Va Tech would. Obviously, Va Tech would need to have a protected crossover with UVa, and FSU would probably want one with Clemson. Beyond that, there aren't a lot of other obvious crossovers. I wouldn't object to only those two games to be protected in the interest of getting all the other schools more often.
03-13-2016 05:54 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(03-13-2016 05:54 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 09:16 AM)nole Wrote:  This is a huge disadvantage for the ACC in football. ACC football travel crowds are a small fraction of what they see in rival conferences. Huge money disparity.

Yep!

If you follow that strictly, you would get:

Clemson, Virginia, UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake and Georgia Tech

Florida State, Va Tech, Miami, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville.

That's really not bad. I would bet FSU would complain strongly, but not as strongly as Va Tech would. Obviously, Va Tech would need to have a protected crossover with UVa, and FSU would probably want one with Clemson. Beyond that, there aren't a lot of other obvious crossovers. I wouldn't object to only those two games to be protected in the interest of getting all the other schools more often.

I'd be happy with those divisions.
03-13-2016 06:23 PM
Kaplony Offline

Yep!

Not me. Beating one of the ACC old guard means absolutely nothing since we've done it so much. At this point the only difference between beating UNC/NC State/Duke/UVA and beating Furman/Wofford/El Cid is the fact that I can come on here and piss off their crybaby fans.

We are:

20 games over .500 against Duke
18 games over .500 against UNC
27 games over .500 against NCSU
30 games over .500 against UVA
46 games over .500 against Wake

Hard to get passionate about games against teams you own like that. Even harder when only a handful of their fans actually care about football.
03-13-2016 08:26 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(03-13-2016 12:27 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Well I think now your just being silly with that last quote.!? If you both were in the top 5 then I can ASSURE you that it would be the game to watch!!!!! Hell I might even go!

Which is kinda the problem is neither school remains ranked for too long. Gtech way more often then the Orange....but the Orange were once Great!!! I have to think it can happen again they just need the right coach.
FLossY Out...04-wine
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2016 09:45 AM by HRFlossY.)
03-15-2016 09:43 AM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU

"This has no bearing on winning National Championships"

--signed Miami Hurricanes
03-15-2016 09:47 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-15-2016 09:47 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

"This has no bearing on winning National Championships"

--signed Miami Hurricanes

You may be on to something there. When Miami was in the Big East, no conference mate was a real threat to flip local recruits. Now Clemson and FSU do it all the time. Compare that to Big Ten teams swooping in on Maryland recruits. Hmmm...
03-15-2016 09:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU

I never got excited about playing Maryland in football....EVER

They had one good season with Ralph Friedgen...I'm so glad Louisville is in the conference instead of them

now if the ACC could just grab Houston
03-15-2016 10:16 AM
Kaplony Offline

(03-15-2016 10:16 AM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

I never got excited about playing Maryland in football....EVER

They had one good season with Ralph Friedgen...I'm so glad Louisville is in the conference instead of them

now if the ACC could just grab Houston

Well that's because you only dealt with them from the 1990's on. Maryland and Clemson was building a heated rivalry in the 1980's when Bobby Ross was there, but that died out when they fell off a cliff when he left. They had almost an assembly line of NFL QBs: Boomer Esiason, Stan Gelbaugh, Frank Reich, Neil O'Donnell, and Scott Zolak.

Maryland was the last original ACC team to have a winning record against Clemson in football.
03-15-2016 11:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.