Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC?
Southern Miss Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC?
Southern Miss has been the odd man out when it comes to conference realignment, but there's a chance that could change in the not too distant future.

With the Big 12 possibly deciding to expand this summer, the American Athletic Conference is almost sure to feel the impact.

Southern Miss athletic director Bill McGillis is making sure USM’s case for the AAC is heard. He made the trip to Orlando this weekend to attend the AAC Tournament in Orlando.

SUN HERALD: Big 12 expansion could give Southern Miss shot at AAC
03-12-2016 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: Sun Herald: Could Big 12 expansion send USM to AAC?
There's been more than USM discussed as backfill options for the AAC. I'm sure they along with these other schools frequently mentioned have all been contacted by the AAC as a backfill candidate, but I'm also sure the AAC has no desire to actually add them unless necessary. If they lose 1 member, then i could see any of the schools often brought up taking their place. If they lose 2? They'll stay at 10. Deregulation killed a lot of school's dreams about moving up a conference

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
03-12-2016 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
They would have been in the AAC instead of Tulane/Tulsa if their program hadn't tanked right before realignment.
03-12-2016 03:27 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
We're going to add another program with around 30k avg attendance and no market of which to speak? I'd rather add Marshall if USM is on the table.
03-12-2016 03:41 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(03-12-2016 03:41 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  We're going to add another program with around 30k avg attendance and no market of which to speak? I'd rather add Marshall if USM is on the table.
You reallu gotta be wary of Marshall though... great support sure and winning ways, but no market and how good can they really be without NQs? There's a reason people refer to Marshall as a glorified JUCO

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
03-12-2016 03:44 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-12-2016 03:27 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  They would have been in the AAC instead of Tulane/Tulsa if their program hadn't tanked right before realignment.

That's a misnomer. They were coming off a big 11 win season in2011-2012. In early season 2012, when ECU and Tulane were added--people knew they wouldn't be good that year--but nobody thought they wouldn't win a game for nearly 2 years. They were skipped over due to lack of market, extremely low budget, and poor academic fit. Nobody expected S Miss to fall like they did. However---in retrospect, it makes one question what the future for S Miss might hold.

At this point, I think there is some question as to whether or not they can be the old S Miss with thier small budget and so much intrusion into thier recruiting grounds with teams like LaTech, UL-L, ASU, Tulane, UAB, and Arky State. Those teams didn't used to be a significant factor--now, as a group--they are much more of a danger to siphon off talent from S Miss. They strung together all those winning years by having a consistent coach who built relationships with area HS coaches and by being THE premier destination of kids passed over by the SEC. Having one coach for years and years and getting that recruiting pipeline built can overcome a lot of budget woes. Can S Miss win year after year like they used to in a new era--who knows? I think they will become more like other G5's. They will win thier shares of games--but they will lose thier share as well.

That said--in the east, assuming Army is unavailable, nobody else is close to S Miss in attendance.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 04:18 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-12-2016 03:55 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-12-2016 02:06 PM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  Southern Miss has been the odd man out when it comes to conference realignment, but there's a chance that could change in the not too distant future.

With the Big 12 possibly deciding to expand this summer, the American Athletic Conference is almost sure to feel the impact.

Southern Miss athletic director Bill McGillis is making sure USM’s case for the AAC is heard. He made the trip to Orlando this weekend to attend the AAC Tournament in Orlando.

To back fill for UC/UConn, as an example, I might try to lure NIU/Toledo or maybe USM/UTSA. UTSA needs a new bball arena though. Are they still in that tiny gym?
03-12-2016 04:21 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(03-12-2016 02:06 PM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  Southern Miss has been the odd man out when it comes to conference realignment, but there's a chance that could change in the not too distant future.

This is an opinion piece from a local paper.

One thing the writer has right is turf protection is at play here. The Florida schools don't want F*U schools or Marshall to chop into recruiting. Memphis from the sounds of it in the article is very happy to have a leg up on Southern Miss in recruiting.

Louisiana Tech may be getting consideration because at least they help everyone in the West with travel. Southern Miss not so much unless you are talking Tulane.

LaTech to AAC West
SMU 258 miles
Memphis 296 miles
Tulane 298 miles
Houston 301 miles
Tulsa 398 miles

So.Miss to AAC West
Tulane 112 miles
Memphis 298 miles
Houston 436 miles
SMU 496 miles
Tulsa 618 miles

Memphis and Tulane might want to keep a recruiting edge on SoMiss. LaTech elevated to the AAC would have an edge on SBC schools.
03-12-2016 04:28 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
LT avg distance: 310
SoMS avg distance: 392
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 04:33 PM by Erictelevision.)
03-12-2016 04:32 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2016 03:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-12-2016 03:27 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  They would have been in the AAC instead of Tulane/Tulsa if their program hadn't tanked right before realignment.
At this point, I think there is some question as to whether or not they can be the old S Miss with thier small budget and so much intrusion into thier recruiting grounds with teams like LaTech, UL-L, ASU, Tulane, UAB, and Arky State. Those teams didn't used to be a significant factor--now, as a group--they are much more of a danger to siphon off talent from S Miss. They strung together all those winning years by having a consistent coach who built relationships with area HS coaches and by being THE premier destination of kids passed over by the SEC. Having one coach for years and years and getting that recruiting pipeline built can overcome a lot of budget woes. Can S Miss win year after year like they used to in a new era--who knows? I think they will become more like other G5's. They will win thier shares of games--but they will lose thier share as well.

Some of the academic changes also might have impacted Southern Miss on the way Mississippi is recruited.

They do have an impressive stadium but at 36,000 seats its small by realignment standards. For the G5 level in that region its not particularly big. AState is 31,000, UNT 35,000, Louisiana 37,000, South Alabama is 33,500.
03-12-2016 04:55 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2016 04:32 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  LT avg distance: 310
SoMS avg distance: 392

The travel advantage tilts more heavily in the favor of LT when you consider the needs of the Texas schools.

There may be a push to keep the Texas schools happy at all costs so they don't depart for the MWC.

LaTech since its not a directional has a brand advantage over Southern Miss.
03-12-2016 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I know there are many other factors more important than this, but just for reference, here are the current G5/Independent schools that have played the most football games vs the current AAC members except for Cincinnati (whom I think is most likely to leave, although I seriously doubt the B12 expands). This includes games played when FCS/D1AA if applicable:

Rice (209)
Army (180)
Southern Miss (171)
North Texas (98)
Massachusetts (75)
Louisiana Lafayette (74)
UTEP (74)
Air Force (70)
Arkansas State (69)
UAB (66)
Marshall (54)
Louisiana Tech (51)
Buffalo (45)
Akron (36)
MTSU (35)

I know a lot of people dismiss Rice because they are a duplicate market and they have a small student/alumni base, but I think they would have a very good shot if Army declines.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 05:15 PM by Chappy.)
03-12-2016 05:09 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
AFA was interested at one time. Could be added this time around.
03-12-2016 06:02 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
AFA would be a home run addition. Don't think it would happen--but AFA (and Army) are options #1 and #2.
03-12-2016 06:09 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
why would AFA want to leave close rivals in MWC?
03-12-2016 06:10 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
(03-12-2016 06:10 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  why would AFA want to leave close rivals in MWC?

Join its service academy brethren? I agree they're good in MWC, just a guess.
03-12-2016 06:17 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

There is a wide variety of ways an opening in the AAC could play out.

If its UConn/Cincinnati to the AAC there is no opening with the AAC standing pat at 10.

If its BYU/Cincinnati to the AAC this is interesting in a variety of ways. What it means is there is 1 opening in the AAC and that BYU is permanently off the table for the MWC who is thinking 14 if it can get some Texas schools.

Rice when they can't get into the AAC will try for the MWC so if the AAC adds them then the MWC would be looking at UTEP/UTSA most likely.

CUSA West then would be UNT, LaTech, USM, UAB, WKU, MTSU. The six most western schools in CUSA. They could go back to 12 with Georgia State in the East division. This would tighten up the geography a lot and reduce the bloat with only 12 schools in CUSA.
03-12-2016 06:50 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
The problem with having a conference that is spaced out among Texas, Florida, Ohio, Oklahoma, Connecticut, North Carolina, Louisiana, Pennsylvania and Tennessee is that - no matter who you add - you are creating long distance travel for league members.
03-12-2016 07:10 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2016 04:28 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

This is an opinion piece from a local paper.

One thing the writer has right is turf protection is at play here. The Florida schools don't want F*U schools or Marshall to chop into recruiting. Memphis from the sounds of it in the article is very happy to have a leg up on Southern Miss in recruiting.

Louisiana Tech may be getting consideration because at least they help everyone in the West with travel. Southern Miss not so much unless you are talking Tulane.

LaTech to AAC West
SMU 258 miles
Memphis 296 miles
Tulane 298 miles
Houston 301 miles
Tulsa 398 miles

So.Miss to AAC West
Tulane 112 miles
Memphis 298 miles
Houston 436 miles
SMU 496 miles
Tulsa 618 miles

Memphis and Tulane might want to keep a recruiting edge on SoMiss. LaTech elevated to the AAC would have an edge on SBC schools.
You get the creativity prize for today. ive seen every situation that could be dreamed up to beg for us not to be added. But a mileage table takes the blue ribbon.
03-12-2016 08:24 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2016 03:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

That's a misnomer. They were coming off a big 11 win season in2011-2012. In early season 2012, when ECU and Tulane were added--people knew they wouldn't be good that year--but nobody thought they wouldn't win a game for nearly 2 years. They were skipped over due to lack of market, extremely low budget, and poor academic fit. Nobody expected S Miss to fall like they did. However---in retrospect, it makes one question what the future for S Miss might hold.

That said--in the east, assuming Army is unavailable, nobody else is close to S Miss in attendance.

Boy o boy you dont want us in do you?
03-12-2016 08:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.