UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where does this loss rank for you?
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
Where does this loss rank for you?
Where does this loss yesterday rank for you guys, in terms of the all-time disappointing losses and your times as UAB fans? It's definitely in my top three. This may be my most disappointing loss ever, simply because of just how badly we played and how much we had at stake.

The loss to Memphis in 2008 was very hard also. The tourney loss in 2011 where we vomited on ourselves again was difficult. The cusa tourney loss to ECU was very bad. However, overall, I think we played worse and had more to lose yesterday than in any of those losses..

Any loss when we are in the NCAA tournament is obviously very disappointing. However, you go into those games reasonably expecting that there is a high chance that you will lose, simply given the quality of the competition. This was a game against an inferior opponent, in our city, when we had the number one seed, momentum, talent, and everything to play for. YUCK. This was very hard to stomach...
03-11-2016 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Where does this loss rank for you?
Only the Sun Belt tournament loss in 1986 when Steve Mitchell was a senior compares for me. Yet we still got an at large. That team had so much promise yet squandered it down the stretch.

I said in another thread this is the worst tournament loss ever. It doesn't compare to regular season losses because you can recover from those and not as much is riding on them.

Everything was riding on a championship and they blew it.
03-11-2016 11:17 AM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
WKU was the team that worried me the most, having seen how well they played us already this season and how poorly we had dealt with their inside game on O and D. The loss was very disappointing , but I dont consider it to be a big upset.
03-11-2016 11:18 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Not even on the radar. After fighting off the evil of Ray Watts and Bryant Junior (well, more correctly, stalemating them for now) it's a joy to see the Blazers play, win or lose. I do not think all of you truly understand how close we came to losing everything.

In terms of pure basketball, seeing a Final Four caliber team lose to North Carolina with its star going 1-for-27 was much worse.

Seeing a less-talented but driven team collapse a few minutes from the Final Four because our Hall of Fame coach had only used one guy on contested throw-ins all year and that one guy fouled out for the first time in his career, yeah that was hard too.

This game had the feel of Mike Davis' ghost from the opening tip.
03-11-2016 11:19 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
It's just disappointing. Not getting that extreme. MB. No where close to worst loss. Tournament or not.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 11:21 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
03-11-2016 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Well you guys have your opinion and I have mine. There are no right or wrong answers
03-11-2016 11:27 AM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
WKU was a horrible match up for us. I would have been more devastated if it had been Rice, FIU, FAU, etc.
03-11-2016 11:29 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
Do you guys not care that we got blown out? This was an inferior team, we made no adjustments at all, didn't show up to play at all, and got blown out, even with everything on the line. Bad matchup or not, we are better than WKU. This was a very disappointing loss for me.

Like I said, NCAA tourney losses aren't as devastating just bc you go into it knowing that no matter how good you play, you have a strong chance to lose, based on how good the other team is. This was against a lower team where we had all the advantages. This was very mike Davis-esque.

And I'm purely talking about basketball, not our issues with watts or the bot
03-11-2016 11:42 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(03-11-2016 11:42 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Do you guys not care that we got blown out? This was an inferior team, we made no adjustments at all, didn't show up to play at all, and got blown out, even with everything on the line. Bad matchup or not, we are better than WKU. This was a very disappointing loss for me.

Like I said, NCAA tourney losses aren't as devastating just bc you go into it knowing that no matter how good you play, you have a strong chance to lose, based on how good the other team is. This was against a lower team where we had all the advantages. This was very mike Davis-esque.

I'm with you. This team was a dark horse team to be a sweet 16. Its not so much the loss as it is the lost opportunity
03-11-2016 11:49 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

This UAB team has a great record and it has been a great season, but this team has not blown teams away. There have been several close calls against the bottom dwellers in the conference. I'm certainly disappointed, but I didn't have a good feeling against WKU or for winning three in a row.

Consequently, yesterday's loss doesn't rate very high for me.
03-11-2016 11:53 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-11-2016 11:49 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 11:42 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Do you guys not care that we got blown out? This was an inferior team, we made no adjustments at all, didn't show up to play at all, and got blown out, even with everything on the line. Bad matchup or not, we are better than WKU. This was a very disappointing loss for me.

I'm with you. This team was a dark horse team to be a sweet 16. Its not so much the loss as it is the lost opportunity

Completely agree with MB and The Answer. This loss, because of what was at stake and the missed opportunity, is probably the worst loss I've witnessed. The 2008 Memphis game is a close 2nd simply because blowing that win also cost us an NCAA tournament trip, not to mention the squandered massive publicity we would've gotten by beating the undefeated #1 team in the country.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 11:55 AM by hooverblazer.)
03-11-2016 11:54 AM
Advertisement

jcduncan13 Offline
All American

This was IMO the worst tournament loss in our history. Our guys just didn't come to play and WKU certainly came to play us.
03-11-2016 11:58 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
I think the issue we're all trying to process is that a 26-win UAB team that won its league going away won't be awarded an at-large. This is uncharted territory for this program.
03-11-2016 12:05 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(03-11-2016 11:49 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

That sums it up for me. I really believed this team had the talent to get in the tournament and make some noise. Like last year, but perhaps better. Going to the NCAA Tournament two years in a row and possibly winning a game in the tournament two years in a row would have been huge as far as establishing the perception of this program within the state, within the conference, and even on a national level.

As for where this loss ranks for me, I'd put it up there with the loss to Memphis in 08, another loss that essentially kept a very talented team from making the tourney. I'd probably still put this loss ahead of that though because this is a better team and lets face it, with Mike Davis coaching that team probably would have been one and done in the NCAA Tournament. I was also pretty broken up after the Auburn loss this year. Not that that loss really mattered in the end, it just stung because A. I knew we were better than Auburn and I felt that loss kind of abruptly ended some of the positive good will we had from the previous year and B. It's hard to make the claim you're the best basketball team in the state when you have a chance to prove it on the court and don't.

In the end, this was one of the most enjoyable UAB basketball seasons from start to finish for me in a long time, I was certainly more engaged throughout than I have been in any season in a long time. However, this season also had one of the most disappointing beginning and ends for me.

and yes I know we still have the NIT.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 12:14 PM by BlazintheATL.)
03-11-2016 12:13 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

One other thing I'd like to add. Something I took for granted this season is the fact that everyone on this team remained healthy and eligible for the entirety of the season. That is certainly a testament to the quality of our S&C program, the STUDENT athletes, and everyone else who assists in this, but it's also a little bit of luck. Going through an entire season without a single player getting hurt and missing even a couple of games, is rare. That's another reason yesterdays loss was such a disappointment for me. We really did have everything going our way.
03-11-2016 12:44 PM
blazerball25 Offline
Special Teams

For me it is #1 since I started following the program in 2003
03-11-2016 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
It was a bad loss for many reasons, but the worst, only in loss potential for accomplishing so much more. The team for what ever reason wasnt ready to play. Brown was ready, Coke was ready, Ha Ha and Norton had their moments. It was a disappointing loss to me because the team had so much to play for, but I am cool hand luke when it comes to winning and losing and the team feels worst than I could ever feel. I stayed until the teams walked back through the arena, I saw their faces, to a man they were hurt, they were disappointed, was it the worst loss, for those kids, I believe nothing hurt more, they did not get to cut down nets, they let the fans down, they loss a game they believe they would win. They were out rebounded..fundamental blocking out and hustle, lost the 50/50 balls.
I felt worst that we could not get a stop...we had plenty of big shots, we had some stops , but it appeared Western Kentucky wanted it more and they took it. I am disappointed that the team was pushed around that Mehenti did not show up again. I am disappointed that Mehenti appears to have reach his maximum. I am disappointed that we were out coached as far as winning individual match up and not getting back into the game. Mehenti isnt getting it done down low and Ha ha who had match up advantages all day will not post up.
Is WK a better team, well yes, they are a better team playing to their strengths than UAB was playing to their strengths. They obvious were a better team than we were yesterday. This WK team is similar to where we were last year, even the record is similar going into the tournament play. If they win out, they will be a tough out for who ever gets them.
I wasnt surprised that we lost, I still believe we are a year ahead of schedule and this team will be a better team next year. I am disappointed that we are not a tough team. We are built to run, when we are not running, we go long spells of not scoring in the half court sets, when Coke is out we have little inside scoring threat, we need a mature inside enforcer who rebounds and scores.
This was the difference in the game, we were dominated inside.. But NO this is not the worst loss ( imo ) as so far as winning and losing, it is a very bad loss based on potential.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 01:38 PM by Rebounder2u.)
03-11-2016 01:19 PM
DM Blazer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: The Blazers
(03-11-2016 01:19 PM)Rebounder2u Wrote:  It was a bad loss for many reasons, but the worst, only in loss potential for accomplishing so much more. The team for what ever reason wasnt ready to play. Brown was ready, Coke was ready, Ha Ha and Norton had their moments. It was a disappointing loss to me because the team had so much to play for, but Ibelieve it or not,
We were out rebounded... that is fundamental blocking out hustle, 50/50- 101 basketball. I felt worst that we could not get a stop...we had plenty of big shots, we had some stops , but it appeared Western Kentucky wanted it more and they took it. I am disappointed that the team was pushed around that Mehenti did not show up again. I am disappointed that Mehenti appears to have reach his maximum. I am disappointed that we were out coached as far as winning individual match up. Is WK a better team, well yes, they are a better team playing to their strengths than UAB was playing to their strengths. They obvious were a better team than we were yesterday. This team is similar to where we were last year, even the record is similar going in to the tournament play.
I wasnt surprised that we lost, I still believe we are a year ahead of schedule and this team will be a better team next year. Coach go out and get a mature enforcer to play inside
That was the key thing you said that we have been afraid to say we were not only outplayed yesterday but one of the few times ive seen us OUTCOACHED!
03-11-2016 01:33 PM
Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
(03-11-2016 01:33 PM)DMBLAZER Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 01:19 PM)Rebounder2u Wrote:  It was a bad loss for many reasons, but the worst, only in loss potential for accomplishing so much more. The team for what ever reason wasnt ready to play. Brown was ready, Coke was ready, Ha Ha and Norton had their moments. It was a disappointing loss to me because the team had so much to play for, but Ibelieve it or not,
We were out rebounded... that is fundamental blocking out hustle, 50/50- 101 basketball. I felt worst that we could not get a stop...we had plenty of big shots, we had some stops , but it appeared Western Kentucky wanted it more and they took it. I am disappointed that the team was pushed around that Mehenti did not show up again. I am disappointed that Mehenti appears to have reach his maximum. I am disappointed that we were out coached as far as winning individual match up. Is WK a better team, well yes, they are a better team playing to their strengths than UAB was playing to their strengths. They obvious were a better team than we were yesterday. This team is similar to where we were last year, even the record is similar going in to the tournament play.
I wasnt surprised that we lost, I still believe we are a year ahead of schedule and this team will be a better team next year. Coach go out and get a mature enforcer to play inside
That was the key thing you said that we have been afraid to say we were not only outplayed yesterday but one of the few times ive seen us OUTCOACHED!

Coach coming from Roy Williams tree, is hesitant to call time outs, but Williams usually have the talent to work their way out of a hole, we need to stop the bleeding and get in a set to score and take advantage of match ups.
03-11-2016 01:41 PM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
Since I've been a fan (2009), probably the most heartbreaking.
03-11-2016 05:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.