Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

#JMUGivingDay - 3/15
Bookmark and Share
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
#JMUGivingDay - 3/15
This day has been hinted at in other threads, but it needs its own thread. Hopefully by now, if you have a pulse on anything JMU related you have heard about JMU Giving Day, which takes place Tuesday March 15. From midnight to midnight, JMU family/alumni/parents/students/faculty/staff/friends are invited to come together and make a gift to support any of 5 University priority funds or the 7 colleges.

Priority Funds:
  • Madison Vision Fund
  • Madison Forever Scholarship Fund
  • Athletics Fund
  • Faculty Success Fund
  • Madison Endowment

The guys over at JMU Sports Blog have posted a creative angle on that today. Some of the goals are to raise 568 contributions (568 is JMU in phone speak), and the Duke Club has set out to raise at least a scholarship's amount ($24,500). Like JMU Sports Blog, I think that's going to be pretty easy to beat... but it is the first time doing this so nobody knows what's going to happen.

Anyway - as this is a sports message forum I'd point out that it would be an optimal day for you to get your annual Duke Club gift made to JMU. I'll be getting mine done, and I know many others who are too. Also some of the JMU notables like Moats, Curt Dudley, Lee Fitting, Lindsey Czarniak, Marlowe, JMU sports blog, etc are making gifts and issuing challenges for people to match. Curt for example posted yesterday about making a $25 donation for every game the girls won in the tourney this weekend, and JMU SB is doing $20 per softball win over the weekend, so creative gifts like that can be fun. What kind of ideas for creative gifts do you have?

One thing I learned is that funds not mentioned above or not one of the Colleges at JMU are not "counted" as part of the giving day gifts. Many of us have pledged money toward the new convo project based on wins this season for example - the convo fund and most others are not going to be tracked for the giving day total. Be that as it may, a gift is a gift, but just know that your convo gift is not a fund listed on 3/15.

I've found this website most helpful: https://givingday.jmu.edu/faq/

Most of all - we all have a very large JMU network. There are rustled haters who will say they're never giving another gift until Alger resigns (not happening), we move to FBS (not happening soon it seems), CK retires (not happening soon it seems), Matt Brady is fired/extended, etc - that's fine you do what you want with your money. Maybe instead of athletics, you choose your college. Fine, whatever, the point is every gift matters and JMU needs our support however we feel called to do so. When you make a gift, tell people about it and encourage them to make a gift too (#JMUGivingDay). Many other schools have started doing giving days like this, and with all of us behind it we can have a hell of a day too.

Go Dukes!
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 09:54 AM by Deez Nuts.)
03-11-2016 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: #JMUGivingDay - 3/15
Thanks for posting this Deez! Looking forward to helping make sure we break through those numbers next week.
03-11-2016 10:24 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

(03-11-2016 09:52 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Anyway - as this is a sports message forum I'd point out that it would be an optimal day for you to get your annual Duke Club gift made to JMU. I'll be getting mine done, and I know many others who are too.

Certainly a fine day to do it, but I think they are also trying to get the word out that they are hoping these will be gifts beyond what is normally donated/pledged. So if you do make your full contribution, consider a little extra on top.
03-11-2016 11:12 AM
RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

(03-11-2016 11:12 AM)DooX Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 09:52 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Anyway - as this is a sports message forum I'd point out that it would be an optimal day for you to get your annual Duke Club gift made to JMU. I'll be getting mine done, and I know many others who are too.

Certainly a fine day to do it, but I think they are also trying to get the word out that they are hoping these will be gifts beyond what is normally donated/pledged. So if you do make your full contribution, consider a little extra on top.

Plan to add a little on top of mine.
03-11-2016 11:20 AM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
Thanks for posting Deez. I plan to do my renewal and go over the top a bit.
03-11-2016 04:41 PM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2016 09:52 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  the point is every gift matters and JMU needs our support however we feel called to do so. When you make a gift, tell people about it and encourage them to make a gift too (#JMUGivingDay).

Go Dukes!

This!! There are also events going on in many areas to make people aware of the online portion but also just to raise awareness about giving to JMU. The Richmond JMU Alumni Chapter is hosting an event at Jack Brown's in Richmond from 5-9 on the 15th and 10% of ALL sales during that time are going to be donated on behalf of the Richmond Alumni Chapter to one of the priority funds by Jack Brown's.

Every little bit counts!
03-11-2016 05:00 PM
Advertisement

bobbyjmu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
bump
03-14-2016 05:57 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

Just gave my yearly donations to Duke Club, COB and College of Education. I'll fill out the paperwork later today to have my firm double the three amounts (unfortunately JMU won't see that cash until October).

As of 9am Duke Club is averaging $193 per donation which is the highest (by a lot; honors program around $150, most around $50). It is also $14K more than COB who is second in highest amounts. I'm guessing a lot of Duke Club members are using this day to make their annual gift.
03-15-2016 08:14 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

Just made good on my match with Curt Dudley for the WBB team and their 3 wins at $25/$25/$50 in the CAA tourney. Threw some dough at my college unit too, and also gonna put some of the annual Duke Club donation in today. Hope most of you are able to make a gift today by midnight too.
03-15-2016 08:35 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Done
03-15-2016 08:37 AM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

Where is the FBS fund?
03-15-2016 08:41 AM
Advertisement

bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

The Duke Club has already raised over $20,000. I think their goal was $24,000 for the whole day. Impressive start.
03-15-2016 08:41 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Just made a contribution. Not related to my normal donation and tickets. Over and above.
03-15-2016 08:47 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

Hit 100K for the day so far. Hopefully the steam doesn't let up throughout the day. # of gifts goal (568) is already to 530+
03-15-2016 09:01 AM
RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

And just broke 1 full scholarship at 10AM. Well done everyone.
03-15-2016 09:19 AM
RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

Wow! Over 30K now.
03-15-2016 09:34 AM
Advertisement

Dukes1825 Offline
Special Teams

What a great day for JMU
03-15-2016 09:37 AM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

JMU supporters, especially athletic donors, are showing that with a well coordinated fundraising campaign, we will show up.
03-15-2016 09:39 AM
Madison 91 Forever Offline
1st String

I give annually to the university, but what is the advantage to donating today specifically?
03-15-2016 09:42 AM
RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

(03-15-2016 09:42 AM)Madison 91 Forever Wrote:  I give annually to the university, but what is the advantage to donating today specifically?

It's a 1 day event to raise funds for the university in different areas. I view today as a way to go above and beyond and provide a value to the university
03-15-2016 09:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.