Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sorry UAB
Bookmark and Share
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Sorry UAB
You were the best and most consistent team in the league this year, but likely have an NIT bid to show for it.

I may be beating a dead horse, but unfortunately I believe that you are going to reap the rewards of CUSA's out-of-conference SUCK this year (and I say this with full acknowledgment that ODU contributed to that SUCK).

This is why we need to schedule up. The top teams in the conference need to schedule and beat good teams. Any team with 26 wins should never get left out of the dance.

I think that CUSA basketball has a lot of potential, with a lot of good young players, and some good teams rebuilding this year. But we gotta get it done out of conference. Until then, the regular conference season means little.
03-10-2016 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
RE: Sorry UAB
Unfortunate but real side effect of having some pretty crappy teams in the conference. Obviously this is a problem that needs to be fixed. The upper half is like a whole different league compared to the bottom teams.
03-10-2016 02:59 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2016 02:59 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  Unfortunate but real side effect of having some pretty crappy teams in the conference. Obviously this is a problem that needs to be fixed. The upper half is like a whole different league compared to the bottom teams.

True, but the upper half stunk it up out-of-conference as well this year. With 14 teams, we're going to have some stinkers. We can live with that.
03-10-2016 03:01 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
I've said it before but sometimes the teams with an extra game are gelling and able to catch the higher rated seeds offguard. It's happened to us before. That's why I'm an advocate of only sending the top eight teams. It's all fair and square.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 03:03 PM by JCMiner.)
03-10-2016 03:02 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(03-10-2016 03:01 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 02:59 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  Unfortunate but real side effect of having some pretty crappy teams in the conference. Obviously this is a problem that needs to be fixed. The upper half is like a whole different league compared to the bottom teams.

True, but the upper half stunk it up out-of-conference as well this year. With 14 teams, we're going to have some stinkers. We can live with that.

Certainly the top teams needed to play better too. Didn't do nearly enough to offset the "stinkers" :( As TIBL said in the other thread, it will take a change to help the conference significantly.
03-10-2016 03:06 PM
EaglehasLanded Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(03-10-2016 02:55 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  You were the best and most consistent team in the league this year, but likely have an NIT bid to show for it.

I may be beating a dead horse, but unfortunately I believe that you are going to reap the rewards of CUSA's out-of-conference SUCK this year (and I say this with full acknowledgment that ODU contributed to that SUCK).

This is why we need to schedule up. The top teams in the conference need to schedule and beat good teams. Any team with 26 wins should never get left out of the dance.

I think that CUSA basketball has a lot of potential, with a lot of good young players, and some good teams rebuilding this year. But we gotta get it done out of conference. Until then, the regular conference season means little.

In 2012/13 Southern Miss finished 25-9 but lost to Memphis in Double OT in the C-USA finals and still only got a NIT bid (at least it was a 1 seed).
In 2013/14 Southern Miss finished 27-6 losing to La. Tech in the C-USA Semis and again did not receive an NCAA bid, and was not a 1 seed in the NIT tourney....

The committee does not care for C-USA, unless you are a historically good basketball school. Unfortunately, C-USA is rated even lower this year than it was in those 2 years...Good luck Blazers, maybe you guys will have better luck than we did.
03-10-2016 03:12 PM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(03-10-2016 02:55 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  You were the best and most consistent team in the league this year, but likely have an NIT bid to show for it.

If we would have scheduled up this year we would have been 50 games under .500 and the 29th ranked league.

I have just dispelled this myth (again today) that scheduling harder has virtually no bearing on having a better league ranking/RPI.
03-10-2016 03:15 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(03-10-2016 03:12 PM)EaglehasLanded Wrote:  

In 2012/13 Southern Miss finished 25-9 but lost to Memphis in Double OT in the C-USA finals and still only got a NIT bid (at least it was a 1 seed).
In 2013/14 Southern Miss finished 27-6 losing to La. Tech in the C-USA Semis and again did not receive an NCAA bid, and was not a 1 seed in the NIT tourney....

The committee does not care for C-USA, unless you are a historically good basketball school. Unfortunately, C-USA is rated even lower this year than it was in those 2 years...Good luck Blazers, maybe you guys will have better luck than we did.

Tech won 25+ games the past 3 years and got NIT each time...lose 1 game in the conference tournament and it kills a great season.
03-10-2016 03:16 PM
ODU2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(03-10-2016 03:15 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

If we would have scheduled up this year we would have been 50 games under .500 and the 29th ranked league.

I have just dispelled this myth (again today) that scheduling harder has virtually no bearing on having a better league ranking/RPI.

This may be true, but it has alot to do with attendance and league perception. I'm sure most dont like settling for mediocrity.
03-10-2016 03:19 PM
EaglehasLanded Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(03-10-2016 03:16 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 03:12 PM)EaglehasLanded Wrote:  

Tech won 25+ games the past 3 years and got NIT each time...lose 1 game in the conference tournament and it kills a great season.

Another valid argument...I also remember Tech being in the NIT with Southern Miss and thinking they should have been an NCAA team as well.
03-10-2016 03:19 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

Correct. Take ODU for instance, played 6 teams with under 100 RPI. Lost all 6, how does scheduling up help? Schedule winnable games against decent competition
03-10-2016 03:20 PM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

In that case, we would have little to complain about.
03-10-2016 03:23 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2016 03:20 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  

Correct. Take ODU for instance, played 6 teams with under 100 RPI. Lost all 6, how does scheduling up help? Schedule winnable games against decent competition

True, and that is why ODU was never in contention for an at-large this year.

Last year, we were one of the last four out due to our schedule. (Damn MTSU, UTSA!!!)
03-10-2016 03:24 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(03-10-2016 03:24 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

Last year, we were one of the last four out due to our schedule. (Damn MTSU, UTSA!!!)

Home games last year, when the return games are made they equal loses like this year.
03-10-2016 03:40 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
There are some caveats to this though. No one should be allowed to schedule a SWAC or MEAC school unless they are coming off a 5-win season. UTSA, you are free to do so here.

Every other league is fair game. Just schedule wins baby.
03-10-2016 03:40 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
(03-10-2016 03:40 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 03:24 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

Home games last year, when the return games are made they equal loses like this year.

Unless that team is La Tech. GAME ON!
03-10-2016 03:43 PM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

This was ODU's schedule when they got their most recent at-large bid (2007) in the CAA. I'll let it speak for itself.

Nov. 11 South Carolina State%
Nov. 16 Toledo (Homecoming)
Nov. 18 at Clemson
Nov. 20 Iona%
Nov. 23 vs. North Carolina%
Nov. 24 Vs. Louisville or BYU%
Nov. 28 Georgetown
Dec. 1 at Georgia State*
Dec. 8 MD-Eastern Shore
Dec. 16 Virginia Tech
Dec. 19 at Richmond
Dec. 21 at Winthrop
Dec. 29 at UAB
03-10-2016 03:46 PM
Shadow_Son Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
Or, crazy idea - how about if you're the best team in the conference with the best record you just go ahead and solidify that argument by winning the tournament? (or at least don't lose in the quarterfinals!) They call it "earning a bid" for a reason - and unfortunately we are a one bid league no matter how you slice it. If the regular season champion got an auto bid, the selection committee would'nt allow a regular season and tournament champ from our league. Man up and earn your right to dance. Simple as.
03-10-2016 03:51 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2016 03:51 PM)Shadow_Son Wrote:  Or, crazy idea - how about if you're the best team in the conference with the best record you just go ahead and solidify that argument by winning the tournament? (or at least don't lose in the quarterfinals!) They call it "earning a bid" for a reason - and unfortunately we are a one bid league no matter how you slice it. If the regular season champion got an auto bid, the selection committee would'nt allow a regular season and tournament champ from our league. Man up and earn your right to dance. Simple as.

Agreed. But on the downside, one bad game and your great season is in the toilet.

Lot's of teams don't win their tournament and still get in. We need to get to that point as well.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 03:55 PM by ODUBB35.)
03-10-2016 03:55 PM
Shadow_Son Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
(03-10-2016 03:55 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 03:51 PM)Shadow_Son Wrote:  Or, crazy idea - how about if you're the best team in the conference with the best record you just go ahead and solidify that argument by winning the tournament? (or at least don't lose in the quarterfinals!) They call it "earning a bid" for a reason - and unfortunately we are a one bid league no matter how you slice it. If the regular season champion got an auto bid, the selection committee would'nt allow a regular season and tournament champ from our league. Man up and earn your right to dance. Simple as.

Agreed. But on the downside, one bad game and your great season is in the toilet.

Lot's of teams don't win their tournament and still get in. We need to get to that point as well.

Agree, but UAB didnt do themselves any favors with their scheduling. No quality wins when you have 26 kinda leaves you out to dry on selection sunday.
03-10-2016 03:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.