Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SIU Basketball Postseason
Bookmark and Share
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
SIU has announced they are ending their season at 22-10, opting not to play in any postseason tournaments.

Reasons were players' health and the state's current budget impasse.

Coach Hinson said his team would not pay to play in a postseason tournament "as people are getting ready to lose their jobs."

http://www.dailyegyptian.com/sports/arti...c5adb.html
03-09-2016 11:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: SIU Basketball Postseason
Seniors must be real happy.
03-10-2016 12:29 AM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
That's a pretty aware decision. I wouldn't mind if NIU did the same. Even though more basketball is better.
03-10-2016 02:15 AM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
(03-09-2016 11:38 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  SIU has announced they are ending their season at 22-10, opting not to play in any postseason tournaments.

Coach Hinson said his team would not pay to play in a postseason tournament "as people are getting ready to lose their jobs."

That is not a bad pre-emptive move because the athletic side of the universities know darn well that when budgets are set for 2016-2017 academic year this summer that the academic side is going to be calling for athletics to take their fair share of cuts on the amount of "indirect institutional support" they receive because that money is coming right out of the academics. My sense is that is when you start to see some across the board cuts or athletic departments at each school start to cut a sport or two if they are over the NCAA mandated minimum.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 07:24 AM by Stpetebeachrocketfan.)
03-10-2016 07:23 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(03-10-2016 07:23 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 11:38 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  SIU has announced they are ending their season at 22-10, opting not to play in any postseason tournaments.

That is not a bad pre-emptive move because the athletic side of the universities know darn well that when budgets are set for 2016-2017 academic year this summer that the academic side is going to be calling for athletics to take their fair share of cuts on the amount of "indirect institutional support" they receive because that money is coming right out of the academics. My sense is that is when you start to see some across the board cuts or athletic departments at each school start to cut a sport or two if they are over the NCAA mandated minimum.

But look at UI, even though the money to pay Lovey is ath. dept raised mostly from the big ten network, how would you feel as an employee to see Lovey get $21m over 6 years, or Jim Harbaugh taking his team to Fl for a week of spring practice. Even though it won't happen, just the mention, after Jindel has left the state in financial shambles in Louisana could affect LSU football is eye opener. Just because these ath depts have money does not mean you have to spend it.
03-10-2016 09:49 AM
Advertisement

randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Sounds pretty sketchy to me. Budget crisis and player's health are worlds apart.Maybe he/AD he thinks they are like a Kentucky or ND and above anything other NCAA nowadays and is trying to make a stand. Actually for them, it seems it is NIT or don't bother.

He is paid to coach a team, not to take sides and decide "if" his team should play in post season.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 10:40 AM by randyfensfanclub1.)
03-10-2016 10:37 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I wonder if they explored having the postseason funded by a few wealthy donors? (Of course, that assumes there are wealthy SIU athletics donors.)
03-10-2016 10:40 AM
niu79 Offline
All American

Kind of a curious decision. If the cost of hosting a game is $35,000 and you keep the gate receipts, I would think you ought to be able to find a way to get to breakeven. In the article that dekalb222 posted, there were some schools that have worked a nice profit from those lesser tournaments.
03-10-2016 10:57 AM
DogPoundNorth Online
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(03-10-2016 10:57 AM)niu79 Wrote:  Kind of a curious decision. If the cost of hosting a game is $35,000 and you keep the gate receipts, I would think you ought to be able to find a way to get to breakeven. In the article that dekalb222 posted, there were some schools that have worked a nice profit from those lesser tournaments.

It's all about perception. They even said it wouldn't be right to pay for a post season tournament while plenty of people are about to lose their jobs at SIU. There have been PLENTY of articles about U of I spending 21 million dollars on a football coach while higher education in Illinois is crumbling. It doesn't put your school in a very good light (hence holding off on the Master Plan).
03-10-2016 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
(03-10-2016 10:40 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I wonder if they explored having the postseason funded by a few wealthy donors? (Of course, that assumes there are wealthy SIU athletics donors.)

That is cold but 03-lmfao03-lmfao

There are wealthy SIU alumni, Jim Belushi comes to mind. He could fund the hoops programs post season play by himself.
03-10-2016 02:08 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
If their team is really worn down and beat up than getting blown out in the first round of a tourney game would leave the team with a sour taste in their mouths for next year.

People need to get off criticizing U of I for athletic spending. They were going to pay CUbit about $1m next year and they are getting Smith for only $2m next year and $3m the following year. Since Tampa Bay owes him $5m each of the next 2 years, they are getting him at a very reasonable fee.
03-10-2016 02:11 PM
DogPoundNorth Online
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(03-10-2016 02:11 PM)Policiious Wrote:  If their team is really worn down and beat up than getting blown out in the first round of a tourney game would leave the team with a sour taste in their mouths for next year.

People need to get off criticizing U of I for athletic spending. They were going to pay CUbit about $1m next year and they are getting Smith for only $2m next year and $3m the following year. Since Tampa Bay owes him $5m each of the next 2 years, they are getting him at a very reasonable fee.

I'm not saying that it is wrong they made Lovie one of the highest paid coaches in CFB...and Illinois can certainly afford it. But........people are morons, so they take it as "Look, Illinois is spending millions of dollars on some dude and his staff, while Chicago state needs to close its doors"

Perception is reality.
03-10-2016 04:18 PM
niu79 Offline
All American

(03-10-2016 04:18 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 02:11 PM)Policiious Wrote:  If their team is really worn down and beat up than getting blown out in the first round of a tourney game would leave the team with a sour taste in their mouths for next year.

I'm not saying that it is wrong they made Lovie one of the highest paid coaches in CFB...and Illinois can certainly afford it. But........people are morons, so they take it as "Look, Illinois is spending millions of dollars on some dude and his staff, while Chicago state needs to close its doors"

Perception is reality.

Many people in our state are not even aware that we have state universities
struggling to stay open without a budget. Of course, U of I is living in its own universe, and is not struggling financially unlike Chicago State, EIU, WIU, SIU and NIU. I'm sure they feel no guilt/remorse in signing Lovie to a $21 million contract.
03-10-2016 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

Perception is reality.

Fact of the matter here is that the Jacksonville Jaguars owner, Shahid Khan, a graduate of U of I is paying $4M a year for the assistants. Lovie should be able to put together a decent staff with that.

NIU doesn't have any alum that owns a football team, do they???

The good here is that Lovie might really not be the highest paid state employee.
03-13-2016 07:16 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(03-10-2016 05:22 PM)niu79 Wrote:  

Perception is reality.

Many people in our state are not even aware that we have state universities
struggling to stay open without a budget. Of course, U of I is living in its own universe, and is not struggling financially unlike Chicago State, EIU, WIU, SIU and NIU. I'm sure they feel no guilt/remorse in signing Lovie to a $21 million contract.

The only thing they may have remorse about is being the worst athletic program in the state right now
03-13-2016 09:52 PM
Nehru Jacket Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Diversity
Jenny McCarthy is an SIU alum. She could sponsor an entire tournament with her cooter.
03-14-2016 01:00 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2016 01:00 PM)Nehru Jacket Wrote:  Jenny McCarthy is an SIU alum. She could sponsor an entire tournament with her cooter.

I imagine she was fairly "popular" back then...
03-14-2016 01:05 PM
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(03-14-2016 01:05 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 01:00 PM)Nehru Jacket Wrote:  Jenny McCarthy is an SIU alum. She could sponsor an entire tournament with her cooter.

Hell she could've been popular with me and I'd have died a happy man... lucky bastard Jim Carey

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
03-14-2016 01:34 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(03-14-2016 01:34 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 01:05 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

Hell she could've been popular with me and I'd have died a happy man... lucky bastard Jim Carey

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Curtains never matched the shades. I went to NIU with some gals that knew her. Her hair was rather ravenesque in HS. They just laughed when they saw her blonde.
03-14-2016 07:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.