Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reconstitute a WAC
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Reconstitute a WAC
Pull apart neighboring conferences to recreate a WAC.
03-04-2016 08:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
RE: Reconstitute a WAC
CSU Bakersfield (non-football)
Chicago State (non-football)
Eastern Washington
Grand Canyon (non-football)
Idaho
James Madison (football only)
UMKC (non-football)
Montana
Montana State
New Mexico State
Liberty (football only)
Seattle (non-football)
Texas Pan Am (non-football)
UMass (football only)
Utah Valley (non-football)
03-04-2016 08:48 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Reconstitute a WAC
(03-04-2016 08:48 PM)Chappy Wrote:  CSU Bakersfield (non-football)
Eastern Washington
Idaho
UMKC (non-football)
Montana
Montana State
New Mexico State
Liberty (football only)
Seattle (non-football)
UMass (football only)

Lol. A true east coast to west coast conference.

P5s can't afford that.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 08:53 PM by JMU2004.)
03-04-2016 08:53 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

(03-04-2016 08:48 PM)Chappy Wrote:  CSU Bakersfield (non-football)
Eastern Washington
Idaho
UMKC (non-football)
Montana
Montana State
New Mexico State
Liberty (football only)
Seattle (non-football)
UMass (football only)

So now YOU'RE trolling me?!
03-04-2016 08:56 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Well, reconstructing the WAC an impossible task.

I basically took the current WAC, added Idaho, EWU, Montana and Montana State as full members, and then added the few schools that have been rumored to want to play FBS football (JMU and Liberty) as football only members and gave a home to independent FBS UMass football. That gave them the minimum 8 football members.

Problem is, the Montana Schools, JMU and UMass would probably have no interest in this mess.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 09:01 PM by Chappy.)
03-04-2016 08:58 PM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

Here's my version:

Houston
Tulsa
SMU
BYU
UTEP
Texas-San Antonio
North Texas
Rice
New Mexico
New Mexico St.
Utah St.
Boise St.
Colorado St
Wyoming
Idaho
Texas St
03-04-2016 09:01 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Reconstitute a WAC
Hi David
03-04-2016 09:07 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

(03-04-2016 09:07 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Hi David

Nope, though I understand why you think so. Don't think we've ever been in the same thread.
03-04-2016 09:09 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(03-04-2016 09:07 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Hi David

01-ncaabbs
03-04-2016 09:13 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
If forming a new conference were a viable option, I could see an FCS "Great Northern Conference", organized by academic snobbery.

Start with Montana, Montana State, IDaho, Idaho State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State.
Schools like Denver (#86), Seattle (#6 West), UM-Kansas City (#194) would be recruited. UN-Omaha would get discussed because of location, Wichita State because of their basketball, but I don't know if the presidents want either one.
03-04-2016 09:15 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

The first sentence intrigued me, but the rest is silly, IMO.
03-04-2016 09:18 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
The WAC had interest from the following:

Liberty
Jacksonville St
Lamar
Sam Houston St
S F Austin

Together with NMSU, Denver, Idaho, and Seattle, it could have patched together a conference that would have needed waivers from the NCAA to satisfy the FBS scheduling and transitioning requirements. Idaho and Seattle were apparently opposed to the plan, because they couldn't convince the Montanas to come aboard that contraption.
03-04-2016 10:48 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(03-04-2016 10:48 PM)NoDak Wrote:  The WAC had interest from the following:

Liberty
Jacksonville St
Lamar
Sam Houston St
S F Austin

Together with NMSU, Denver, Idaho, and Seattle, it could have patched together a conference that would have needed waivers from the NCAA to satisfy the FBS scheduling and transitioning requirements. Idaho and Seattle were apparently opposed to the plan, because they couldn't convince the Montanas to come aboard that contraption.

That would have required 8 football playing members that were also full members. I don't have anything solid to go on but how many of those schools would have been full members who played football? Speaking for Liberty, we probably would have gone along with whatever to get us to FBS but it would have sucked to have no nearby schools and it would have really sucked for everyone else if we didn't have a travel partner.
03-04-2016 11:13 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-04-2016 11:13 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

Liberty
Jacksonville St
Lamar
Sam Houston St
S F Austin

That would have required 8 football playing members that were also full members. I don't have anything solid to go on but how many of those schools would have been full members who played football? Speaking for Liberty, we probably would have gone along with whatever to get us to FBS but it would have sucked to have no nearby schools and it would have really sucked for everyone else if we didn't have a travel partner.

That the problem with a conference like that as everybody wants to leave the first chance they get.

Have to assume Youngstown State and Tressel wanted FBS so badly that they would accepted an offer too. That would have made eight FBS.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 11:59 PM by NoDak.)
03-04-2016 11:58 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
It was a lot of travel for all sports. I was a fan of the idea. I dont believe the Wac east plan can be restarted.
03-06-2016 09:34 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

Liberty
Jacksonville St
Lamar
Sam Houston St
S F Austin

Add UTC
Bama St
Eku
Youngstown
U del
Jmu
umass football only
villanova football only
or some combination of these and you have a conferenc

nmsu and idaho is just too far out to be all sports unless theyre in a different division
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2016 09:42 PM by cleburneslim.)
03-06-2016 09:38 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-06-2016 09:38 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  

Liberty
Jacksonville St
Lamar
Sam Houston St
S F Austin

Add UTC
Bama St
Eku
Youngstown
U del
Jmu
umass football only
villanova football only

nmsu and idaho is just too far out to be all sports unless theyre in a different division
Villanova, Delaware, UMass, Delaware are incompatible with the rest. They have major issues with the Sun Belt, and this would be a toilet flush in comparison.
03-06-2016 10:18 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Reconstitute a WAC
James Madison, Delaware, and Stony Brook need C-USA East to split off to have any shot at FBS.
03-06-2016 10:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
I think the Sun Belt's decision to part ways with Idaho and NMSU will have impacts on the WAC, but there's virtually no chance of it triggering the WAC's reconstitution as an FBS conference.

After the WAC lost most of its football members in 2012 and 2013, NCAA rules gave the WAC a two-year grace period to get back up to having the minimum eight FBS schools as full members to keep its status as an FBS conference. The two years went by, it didn't happen, and the WAC is no longer eligible for FBS status without an NCAA rules waiver. The current FBS conferences have no motivation to support such a waiver, so it's doubtful the NCAA would ever grant one. This would be true even if Idaho were willing to rejoin NMSU in the WAC, and the conference somehow succeeded in recruiting six of the eight top-funded FCS athletic programs west of the Mississippi -- UC Davis, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Sac State, Cal Poly, Montana, Northern Arizona, and Montana State -- to move up to FBS and join the WAC also.

However it is possible that, with NMSU's participation and leadership, the WAC could sponsor a new southwestern FCS football conference. This would require a few unlikely but not implausible things to happen.

First, Idaho would have to drop down to FCS and join the Big Sky, pushing its football membership to a bloated 14. Second, western and southern members of the Big Sky would have to decide they'd had enough of long road trips to icy Idaho, Montana and North Dakota. And third, NMSU would also have to drop down to FCS, but instead of seeking membership in the Big Sky or Southland, convince the WAC to sponsor FCS football and recruit disaffected members from the Big Sky.

For the record, I think that NMSU would be better off staying at the FBS level as an independent than dropping down. But if the school administration opts for FCS, it would be crazy for NMSU to join a supersized Big Sky or Southland conference and be stuck playing schools like Idaho State and Northern Colorado or Houston Baptist and Nicholls State. A strong new regional FCS conference affiliated with the WAC would be a much better home for NMSU.

The target schools to recruit from the Big Sky would be the four western and southern Big Sky outliers on the top-funded list above, i.e. UC Davis, Sac State, Cal Poly, and Northern Arizona, plus Portland State which had the best overall record among Big Sky schools in 2015 (including wins over FBS Washington State and North Texas) and is rebuilding its fan base. Having those five plus NMSU would qualify the new conference for an FCS playoff auto-bid. In the longer run UTRGV's start-up football program could be added to give the conference a Texas presence.

The side benefit of this strategy is that it would enable the WAC to replace Chicago State and UMKC with Portland State and Northern Arizona for non-football sports (presumably UC Davis and Cal Poly would leave their non-football sports in the Big West, and Sac State would put its non-football sports there as well). This would return the WAC to not only being a football-sponsoring conference but also a true western conference with reasonable travel.

In the new age of Division I athletics, if you're not a Power 5 conference you want to stay regional to control costs and keep your membership small enough to give everyone a good shot at the post-season. NMSU is a big dog in the WAC and has an opportunity to leverage its influence to re-make the WAC to fit that model and improve its own circumstances. I think that's a better option for the Aggies than becoming the 11th or 12th or 15th football member of an existing FCS conference where NMSU will have the same outlier stigma it had in the Sun Belt.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 05:43 AM by HawaiiMongoose.)
03-07-2016 04:55 AM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

(03-06-2016 10:18 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 09:38 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  

Liberty
Jacksonville St
Lamar
Sam Houston St
S F Austin

Add UTC
Bama St
Eku
Youngstown
U del
Jmu
umass football only
villanova football only

Villanova, Delaware, UMass, Delaware are incompatible with the rest. They have major issues with the Sun Belt, and this would be a toilet flush in comparison.

Then you can easily see why I said it will not happen. Too much geography to acquire schools to participate.
03-07-2016 06:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.