Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marine Corps veteran says he became target of hate crime
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Marine Corps veteran says he became target of hate crime
This **** is starting to get out of control... one group of people that you dont wanna piss off are Marine Veterans.

Quote:COLUMBUS — A Marine Corps veteran says he became a random target in the Short North and police are consulting with prosecutors to determine if the case is a hate crime.

Grant Gray enlisted in the Marines in 2011 and served seven months in Afghanistan last year. "My job in the Marine Corps was the 7-51. It's aircraft rescue and firefighting," Gray told ABC 6/FOX 28 from his home near Lima. "Pretty much rescuing downed pilots when they crash."

He's now studying sports management at Miami University and has been thinking about transferring to OSU for business. He came here to Columbus out homes and apartments Friday.

But he says rather than finding support, he was the recipient of hate. "I don't remember too much because I have a pretty severe concussion," Gray said.

Gray went to the Pint House in the Short North Friday night with his high school friend. He stepped outside to make a call when he said he was approached and beaten unconscious. Gray said he remembered waking up at Grant Medical Center with the concussion and broken nose

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/mar...hate-crime
03-01-2016 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Marine Corps veteran says he became target of hate crime
Same thing happened to a white (hispanic) ex Marine in DC. Thugs approached in McDonalds screaming in his face
"do black lives matter", so the guy left and was attacked outside. Edit make that 2 in DC.

D.C. police have arrested two teenagers in connection with an attack this month on a Marine veteran who said he was beaten outside a downtown Washington McDonald’s in a racially motivated incident.

The arrests, confirmed by D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier and a department statement, come five days after the surveillance video was released showing the veteran, Christopher A. Marquez, being struck in the back of the head and then robbed as he lay face down on a sidewalk. Another man is seen kicking him before the attackers run away.

Marquez, 30, is a student at American University who served eight years in the Marines and fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was awarded a Bronze Star Medal.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pub...story.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016...ed-and-le/
03-01-2016 02:54 PM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(03-01-2016 02:54 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Same thing happened to a white (hispanic) ex Marine in DC. Thugs approached in McDonalds screaming in his face
"do black lives matter", so the guy left and was attacked outside. Edit make that 2 in DC.

D.C. police have arrested two teenagers in connection with an attack this month on a Marine veteran who said he was beaten outside a downtown Washington McDonald’s in a racially motivated incident.

The arrests, confirmed by D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier and a department statement, come five days after the surveillance video was released showing the veteran, Christopher A. Marquez, being struck in the back of the head and then robbed as he lay face down on a sidewalk. Another man is seen kicking him before the attackers run away.

Marquez, 30, is a student at American University who served eight years in the Marines and fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was awarded a Bronze Star Medal.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pub...story.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016...ed-and-le/

Question for the lawyers on this one. If he is targeted because he is white then that as I understand it is a hate crime, but the FBI definition of a hate crime is "a traditional offense like murder, arson, or vandalism with an added element of bias" where "an element of bias" could include political opinion (that is to say not supporting BLM - and I suppose you could argue whether asking if black lives matter constitutes asking support for the BLM movement in the current climate) but for statistical purposes the FBI defines a hate crime as "a criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity” which does not include political opinion. So if he is assaulted because he didn't give a satisfactory response to "do black lives matter" then could that be a hate crime?

I've probably been watching too many episodes of Boston Legal and The Practice.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 03:36 PM by ODUgradstudent.)
03-01-2016 03:32 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(03-01-2016 02:39 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  This **** is starting to get out of control... one group of people that you dont wanna piss off are Marine Veterans.

Quote:COLUMBUS — A Marine Corps veteran says he became a random target in the Short North and police are consulting with prosecutors to determine if the case is a hate crime.

Grant Gray enlisted in the Marines in 2011 and served seven months in Afghanistan last year. "My job in the Marine Corps was the 7-51. It's aircraft rescue and firefighting," Gray told ABC 6/FOX 28 from his home near Lima. "Pretty much rescuing downed pilots when they crash."

He's now studying sports management at Miami University and has been thinking about transferring to OSU for business. He came here to Columbus out homes and apartments Friday.

But he says rather than finding support, he was the recipient of hate. "I don't remember too much because I have a pretty severe concussion," Gray said.

Gray went to the Pint House in the Short North Friday night with his high school friend. He stepped outside to make a call when he said he was approached and beaten unconscious. Gray said he remembered waking up at Grant Medical Center with the concussion and broken nose

Not sure these guys are being targeted because they're jarheads. In two of the three cases we've read about, the guys were out late at night drinking and I presume weren't wearing uniforms or anything saying "look at me, I'm a Marine veteran."
In the other one, the guy was out late at night at a McDonald's in a part of DC you don't want to be out late at night in if you're of a certain ethnicity.

Besides, aren't these all in different cities?

I do know media tends to look for similarities in stories, and in this day and age they're easy to find. I.e., I' m the cop reporter and I find out a guy was mugged and he's a USMC veteran. Just doing my due diligence, I can ask cops if there've been similar attacks and I can use Google and find other crimes else where.

Those folks prone to seeing patterns where they might not exist could call it a war on Marine veterans, whether there's truth to the claim or not.

By same token, the truth could be that someone read about the Marine in DC getting attacked and decided to do the same in Columbus, Ohio.
03-01-2016 05:07 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(03-01-2016 05:07 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 02:39 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  This **** is starting to get out of control... one group of people that you dont wanna piss off are Marine Veterans.

Not sure these guys are being targeted because they're jarheads. In two of the three cases we've read about, the guys were out late at night drinking and I presume weren't wearing uniforms or anything saying "look at me, I'm a Marine veteran."
In the other one, the guy was out late at night at a McDonald's in a part of DC you don't want to be out late at night in if you're of a certain ethnicity.

I do know media tends to look for similarities in stories, and in this day and age they're easy to find. I.e., I' m the cop reporter and I find out a guy was mugged and he's a USMC veteran. Just doing my due diligence, I can ask cops if there've been similar attacks and I can use Google and find other crimes else where.

Those folks prone to seeing patterns where they might not exist could call it a war on Marine veterans, whether there's truth to the claim or not.

By same token, the truth could be that someone read about the Marine in DC getting attacked and decided to do the same in Columbus, Ohio.

I dont think anybody is claiming that they are being attacked because they are Marines, I am just saying that we are not the group to be messed with.
03-01-2016 06:01 PM
Advertisement

gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(03-01-2016 06:01 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

I dont think anybody is claiming that they are being attacked because they are Marines, I am just saying that we are not the group to be messed with.

Now I get your drift. I think. You're saying Marines as a group don't take too kindly to those who attack fellow Marines, regardless of the intent. Fair enough.

I'd suggest there are other groups equally 'not to be messed with,' by the way.
03-02-2016 11:59 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt

Neither attack happened in a bad neighborhood of DC.
03-02-2016 12:20 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
This is not an attack on former Marines, as the thugs have no idea who they are other than a white guy. It is the continuing national
pattern of black on white knockout game. If you are a white guy anywhere in the usa and you see a group of black male teens, or into their 20's,
you better keep your head on a swivel or better yet GTFO of Dodge.
03-02-2016 12:59 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-02-2016 12:59 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  This is not an attack on former Marines, as the thugs have no idea who they are other than a white guy. It is the continuing national
pattern of black on white knockout game. If you are a white guy anywhere in the usa and you see a group of black male teens, or into their 20's,
you better keep your head on a swivel or better yet GTFO of Dodge.

I've lived dawwum heyar for 41.5.....one learns to carry early and often...

I've learned how to use my mouth better than any dial-a-ho....dems laugh at my nutzo too....

ain't nuttin' crazier than a crazy white fkr.....the latter should be trump's walk-t0-poo-p0-poddy podium.....cruz and rubes can snort the residual from the former...

edit: blue ribbon for those that need the sanding of the pantslez.....

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 09:44 PM by stinkfist.)
03-02-2016 09:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.