Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What would it take for your school to leave the ACC?
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The media and internet are full of stories speculating about scenarios in which ACC schools would leave the conference. Some responses say (insert name of school here) would never leave. On the theory that everybody has their price, what would your school's be? What would another conference have to offer to pry you loose from the ACC?

That price doesn't have to be just cash (though it could be). Maybe it's as little as not doing something you want the league to do. Maybe it involves getting guarantees that certain rivalries would be preserved for you (or created for you). Maybe it's an invite for your favorite partner.

And maybe the ACC itself would be willing to ease your exit if that solved some problems for the league or some of its members. The league could, if it chose, waive exit fees and GoR obligations if they felt it was in the league's interest to do so.

Does your school have a price?
02-27-2016 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: What would it take for your school to leave the ACC?
(02-27-2016 11:54 AM)ken d Wrote:  The media and internet are full of stories speculating about scenarios in which ACC schools would leave the conference. Some responses say (insert name of school here) would never leave. On the theory that everybody has their price, what would your school's be? What would another conference have to offer to pry you loose from the ACC?

That price doesn't have to be just cash (though it could be). Maybe it's as little as not doing something you want the league to do. Maybe it involves getting guarantees that certain rivalries would be preserved for you (or created for you). Maybe it's an invite for your favorite partner.

And maybe the ACC itself would be willing to ease your exit if that solved some problems for the league or some of its members. The league could, if it chose, waive exit fees and GoR obligations if they felt it was in the league's interest to do so.

Does your school have a price?

Louisville is totally happy to be in the ACC. 07-coffee3
02-27-2016 12:31 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

What would it take for Louisville to leave the ACC? FSU to leave & invite the Cards to go with them. I don't see the Cards leaving alone, or even getting a solo invite from the SEC. The B12 could potentially offer a solo invite but without friends going with us then it would be a non starter. Other than that the ACC would have to collapse. Louisville is in the ACC for better or worse.
02-27-2016 12:36 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2016 12:36 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  What would it take for Louisville to leave the ACC? FSU to leave & invite the Cards to go with them. I don't see the Cards leaving alone, or even getting a solo invite from the SEC. The B12 could potentially offer a solo invite but without friends going with us then it would be a non starter. Other than that the ACC would have to collapse. Louisville is in the ACC for better or worse.

What if the Big 12 invited both Louisville and Pitt? And also offered other incentives to sweeten the deal? Or is it FSU or nobody?
02-27-2016 12:41 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-27-2016 12:41 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-27-2016 12:36 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  What would it take for Louisville to leave the ACC? FSU to leave & invite the Cards to go with them. I don't see the Cards leaving alone, or even getting a solo invite from the SEC. The B12 could potentially offer a solo invite but without friends going with us then it would be a non starter. Other than that the ACC would have to collapse. Louisville is in the ACC for better or worse.

What if the Big 12 invited both Louisville and Pitt? And also offered other incentives to sweeten the deal? Or is it FSU or nobody?

Why would any school want to move to a situation where there is more risk and no guarantees?
02-27-2016 01:06 PM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt

Pitt would have zero interest in going to the Big 12 from the ACC even with Louisville.
02-27-2016 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

It's pretty much FSU & nobody else. FSU & Clemson are the strength of ACC football. In my opinion Louisville needs southern/southeastern schools in our conference to be able to compete in recruiting at a high level. The ACC has always been my top choice but if the ACC collapsed I would be happy with being apart of an eastern division in the B12 with FSU & others. I would prefer the ACC to strengthen itself by adding B12 brands &/or a network.
02-27-2016 01:13 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2016 01:11 PM)MKPitt Wrote:  

Pitt would have zero interest in going to the Big 12 from the ACC even with Louisville.

Not even if the B12 paid you $20 million a year more?
02-27-2016 01:14 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Culturally Louisville would be a fish out of water on island like West Virginia. Louisville's destiny has never been aligned with Pitt's. Sorry. 07-coffee3
02-27-2016 01:15 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

For Louisville it's not so much about the money as it is the competition & recruiting grounds. Louisville had an AD budget over $80 million while making only $3.5 million from the BE. ACC money is plenty, especially with the coming stadium expansion. Our AD budget is now over $100 million & 3rd best in the ACC, behind only FSU & ND. The ACC needs to find additional revenue to help out FSU, Clemson & the others.
02-27-2016 01:26 PM
MegaCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
An invite to the Big 12.

Just kidding. I love the ACC.
02-27-2016 03:01 PM
Advertisement

GTTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GT and Clemson
I am quite happy that the two teams I root for Georgia Tech and Clemson are in the ACC.

Only if the ACC isn't a viable power 5 conference would I want them to leave.
02-27-2016 03:11 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2016 01:11 PM)MKPitt Wrote:  

How about the Big Ten?
02-27-2016 03:40 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Cuse fans are happy in the ACC. We miss the BE for Hoops but overall we are associating with awesome schools and mostly awesome fans (of other schools). ACC>>B1G for us.
02-27-2016 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
In November of 2012 all it would have took inviting UConn. Clemson wasn't alone.

Not sure what the current parameters are but I do know that it's been an ongoing discussion due to the increasing revenue disparity between us and our regional rivals.I would imagine the biggest influence would be when our leaders feel we are at a point where financially we can't compete.

There are people in positions of influence at Clemson that feel they were sold a bill of goods by the ACC administration and by our former president in exchange for approval for the GOR. That's not going to happen in the future, there will have to be written assurances from the conference.
02-27-2016 04:28 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
For VT, it would take the ACC falling apart in a major way. Say UNC UVA to the B1G, and Miami FSU GT Clemson to the Big 12. That would probably leave NCST and VT to the SEC.
02-27-2016 04:29 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
For Pitt, I tend to think we'd sink with the ship if it actually came to that point. It would make no sense for the B1G to add Pitt and probably even less sense for the SEC to call.... I don't see the B12 as an option being that Pitt turned down the B12 and joined the ACC.
02-27-2016 04:35 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(02-27-2016 04:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  For VT, it would take the ACC falling apart in a major way. Say UNC UVA to the B1G, and Miami FSU GT Clemson to the Big 12. That would probably leave NCST and VT to the SEC.

I think this is true of most of the current ACC schools. Something catastrophic would have to happen with the current membership.
02-27-2016 04:45 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(02-27-2016 04:28 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  In November of 2012 all it would have took inviting UConn. Clemson wasn't alone.

Not sure what the current parameters are but I do know that it's been an ongoing discussion due to the increasing revenue disparity between us and our regional rivals.I would imagine the biggest influence would be when our leaders feel we are at a point where financially we can't compete.

There are people in positions of influence at Clemson that feel they were sold a bill of goods by the ACC administration and by our former president in exchange for approval for the GOR. That's not going to happen in the future, there will have to be written assurances from the conference.

The addition of Syracuse and Pittsburgh got FSU and Clemson a $2 million per year bump in pay. How much did Maryland bring to each school in the B1G?
02-27-2016 05:44 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I realize that there aren't many schools (if any) who are looking to leave the ACC. What I'm looking for is "what is the offer you couldn't refuse?"

For example, if the SEC were to announce that Florida State, Clemson, Va Tech and NC State had accepted invitations to join, and the B1G countered by offering to take UNC, Virginia, Duke and Ga Tech, would Carolina be willing to "go down with the ship" facing the likelihood of a loss of Power conference status?

I'm not looking for likely to happen. I'm looking for how dire would it have to get before your school considered other offers.
02-27-2016 06:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.