Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Please say a Great Big NO to Jeff Capel
Bookmark and Share
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Please say a Great Big NO to Jeff Capel
My two cents on Jeff Capel, who like Andy Kennedy, should not be in consideration for our soon-to-be-vacant head coaching position. I worked a lot in OK during his 5-year tenure, and OK fans quickly grew to loathe him.

* Capel lucked out and signed Blake Griffin after going 16-15 in his first year at OK.
* A local Ok City kid from a small, private school, Blake committed in May of his HS junior year, after taking no visits besides 30 miles south to Norman.
* Blake blew up, had 2 great seasons, became NPOY and #1 pick in NBA draft.
* Next 2 seasons after Blake left, U of OK went 27-36. First 2 consecutive losing season at OK in over 40 years.
* This despite having 3 McDonalds AA on roster. This is after Blake left.
* Attendance plummeted. Boosters revolted.
* Fired March 16th, 2011. U of OK pays a $1.75M buyout to be done with him.

Does all this sound very familiar to the situation with our current coach?

Capel goes home to Duke to lick his wounds, where Coach K gives him a job.

But, since he's 41 and a Duke assistant, some, like John Martin, think he should be considered for our HC job. No thanks.

Last, how many of you have ever heard this guy talk? He is boring, makes you want to take a nap.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016 02:49 PM by Tigx.)
02-26-2016 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: Please say a Great Big NO to Jeff Capel
Ok Kennedy is crossed out as is Capel

NEXT
02-26-2016 01:44 PM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

I Root For: Memphis
Quote:U of OK pays a $1.75M buyout to be done with him.

Man, must be nice.
02-26-2016 01:45 PM
BERT56 Offline
Resident Slappy

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(02-26-2016 01:43 PM)Tigx Wrote:  My two cents on Jeff Capel, who like Andy Kennedy, should not be in consideration for our soon-to-be-vacant head coaching position. I worked a lot in OK during his 5-year tenure, and OK fans quickly grew to loathe him.

* Capel lucked out and signed Blake Griffin and going 16-15 in his first year at OK.
* A local Ok City kid from a small, private school, Blake committed in May of his HS junior year, after taking no visits besides 30 miles south to Norman. Blake blew up, had 2 great seasons, became NPOY and #1 pick in NBA draft.
* Next 2 seasons after Blake left, U of OK went 27-36. First 2 consecutive losing season at OK in over 40 years.
* This despite having 3 McDonalds AA on roster. This is after Blake left.
* Attendance plummeted. Boosters revolted.
* Fired March 16th, 2011. U of OK pays a $1.75M buyout to be done with him.

Does all this sound very familiar to the situation with our current coach?

Capel goes home to Duke to lick his wounds, where Coach K gives him a job.

But, since he's 41 and a Duke assistant, some, like John Martin, think he should be considered for our HC job. No thanks.

Last, how many of you have ever heard this guy talk? He is boring, makes you want to take a nap.

So he's Ben Carson?
02-26-2016 01:45 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2016 01:44 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Ok Kennedy is crossed out as is Capel

NEXT

Thanks, that was easy.

One thing that gives me encouragement. Bowen has done a nice job finding, hiring and developing young coaches and administrators.

Bowen did have a part in giving Josh this ridiculous contract. And he seems to look for a new job every year. And he is poor with the media, and kind of abrasive in person.

But, he has done a good job with new hires. Fingers crossed.
02-26-2016 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(02-26-2016 01:49 PM)Tigx Wrote:  
(02-26-2016 01:44 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Ok Kennedy is crossed out as is Capel

NEXT

Thanks, that was easy.

One thing that gives me encouragement. Bowen has done a nice job finding, hiring and developing young coaches and administrators.

Bowen did have a part in giving Josh this ridiculous contract. And he seems to look for a new job every year. And he is poor with the media, and kind of abrasive in person.

But, he has done a good job with new hires. Fingers crossed.

Bowen had NOTHING to do with Josh's contract except for signing his name while he was hanging from a twig from 40 feet up. Think Vanilla Ice and Suge Knight

Sadly he's basically in the same situation with this hire
02-26-2016 01:52 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(02-26-2016 01:43 PM)Tigx Wrote:  Last, how many of you have ever heard this guy talk? He is boring, makes you want to take a nap.

After listening to Pastner the first couple of years "winning is hard, they run great stuff, good team, well coached, dear friend, gotta make shots" etc etc, listening to Pastner would bore you too.
02-26-2016 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2016 02:39 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(02-26-2016 01:43 PM)Tigx Wrote:  Last, how many of you have ever heard this guy talk? He is boring, makes you want to take a nap.

After listening to Pastner the first couple of years "winning is hard, they run great stuff, good team, well coached, dear friend, gotta make shots" etc etc, listening to Pastner would bore you too.

No doubt, Pastner is a bore with his memorized, Tony Robbins wannabe happy talk.

Capel is a different kind of boring. Talks slow, kind of monotone. While Josh still sounds like a high schooler, Capel sounds like he is about 60 instead of 41.
02-26-2016 02:45 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(02-26-2016 02:45 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

No doubt, Pastner is a bore with his memorized, Tony Robbins wannabe happy talk.

Capel is a different kind of boring. Talks slow, kind of monotone. While Josh still sounds like a high schooler, Capel sounds like he is about 60 instead of 41.

like he's about to break out into song (Chicago's "Old Days"?) LOL
02-26-2016 02:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2016 02:45 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

Like Saban? Or more like Belichek? Maybe Popp?

I don't think Capel is right for the job either. But press conference charisma has zero to do with anything.
02-26-2016 10:07 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think Capel is right for the job either. But press conference charisma has zero to do with anything.
[/quote]

I disagree 87. Saban at LSU or the Dolphins or Bama, or Pop with the Spurs, or Belicheck with the Patriots don't have to be as much as a promoter of the product.
LSU and Bama and the Pats have been sold out for years. And Saban and Belicheck are at least interesting, even if they are abrasive.

We are averaging 6K in a 19K building. Apathy is as big a problem as the product on the court. We need someone who can excite the fan base.
02-26-2016 10:13 PM
elmoshow21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
If we go the second chance route, we should consider Darrin Horn who is working under Shaka Smart at Texas. He didn't win at South Carolina but it's taken Frank Martin four years with European transplants to win there so obviously it's not an ideal basketball job. Horn's up-tempo pressing style could work well here.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016 10:34 PM by elmoshow21.)
02-26-2016 10:31 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Darrin Horn and John Pelphrey are what we are trying to avoid - hot names at smaller schools that couldn't cut it at the next level.
02-26-2016 11:22 PM
Advertisement

elmoshow21 Offline
2nd String

(02-26-2016 11:22 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Darrin Horn and John Pelphrey are what we are trying to avoid - hot names at smaller schools that couldn't cut it at the next level.

Yes but ironically the best big name we could reasonably get is Buzz Williams who has struggled to find progress at Va Tech.
02-27-2016 12:08 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2016 10:13 PM)Tigx Wrote:  After listening to Pastner the first couple of years "winning is hard, they run great stuff, good team, well coached, dear friend, gotta make shots" etc etc, listening to Pastner would bore you too.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree 87. Saban at LSU or the Dolphins or Bama, or Pop with the Spurs, or Belicheck with the Patriots don't have to be as much as a promoter of the product.
LSU and Bama and the Pats have been sold out for years. And Saban and Belicheck are at least interesting, even if they are abrasive.

We are averaging 6K in a 19K building. Apathy is as big a problem as the product on the court. We need someone who can excite the fan base.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Personally, media appeal won't matter to me to get me back. But I can see how it would others.
02-27-2016 12:11 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

Bumping my thread from February.

Just in case we miss on our top targets and get desperate, a reminder that Jeff Capel should never be on our list.
04-08-2016 09:49 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-27-2016 12:08 AM)elmoshow21 Wrote:  Yes but ironically the best big name we could reasonably get is Buzz Williams who has struggled to find progress at Va Tech.

I would take Buzz Williams. Try for Gregg Marshall, etc., but Buzz needs to be on the list somewhere.
04-08-2016 09:52 AM
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

No way on Capel. Marshall or Miller would be a home run hire, but I don't see that happening. Buzz Williams is good. After that we probably slide down to a winning coach at a smaller program.
04-08-2016 09:56 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2016 09:52 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(02-27-2016 12:08 AM)elmoshow21 Wrote:  Yes but ironically the best big name we could reasonably get is Buzz Williams who has struggled to find progress at Va Tech.

I would take Buzz Williams. Try for Gregg Marshall, etc., but Buzz needs to be on the list somewhere.

I like Buzz Williams too. Maybe more than Marshall. Plus he's only 43 years old.
04-08-2016 09:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.